Canucks looking to trade Ehrhoff's rights

Discussion in 'Hockey Talk' started by Die-hard1, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Die-hard1

Die-hard1 6th Round Pick

It seems that, according to Bob McKenzie, Ehrhoff won't be back with the Canucks. In turn, Gillis is looking into trading his negotiating rights prior to free agency, hoping to get something back for him.

I'm fine with this as I figured Hoff would want top dollar, and he's only been with the team for 2 years so it's not like he has a ton of loyalty there a la Bieksa.

He'll probably get close to $6 million a season, and for probably 5-6 years on the open market. Hoff's a very good dman as long as he doesn't play more than 22 minutes a night, and as long as you don't expect him to play against the other team's top forwards. I don't think he's worth $6 million a season so I'd let another team pay that.

The Nucks will have a good chunk of cap space to spend if he moves on - the question will be, as with many other teams - who is there to spend any money on?

2. Connecticut

Connecticut 1st Round Pick

I think we'll see on Friday, but this could be a negotiating ploy on Gillis' part, or else Ehrhoff may have already packed his bags (for Detroit?) and is just running down the clock until July 1st. He'll definitely be a loss if we can't re-sign him, but at the same time if he wants multiple years (4-6) at $5M+ then he's just not worth it.

3. Sir Rodney

Not Really A Surprise

Hi Guys,

This is something we saw coming and as much as we would have liked the team to have retained all of their top forwards and defense while adding a key component or two, that was never going to happen. I haven't been too wrapped up in the Free Agent Rumor hype as I agree with you that very little would be gained by over paying for some of the talent that's on the UFA list. When you look at the players who haven't received offers so far it suggests that Gillis will only be active at a lower level rather than with the higher profile types that will trigger the initial frenzy. According to 1130 Sports the Canucks haven't made any contact with Rypien, Alberts, Rypien or Glass as far as an extension. Higgins and the Canucks are apparently quite far apart in their negotiations which also doesn't surprise me but as couple of others do a bit. Torres is one. I am hearing about problems in the room. I liked his aggressiveness but maybe there's more happening behind the scenes other than money that will usher him out of Vancouver. He is rapidly running out of places to play if he has blown this opportunity. I had expected Shirokov to get a long look at camp but he was even qualified as an RFA and is now an UFA.

The Cap room creates the possibility of greater trade flexibility. As it stands now, their defense could be notably weaker than it was last year and that was an area we felt would continue to be strengthened. It's all very well to project Ballard as one who would have a better year. But there's no guarantee in that at all. Add his $4.2 million to the Cap space and suddenly the Canucks are positioned to take on a couple of huge contracts to fill their needs. To me, those would come from trades as opposed to free agency. Some teams are going to need Cap relief and they could be the kind of partners Gillis will be approaching.

Our needs haven't really changed. We still need a stud forward on the second line and another top 4 or 5 defenseman. Guys like Higgins and Torres with a little patience and effort are much more replaceable. Lapierre's re-signing gives us four centres which, along with Hodgson, shouldn't need further attention. Of course, that goes out the window if Malhotra doesn't return to form but that's a discussion for much later. Wingers should be an easier commodity to fill.

Gillis surprised us with some of the moves he made last Summer. There's no reason to be less optimistic for this Summer as well. He has shown that he is prepared to make some bold moves. I can't wait for the first of these dominoes to fall.

4. rikster

rikster 2nd Team All-Star

$32 million in cap space...

With Ehrhoff's rights traded to the Islanders, if he is just looking for the maximum dollars he's certainly found himself on a team with tons of room to spend and in need of getting to the floor....

This may turn out to be a blessing in disguise, with him gone I'd think Gillis looks to mean and nasty to replace him rather than skill and finess...

I wonder where Parent is on the depth chart and if Sauve gets a good, long look this year....

Take care...

5. Sir Rodney

Information Flowing Rapidly Now

Hi again,

Things seem to be happening fairly quickly. When I made the other post, I hadn't heard the news about Erhoff going to the Islanders. I understand it's for a fourth round pick. Hopefully that will turn in to something. It makes you wonder if there is any chance of the Islanders signing him long term? I hope so as I wouldn't want him to wind up in Detroit.

