Canucks - On or Gone

Discussion in 'Hockey Talk' started by Sir Rodney, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Sir Rodney

Here is a list of the upcoming UFAs and RFAs for the Canucks. Gillis has some big decisions to make. Why don't we trying and anticipate some of his moves? Far better than rehashing what might have been.

Defense:

Bieksa = On next year's roster - the number one priority to get re-signed.

Erhoff = Gone - will be expecting a significant raise over his $3.1 m - won't get it in Vancouver.

Salo = Gone - he plans on playing one more year but I don't see him getting enough from the Canucks for him to stay.

Alberts = On - My favorite whipping boy from last Spring is less of a pylon and since we are bulking up, his size keeps him on the roster.

Likely to crack the roster:

Tanev = On full time next season - showed he is definitely NHL ready.

Connauton = Unless he is a training camp bust he should be the next defensive prospect to get a lot of NHL time.

Forwards:

Lapierre = On - He came in with the reputation of being a head case. With the adjustments being made to be more aggressive, that ain't necessarily a bad thing.

Higgins = Gone - I would have liked to see him stay but I keep hearing about his wanting to return back east.

Hansen = On - I don't expect any offer sheets before July 1st but I do expect his to get a bit of a raise and stay. Loved the new angry Dane especially on the penalty kill.

Torres = On = Hit someone Raffi - Keep working on those hands as well.

Glass = Gone - As the series went on he spent an increasing amount of time on the bench. We need fourth liners that can contribute on a regular basis.

Tambellini = Gone - Loved the ethic but just too small to make an impact.

Oreskovich = On - Big, can be mean and can skate. A good combination for a big man. I expect him to play a bigger role next year.

Likely to crack the roster:
    Hodgson = If next year isn't his time, trade him.

Shirokov = Reports that he has learned some defensive responsibilities to go along with his offensive skills. Why not try him in place of the injured Raymond on the second line?

2. Connecticut

Connecticut 1st Round Pick

I think it may be too soon for me, but I'm having a hard time staying away. The baby coming next month will help with that I'm sure.

So I largely agree with your assessment. One big wildcard you didn't mention (since it didn't meet your FA criteria) is Keith Ballard. I honestly don't know what is in his future -- I could see him traded for draft picks (and cap space) or a package that brings back salary, or MG might pull a Bieksa and see if he can't turn things around. The reason that's such an important question is that he's got 3 years left at $4.2M and if you ditch that contract you have a shot at keeping Ehrhoff or bringing in a decent second line winger for Kesler.

Back to me agreeing with you... My sense is that Bieksa wants to stay in Vancouver and will forego the open market and sign a ~4 year deal at Dan Hamhuis numbers, around $4.5 million, which is a good value, I think for both sides.

Ehrhoff is a bigger question mark -- if he's willing to sign for $5M in order to stay I think Gillis pulls the trigger, but my gut says he wants to see what the market will offer and they will offer a lot -- if things get silly I could see as high as 6M, which the signer will regret in 3 or 4 years, but he certainly brings a lot to the table (when he's not injured). Still, he's not a guy that can carry a team by himself, though he fits in well as part of a strong ensemble cast even without a clear #1 like in Vancouver. I wouldn't underestimate the draw of playing in Vancouver for the kind of organization Gillis is building -- the organization treats its players very well and they play to win. Biggest downside is if you hate playing in a fishbowl. At the same time, I wouldn't underestimate the smell of $6 million either. I'd guess a 40% chance of returning, 50% if Ballard is dealt.

I'm with you on Salo too. If he loves Vancouver and will play for $2M or less, then maybe, but my guess is he signs with New Jersey or some team with a light travel schedule. He's over 35 so he's unlikely to get more than a 1-year contract, but even then you're risking cap space on a guy who's injured a whole hell of a lot.

Tanev is definitely ready to play in the NHL. The only thing that could work against him is that he's not subject to waivers. That means that we can stash him in the AHL, get him a ton of ice time, and then have an excellent 3rd pairing guy ready to step in that we don't have counting against the cap. Still, I think he's too good to be kept out of the NHL, so that's an unlikely scenario.

I also think Alberts will stay.

My first disagreement is Connauton. He's not ready. We saw Tanev, Sauve, and even Oberg called up over him. He's got offensive skills but his defense needs a lot of work. Maybe late in the season. The Moose had a guy, Mark Flood, that raised a lot of eyebrows last year, although Heisinger is likely to pluck him for the Jets. I think Sauve gets the call before KCon though; he's a worthwhile project, but it's not his time yet.

Onto forwards: I think Lapierre is a gimme. He's RFA so he'll get a small raise and be a great addition. This team has needed a competent 4th line center for a while and he's the guy, plus he's versatile enough to step up as he proved in the playoffs.

I agree that Higgins is gone -- I've really liked him, but it's either him or Torres and I think it will come down to numbers. Torres clearly loves this organization and will stay unless someone throws stupid money at him.

Tambellini is a question mark for me -- you're probably right though. He's not far away from being a very good 13th forward though. Defensively responsible enough to play on the 4th line and skilled enough to slot in on the first. Nail in his coffin may be Cody Hodgson, just not enough spots left. Still, you love a guy that wants so badly to play for this team.

I hope Glass is gone -- I love the guy, but he's just not quite good enough. Maybe I'm wrong -- the surgery he had midseason slowed him down and maybe he's a different player when he's fully recovered, but like Tambo, there's only so many roster spots.

