Burkey does well, gets JVR!

Discussion in 'Hockey Talk' started by m_peroni, Jun 23, 2012.

1. m_peroni

m_peroni Hall of Fame

Details to follow, but Toronto traded Luke Schenn to the Flyers for JVR.

Schenn, from what i saw, is nothing more than a common stay at home d-man with physical strengths. JVR is a top six forward at a young age who can mature to a first liner.

Details better be good for the Flyers because this is a steal so far for Toronto.

2. rikster

rikster 2nd Team All-Star

Pretty sure Leaf fans will be happy...

Take care...

3. Sir Rodney

Interesting that Schen was offered to the Canucks for Luongo and was turned down. I haven't heard what else was involved in that deal but this is a good move for Burke. The question I have is why did the Flyers make that deal?

4. Janus

Janus NHL

Looks like a one-for-one deal. I like Schenn and I think with the right environment he can develop into a heck of a defensive d-man. I'm kinda sad we won't get to see what Carlyle could do with him but JVR does address a more immediate need. He's not the centre we need but a top six with his size helps.

I wonder if the Leafs will try Kessel at centre between JVR and Lupul. Kessel has played centre in the past and barring the Leafs actually landing a legit first line centre this might be the best available option if they can workl on his faceoff ability. Even if Kadri or Colbourne can crack the lineup this year there's no way either should be on the first line.

5. m_peroni

m_peroni Hall of Fame

Because it is a typical Flyers move, SR. They are so infatuated with players like Luke Schenn. He is the brother of Brayden as well. But really, they needed a d-man. They think this guy will be a key shut down d-man. It's possible, but i think he is a Bryan Allen type of d-man. Solid, steady, and will be dependable.

Still......that, or a scoring winger who is very young and can be a first liner in his prime years?

I wonder how truthful it is that Schenn was offered for Luongo. Did either team say so? If Vancouver turned down that deal then they must be kidding themselves if they think they will get a better offer.

But anyway, i like this deal for the Leafs. I can see them signing someone like Allen to solidify the defense in place of Schenn. I think Carlyle will be able to work with a better team in training camp. The key is Reimer and goaltending. I think that if Burke gets Luongo then it makes it into a lie when he said that he believed in Reimer and that he is "the real deal". I'd like to see Reimer have another chance without any injuries.

I actually feel good about this Toronto team now. If they get Luongo, even better.

6. maineblackbear

maineblackbear 1st Team All-Star

Now see...while I do believe JVR has 1st liune upside, I dont think he will reach that level. Not that he will not be a good player. He certainly will. I just see him as a good solid 2nd line guy. He is big, but doesnt use his size effectively. Thats generally a skill that comes with time, so that IMHO is where his "ceiling" will lie...how effectively he can use his size to establish position and win those 1 on 1 battles.

I think this trade is a win-win for both teams. They both dealt from positions of relative strength and added solid players to fill readily apparent holes in their line-ups.

Later

7. Clint27

Clint27 MVP

I think that it was a good trade for both teams. Schenn has lost his confidence, and playing with a team like Philadelphia will go a long way to getting him back to where he was a couple of years ago. As long as he plays within himself and doesn't try to do it all, he'll be a good, dependable player.

JVR will probably be the one moved to centre, not Kessel..if either are. It will be interesting to see what they do with him....Grabo/Kulemin/MacArthur have good chemistry, as do Lupul and Kessel...so would JVR replace Bozak at centre?

Good trade for both teams, regardless...

8. Shakes

Shakes MVP

I think it was a fair deal. I think that Toronto has some additional irons in the fire on the defensive front and if not then they can continue to promote within the existing core. Schenn I hate loosing him but my fear with him all along was his lack of a two way game......I just wish that the Leafs kept Aulie and let him play under Carlyle but oh well......

Where is my bone crushing tough as nails defender I love? Schenn was the last hope on this front but he had his short comings but I still liked him and thought he could develop to a very solid shut down guy but his poor season's was starting to wear on me.

They still lack top notch centers......and I do not see anything yet that makes sense.

9. Clint27

Clint27 MVP

I agree with you on Aulie...I didn't like what I saw out of Ashton....but thought that Aulie played quite well with Phaneuf. Patience, patience....