I see the earlier news about Shirokov not being qualified was incorrect. He's a little less of a long shot than any of our other forward prospects. I don't particularly want another small forward with Kesler but I wouldn't mind seeing to see how he fits with the twins. He did well in training camp and pre-season last year but that didn't work out once the regular season started. At some point though, we have to find out if we have any real forward prospects in the system or not. This has to be Hodgson's make it or break it camp for one.

6. rikster

Re: Information Flowing Rapidly Now

Hi Sir

Botchford may have nailed it when he said Ehrhoff is nailed to Detroit like Hamhuis was nailed to Vancouver last year...

if so, good on Gillis for recognizing the situation and getting something for his rights...

Take care...

7. Sir Rodney

Steve Montador

Hi Rikster,

Have you picked up on any rumors regarding the Canucks' interest in Steve Montador from the Sabres? I don't see him being a top four but quite possibly in the top six. Young, Vancouver born and relatively inexpensive.

8. rikster

Re: Steve Montador

Hi Sir...

Hadn't heard that, mind you I've been watching the Voice and dreaming I am a rock star!

Hockey, Schmockey...

Take care...

9. Die-hard1

Die-hard1 6th Round Pick

Re: Steve Montador

I've heard those rumours too Sir, and it makes sense to me. With Salo back they've got Bieksa-Hamhuis, Edler-Salo and Ballard-Tanev as pairs, with Rome as the 7th guy. They only really need one more guy to cover injuries, otherwise that's a solid defense.

It seems that most Canuck fans on other message boards are going ballistic about Hoff leaving - I'm a realist and I knew that he was likely gone. His offense won't be easy to replace but it can be done, while his defense will be easily replaced as he was an average defender.

If Gillis and co can sign a guy like Montador or a reasonable facsimile, plus put an extra $3 to $4 million into the forwards then I see the team as upgraded from last year. It remains to be seen what he can do, but given his recent track record I have to say I am hopeful he will get something done.

10. Sir Rodney

Salo

Hi D-H,

With Salo back? Have you a link to any confirmation that he's been signed or are you anticipating that he will be?

I would still like to see one more veteran added to the back end. That third pairing you mentioned has me concerned. So much has been made about Ballard having a better year but is that something we should be relying upon? I would expect that unless there is a miracle cure for what ailed Ballard last year, basically we would be going with four defensemen with one of them, assuming Salo does get signed, 37 years old. That's barely a formula for success in the regular season let alone the playoffs. That also pre-supposes there won't be too many injuries on the back end. When you consider we used 14 defensemen at one point or other, last year, the six or seven you mentioned isn't deep enough to my liking.

I can totally understand letting Erhoff go if his salary demands weren't going to come into line with Bieksa's. Having made that decision, I feel it is incumbent on Gillis to replace him on the roster with someone capable of absorbing those minutes - basically, a top 4 defenseman who would still earn in the mid $4 million range. That can only come through a trade in my opinion. Wisnewski, White and Leino would help but none of the three fit the criteria I have set out - possibly the salary but are they really capable of being top four?

Let's assume that the Canucks don't plan on bringing Alberts back. They need someone who could slot in to the seventh spot on a regular or shaded basis with Rome. We also need someone who is prepared to play rough and drop the gloves if need be. Don't throw too many rotten tomatoes my way but one guy who fit that description and who didn't look totally out of place when we played Nashville is Shane O'Brien. I doubt that the Canucks would remotely consider bringing him back but he fits the criteria if not the personality. Maybe second time around we would get the sane S.O.B.. Maybe not. Another free agent that has fallen off the map was a guy who impressed the hell out of me when Carolina won the Cup in 2006, Mike Commodore. He was waived out of the NHL by Columbus this past year but at 32 and 6'5" 228 lb, I wouldn't mind seeing the Canucks invite him to camp to see what, if anything, he has left. I don't know any of the circumstances as to why he is with Springfield as opposed to the NHL so if anyone knows any of the details, I would be interested in hearing about them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Commodore

11. Die-hard1

Die-hard1 6th Round Pick

Re: Salo

No link, but Gillis was talking about him yesterday in his press conference as if Sami was part of the team. It's a slam dunk that he's back, he's already said he's staying and Gillis wants to sign him. I expect it will be announced either today or tomorrow.

Ballard had a horrible year, no doubt, but keep in mind he had major hip surgery last off-season so couldn't train for almost the whole summer, then got a concussion when he was actually playing well. Everybody seems to remember his one game in the finals, when he was legitimately awful, but he also played very well in the Sharks series when partnered with Tanev. He's played over 500 games in the NHL for a reason - I'm absolutely positive he can handle 5th dman minutes.

On Salo - he's a very good #4 still, he can play 18 to 20 minutes a night when healthy easily - and he's better than just about anybody on the FA market, Ehrhoff aside. He's better than Wisniewski for sure, and anybody else people seem to be talking about. Really I think Gillis just needs a guy who can be injury cover for Salo when he inevitably misses 20-30 games - Rome can help but you want another guy too. Montador would be just fine there, he's a local boy to boot. Commodore would work but he's quite immobile, but there are a few guys out there who can play #6/#7 minutes so I'm not worried about it. Gillis just needs 1 more dman.

I'm more worried about the forwards - who plays with Kesler? I'm fine with Sammy or Raymond there, but not both. Kesler needs another guy to pick up the physical slack so he doesn't get run into the ground again like he did in the playoffs - he took so many hits that you can see why he was nowhere near 100% healthy when the team needed him most. If Gillis allocates $1.5 to $2.0 million for the last dman, he can allocate between $4 million and $5 million to 2 forwards - and that's with Hansen re-signed as well. One of Torres or Higgins would be acceptable, or a big, mean 3rd/4th liner who can play a little is needed.

That 2nd line wing is a must have though - I'm not sure who Gillis has in mind but he's admitted he needs one more top 6 forward this offseason. We'll see what he does about it.

12. Sir Rodney

I hope you are right about Ballard. I didn't mind the trade when we got him and I still don't, even if it doesn't work out. None of the three we gave up to get Ballard and Oreskovich weren't going to play a role last year.

You've probably seen my posts regarding strengthening the second line to the point where they become the biggest threat for opposing defensive pairings. It's safe to assume that Raymond won't be back until November and even then, it could be a long while before he can be even remotely as effective as he was in spurts. Putting Samuelsson there isn't going to draw any extra attention there either. Assuming he is healthy, I would rather play him with the twins and add Burrows to the Kesler line. If they could get another winger who was prepared to go to the net regularly and had the hands to finish, that would be a significant step forward. If Higgins re-ups, which I am not convinced is in the cards, then leave Burrows with the Twins and still add that new winger to the Kesler/Higgins combination. The bottom line is that the player we need on that second line does not currently exist within the organization, neither here or on the farm.

In a perfect world, I would see Gillis making the necessary trades to get the top six winger we would both rate as the top priority and then some more depth on defense (for me, that would include someone who would fit in that 3/4 role - I assume from your comments that you would be content with a 5/6 - and someone with a lot of grit for the 7 slot.) Lastly, a big fourth line winger would be nice - someone who could actually log some minutes while keeping the opposition accountable for some of the liberties we've seen them take in the past. After that, I feel the pieces are already in the organization to provide the necessary depth when injuries, as expected, occur.

13. Die-hard1

Die-hard1 6th Round Pick

Agreed Sir - we're on the same page except you want a bit better defensive coverage than I do.

Priorities:

1) 2nd line winger
    2) Dman (4-6)
    3) 4th line winger

In my scenario I see 2 and 3 as relatively easy holes to fill. Unfortunately, they are less important than the #1 priority. Gillis' offseason will be graded on how he does finding these 3 pieces.

14. Sir Rodney

Alberts Re-Signed

Two years for $2.45 which is reasonable. I wish he played a bit more hard nosed. Sort of like S.O.B. without the fruit cakes thrown in for dessert.

15. Die-hard1

Die-hard1 6th Round Pick

Re: Alberts Re-Signed

I'm fine with this - he's a below average NHL defender overall, but he's good injury cover and he's at a lower price point than just about anybody on the open market would come at.

I don't know about you Sir - but do you find it funny how some fans want anybody as long as they aren't what you have now? The grass is always greener I suppose. Alberts is decent and now the Nucks have 7 solid NHL defenders under contract, Sami will make it 8. That's good depth.

Now on to the forwards............

16. Sir Rodney

Under normal circumstances, I would agree with you. The problem is we had all of these guys last year and didn't get the job done. Losing Erhoff, has made us weaker than we were. Losing Hamhuis in particular was extremely costly but with teams getting stronger in the west as we've already seen, I feel it's incumbent on the Canucks to improve as well, not stand pat or even take a step backward.

In all fairness to Gillis, we are only in phase one of the Summer and I really don't think he's done re-working the back end. I will reserve judgement when we start the season. Basically what you and I are doing is making a progress report as opposed to a final roster assessment and in that regard, I don't disagree with anything you've said. We are definitely on the same wave length.

17. Sir Rodney

Kaberle

I don't know what sort of money Kaberle is looking for but I could see him being a replacement for Erhoff. He didn't seem to fit with the Bruins but he has similar puck moving skills to Erhoff and that's the ingredient we've lost. Neither Kaberle or Erhoff could be considered physical but that wouldn't be his primary role. What do you think?

18. Sir Rodney

Steve Montador To The Blackhawks

Yuck!!!!!

19. Original Beast

Original Beast 2nd Team All-Star

hello folks,

back from vacationing in the sun. =0)

like the thread so far, and not surprised Erhoff isn't coming back. with the cap up, and teams in crazy mode again, i don't re-sign for Bieksa dollars either if i'm Christian Erhoff. (an extra mill is 5-6 mill on a multi year deal). my suspicion is he'll land in either Detroit or Buffalo (we'll see how serious that new owner is about improving that team - it deserves it, after years of not having money, but good players and good coaching).

as for gillis, more and more i'm finding that he might just stay put and leave the D as is below:

Hamhuis-Bieksa
    Edler-Salo
    Rome-Alberts
    Tanev (depending on his development, may move to the top 6)

if any injuries occur, i suspect Rome with move into the top 4, as scary as that sounds. We know Ballard has no place here under AV's tutelage so why bother keeping him or even sillier, writing him in to replace Erhoff? (remember nolan Baumgartner was called in from his Miami holidays for game 7 ahead of a healthy Ballard.)

it's not what i want, but i can't see us overpaying for the few Dmen available. honestly, i was even stunned to see Bieksa's home town discount at 4.6 for 5 long years, AND a NTC. he got the whole shebang, so to speak.
    Really, he's a heart and soul guy, and had a great year, but he's 1/2 the defenceman when Hamhuis isn't partnering him. i suspect any addition to the defence will be another mean, bigger dman at a "money-puck" price.

so i guess i agree with DH's view, that Gillis' biggest focus here is the 2nd line. what killed us in the finals? our inability to score, injuries to our defence, Luongo's collapses and being outcoached. we all know the final 2 things aren't gonna change. louie's stuck here, and AV will be given at least another year to prove he can win here. the defence as stated, is likely the hardest part to improve at this juncture, and most likely we take a hit there.

so the most workable place is that second line. after all, we couldnt' score when the chips were on the table. and i think you'd have to say that was the case for most of the playoffs and NOT just the final series against boston. if we go back to (a now injured) Raymond and a (just off surgery) 36 year old Samuelson, we're really in trouble, and that's not accounting for the improvements amongst our competitors.

i see Ballard, Hodgson (another non-AV player), Schroeder or maybe even Schnieder might be moved. when you see Brooks Leich getting the kind of money he's getting, free agency might not get us any where. funny how the old cap post lockout cap at 48 mill is NOW the cap floor. as it stands almost 20 teams are below that now. we've got a 2-3 year window here with the twins at their peak. The depressed, just-lost-in-the-finals, side of me almost wishes we could've move Luongo to TB or somewhere he'd like, and we'd have the cap space to bring in a big addition to the scoring. but that's me dreaming in Hawaii time again.

anyhow, let's see how Gillis plays this out. he's done a great job to date, and he's got the whole summer.

anyone want to guess how much Brad Richards will make?? i suspect some idiot GM will pay him over $8 million.
    This post was edited on 6/29 10:26 PM by Original Beast

20. Original Beast

Re: Steve Montador To The Blackhawks

that sucks hey SR??

of all teams too, damn Blackhawks. they've been awful quiet since moving Campbell. don't be surprise if they improve their depth significantly in the 3rd and 4th lines again.

i hate these guys, but they might kill us again next year.

21. maineblackbear

maineblackbear 1st Team All-Star

When He Was A Bruin...

When Alberts was a Bruin, he was a hitting machine. Played very very physical hockey. Always looked to put a hurting on the opposition.

I take it that he has changed?

Later

22. maineblackbear

Re: Kaberle

I think after 10 games you would be saying...."Why????"

But then again, the Vancouver system seems much less predicated on checking and physical play. Kabs may fit in better with a team like the Canucks or Red Wings (who are reported to be quite interested in him), who play a passing game.

I would take him back on Boston, if he took a pay cut. But at 4 mil? No way. But he WILL likely get that offer from someone.

FWIW...Joe Haggerty and Kevin Paul DuPont last night said that Boston will have offers on the table for James Wisniewski and Erhoff at noon on the nose tomorrow.

Later

Later

23. maineblackbear

Depends On What Your Talking About

It depends on what your talking about for factors.

If you go strictly by defense....then YES, I agree that Salo is better. BUT, Wisniewski is a very willing physical player. Anyone who watched him play against Boston wouod have seen many big hits delivered, as well as him showing a willingness to TAKE a hit to make something happen.

He does cough the puck up at times and he does take himself out of position while going for that knock out hit...but he works hard in his own end.

If you add OFFENSE to the equation, this is where the 2 are separated. Salo isnt a threat to break 25 points anymore. Solid, smart passer of the puck. Wisniewski on the other hand, is a legit threat to break 45-50 points per season for the next 5 to 7 years. He is now in the early/mid stages of his prime. He has upside.

Then if you add age to the issue...Salo is 9 years older, and clearly on the downside of his career.

Sorry, but I have to say that James Wisniewski is the better player. Maybe not the better FIT for Vancouver. But but the better player nonetheless.

Later

24. Die-hard1

Die-hard1 6th Round Pick

Re: Steve Montador To The Blackhawks

In a weird way I love playing the Hawks - they are such great games to watch, good, fast, hitting hockey.

For whatever reason the first round series with the Hawks last year is the one that sticks out in my mind. The rest of them were fun, but the hockey was nowhere near as good.

25. Die-hard1

Die-hard1 6th Round Pick

IMHO, Hoff in Boston would be very similar to Kaberle - their games just aren't suited for Boston's system of defense first, play tough one on one hockey.

Ehrhoff needs a puck possession team that skates the puck up quickly off the breakout passes. He's tailor made for Detroit's system, and barring some ridiculous offer elsewhere, that's where I assume he's going.

On Kaberle - some idiot GM will pay him $5+ million a season - there's just not enough dmen out there to go around.

26. Die-hard1

Die-hard1 6th Round Pick

Re: Depends On What Your Talking About

I would agree as well - though Wisniewski's knee is swiss cheese so he's just as much an injury risk going forward as Salo, IMHO.

The big thing with Salo is he will likely be very inexpensive for the Canucks to re-sign, he's already said he expects to take a paycut and definitely wants to stay in Van.

So, Salo for 1 year, $2 million or Wis for 5 years, $25 million? No brainer to me.

27. rikster

Re: Depends On What Your Talking About

Wisniewski has had one so so season, nothing in his careeer would suggest offering him term and dollars and nothing would suggest the points you are predicting...

Salo has been consistant throughout his career, unfortunately he has been consistantly injured, but at least you know exactly what your getting...

Neither should be given term or money, Salo because he is on the twighlight of his career and Wisniewski because he hasn't shown he can be a player worthy of term and dollars...

Take care...

28. rikster

To echo your thoughts, why?

Boston has been doing it right, drafting and developing so why go out to the ufa market, which almost never works out, and get into a bidding war with cap floor challenged teams and elite teams like the Wings and over pay?...

When I look at the Bruins lineup, I still shake my head that they are the Cup winners, but that is most likely why they are the Cup winners, they are a team in the true sense, so why mess with chemistry by giving an Ehrhoff the kind of contract it would take to sign him?

If I was the Bruins, and listening to how you rate the prospects I'd stay out of the bidding for the top end ufa's and make your moves with the depth guys ...

Take care...

29. rikster

Guys, it's Montador...

This is reminding me of the first time I went to an auto auction...I was invited to a golf tournament which followed the auction and the fellow who invited me explained that he had a few cars he wanted to sell and that he wasn't there to buy anything....

Ok, so I'm sitting in the back taking it in when the first car comes up for sale...

It's a green coloured Ford Contour with a hit over $2,000 and guess who buys this ugly car?....My friend...

And when he bought the next one, I took him by the arm and led him away and asked him what he was doing?

He thanked me and said he got caught up in the hype and couldn't control himself...

As I said, its Montador!

Take care...

30. Original Beast

Re: Guys, it's Montador...

he he....tha'ts a good story Rikster.

yes, it's only Montador. i think SR and I are just having fun there. but i think we can all agree it's always worth a shot at bringing back B.C. boys. i guess it seems Chicago likes them!

i agree with DH, i too, love our games against the Hawks - they're really the most entertaining. (and stressful, which i guess is why it's great). mark my words, those Hawks will be stronger next year, perhaps waay stronger should they add strong piece. alot of their stars have played too much hockey up till this past year's playoffs.

31. rikster

Hey Beast

Welcome back, I wonder what the going rate for a guy like Cam Barker would be?

For the power play, what about Sourey if you can get him on the cheap?

I'd rather go that route than gamble on a long, expensive contract to some of the ufa's everybody is talking about...

Take care...

32. Original Beast

thanks Rikster,

yeah, i've been thinking about those 2 guys too. the buyouts that they got, should reduce their $$ asking price right?

i'm not sure what went wrong with Souray - he's a big physical guy, has a HUGE shot (likely the hardest besides Chara), and is dynamite on the powerplay , at least when i think back to his mtl days. if we can snag him at $2mill or even $3mill is that not worth it on a short term trial??

as for Barker, he's a strange cat. he didnt' look good in Minny, bit better in Chicago. not sure what his asking price is either. personally i'd choose Souray. i hear he's not a bad teammate at all. need some Hab fans to fill us in on that. shame this board has such a small mix now.

33. maineblackbear

Bruins System

I hear you when you say that you shake your head at the Bruins roster that won the Cup.

But there is a legit reason why people underestimate this team.

The typical fan who looks at the Bruins roster, looks at the goal and point totals of the players and says, "Wow. This team has no offense at all." But if you dig below the surface and consider more than just points, you see a system that is absolutely 100% defense oriented. They dont trap, but they focus on cleaning up their own end first.

That said, you may not agree with what I will say next...

David Krejic is an 85-90 point player on a team like Vancouver or Anaheim. Patrice Bergeron is a 75-85 point player on many other teams. The Bruins have very skilled and talented players. Their skill level gets overshadowed by their grit, tenacity, never-say-die attitude and heart.

They have a lot of promising kids. But, when you have a chance to obtain a proven player, depending on the cost...I think you take the chance. As Chiarelli said, this is the first time the Bruins have cash to spend. They have 14.9 mil to spend.

Now, some on the Boston media are dying for them to drop an 8 year 90 mil offer sheet on Stamkos...but that isnt happening.

This is my "guess" as to what happens...as from what I gather, these are the 2 guys that they most wish to obtain.

1. Sign James Wisniewski
    2. Sign Erik Cole (with Gagne as their 2nd choice)

Krejci- Lucic- Horton
    Bergeron- Marchand- Cole/Gagne
    Kelly- Seguin- Peverley
    Campbell- Thornton- Paille/Caron

Chara- Seidenberg
    Boychuk- Wisniewski
    Ference- McQuaid

Now, of course thats wishful thinking. But from what I have heard, this is how the ideal FA period would work out for Boston.

Later

34. Die-hard1

Die-hard1 6th Round Pick

Re: Bruins System

Jeff,

I agree with most of what you've said - but the Bruins do trap, and they do it a lot. There's a negative connotation that goes along with the word 'trap' and I'm not sure why as almost all teams do it, especially when they have the lead - but the Bruins most certainly trap.

Krejci is not a 90 point player on Vancouver or Anaheim - he might be a 75-80 point guy but he's not a top 5 offensive player in the league, which is what a 90 point guy is. Krejci is a very good player, don't get me wrong, but he's not an elite offensive talent, he's a step below those guys. He may become that in time like the twins did, as he's still young and improving, but he's not there yet.

The Bruins have a chance to be good for a while - I would say a long time but that never seems to happen in a cap world. They do have some nice young talent coming up though and should be a solid team again this year.

I have no idea what's going to happen tomorrow, just because there are so few players out there. Some of the contracts will be insane, but there will be more disappointed teams than happy ones.

35. rikster

Re: Bruins System

Don't disagree with the thoughts on Krejic or Bergeron, although Vancouver might be a bad example because they wouldn't replace either Sedin or Kesler as the first or second line centremen...

Boston is like alot of the have teams, 16 - 18 players signed with $12 - 14 million in cap room and some cheap contracts to renew next year...

As I said in another post, not sure why you are putting Wisniewski in the proven category, for me he is more likely to be the classic example of a free agent cashing in and then not being able to justify his contract on the ice....

I had mentioned to our Nuck friends that one of the waiver wires might be a more sensible way to go...If the Bruins could get Souray or Barker on a cheap 1 year contract wouldn't that make sense, especially given the style of play the Bruins employ?

Take care...

36. maineblackbear

That May Be The Plan Rikster

Chiarelli spoke yesterday evening and said that the Bruins will NOT be among the early buyers in FA. He said the supply is too low, with a higher demand than normal, and he will let other teams overpay.

He said what he IS looking to do is fill the Recchi hole, as well as the potential Kaberle and Ryder holes from OUTSIDE the organization. He further stated that his pool of prospects is VERY good, but the Bruins also have the luxury of letting the kids take an extra year of Jr. or AHL hockey.

That said, he also stated that what he is looking for are those veterans, who still can play at a pretty high level, but whom realize that the remainder of their careers can be viewed in terms of 1, 2 or 3 years left. Guys who have made their mark, but REALLY want that final chase or 2 for the Cup. Guys who will look at the defending Stanley Cup champ, and see that they are built for short and long term runs of legit contention.

As for the existing contract situation.... Chia said is first priority this summer is locking Brad Marchand up. And he said that the rest of the core of the team (with 2 exceptions)is lokcked up for the next 3 seasons.

Those 2 exceptions are David Krejci and Tuuka Rask. Krejci can legitimately lay claim to a deal of about 6 mil per. He is a guy who shows up in every postseason. 2 years ago, when the Bruins lost that 3-0 lead against Philly...things crumbled when Richards broke Krejcis wrist. Up until that point the Bruins had dominated the series. He is one of the NHLs greatrest clutch performers at this time...those guys get paid. He isnt a put up great reg season numbers, then fall apart when it matters most...he gets it done when the pressure is on.

Rask is the future, and the real deal....so he will get likely a 3 or 4 deal in the 16-18 mil range.

Later