Oreskovich is here to stay. AV playing him with the Sedins spoke volumes to me -- mostly about how badly we missed Raymond and Samuelsson -- but also the kind of player he can be. I don't know if he'll ever score more than 15 goals off the 3rd line, but he's big and fast and his hands aren't terrible, that's a nice guy to have in the line up.

On Hodgson I'm not sure where he slots in -- center ice is pretty crowded, but he'd be interesting on the wing. I'd also love to see what kind of game Shirokov brings to training camp.

The good news about losing in the cup finals is next year isn't all that far away.

3. Sir Rodney

Eklund On Erhoff

*of the Two major UFA's dmen for the Canucks, my money would be on Kevin Bieksa staying and Christian Ehrhoff moving on...however there are many teams out there unsure about Ehrhoff and it is still possible he signs a short term lesser deal in Vancouver...

I found this bit quite unique in terms of what Erhoff would command on the open market. To date we've assumed he would be looking for a substantial raise and that would price him out of Vancouver. When you start using numbers higher than Bieksa, then my reaction is buh bye. There is no way I could justify spending even as much on him as I would Bieksa. I understand that Erhoff gets cut some slack due to his shoulder injury in the playoffs but year long he wasn't as good as Bieksa nor as critical to them moving forward. Bieksa with Hamhuis as the number one shut down pairing is a given in my books. With Salo close to retirement and Ballard failing to deliver for whatever reason, that would rank Erhoff as the number 3 defender and that is scary. That's a step backward which we can't afford to do. Here's hoping the first major trade announced sees the Canucks bolstering that back end. Gillis wasn't afraid to dip in to his prospect pool to complete the Ballard trade and I expect he wouldn't hesitate to do so again. I didn't have a problem with that trade when you consider where Grabner was on our depth chart. Can the same argument be applied to guys like Schroeder or even Hodgson if the right deal came along?

You are probably right about Connauton. Mind you, we didn't see Tanev coming at this time last year either. Someone besides Tanev will be getting a major opportunity.

4. rikster

rikster 2nd Team All-Star

Marc Crawford made an interesting observation that in a long playoff series, teams need their youth to step up and make a significant contribution which the Bruins kids did...

A couple of areas I'd like to see Gillis address this off season;

Find a legitimate enforcer or deterent, and not in the middle weight class...Given how little the 4th lines are played and how the team was manhandled by both San Jose and Boston coupled with the way the league did a 180 on the standard of officiating, this has to be a top priority...

Luongo...while the pro Luongo talk is that he won 15 games in the post season, I think the question is how many would Schneider have won and would Schneider have been lit up 6 times in these playoffs? As I've said before, injuries was the teams ultimate demise and how many could have been avoided if the team didn't have to play as many games as it did due to poor goaltending?...

I agree Bieksa is a top priorty, and would be surprised and very disappointed if he moves on...

Not sure about Ehrhoff if the numbers being thrown out are accurate...

From the farm, I would expect Ryan Parent to make the team on a full time basis and Sauve get a good, long look because of the physical presence he brings...

I think Cannauton's fate is tied to what Ehrhoff does...

I'd like to see Salo stay another year, if he is willing to fit into the Nucks budget...

Lapierre, I'm not so sure...The team needs to lose the diving and cheater image, and while Lapierre kept his antics in check for the first 3 rounds, the old Lapierre came out in the finals which was disappointing and embarrassing...I kinda think its time to give his position to Hodgson and make Maholtra a rover in and out of the third and fourth lines...

Hansen and Torres should be re signed...

Disappointed to hear that Higgins wants to return to the East...

I've always liked Oreskovich, so agree he keeps a job on the parent team...

Shirokov should be given a good look this season...I understand that he has done a good job learning how to play at both ends, and his skills are NHL calibre..

Take care...

5. maineblackbear

maineblackbear 1st Team All-Star

Enforcer

If you get an enforcer, make sure its someone who can be trusted to skate a decent shift. I LOVE Thornton because he is not just an enforcer. He is one of the key leaders on the Bruins team, and he can be trusted with 8 to 10 minutes per night, because he plays the system perfectly, and he can put in the odd goal (10 this season). Good skater as well.

Later

6. Sir Rodney

Re: Enforcer

You are right if you tie up a roster spot with a knuckle dragger who you can't put out for any other kind of shift. I think Edmonton ran into this with Zach Stortini. That's probably why they want to move him.

I don't know if I would use the term enforcer as that suggests a permanent return to the old Oiler type of hockey. Somehow I can't see that happening. The Thorntons of this world who can be both are as scarce as the big Joe Thorntons at centre. You basically have to grow them from seed.

7. Connecticut

Re: Enforcer

I think if we decide we need an enforcer it will probably be Rypien. He's not exactly an allstar, but he's got enough speed to play a regular shift and he's not a heavyweight, but he can take down most guys around the league outside the real behemoths.

8. Original Beast

Original Beast 2nd Team All-Star

spot on there SR...

only you forgot Rome? or is he not a UFA?
    i'm worried about AV's love affair with Glass - i hope you are right, he needs to go, or have purely an emergency role.

i think the keys are to find ways of developing Hodgson, and NOT losing Schneider. And of course to find some physicality/scoring to help Kelser along. i'm truly concerned of how strong Raymond will be after his back injury. i was discussing this with my doctor/radiologist friend yesterday, and he noted, that Raymond will not be the same in his legs after this incident and is fortunate he's not paralyzed. (after my own injury to my neck which needed multiple surgeries, i've not played sports in over 4 years now and lost my career completely). anyhow, given speed is Mason's primary weapon, it's disconcerting to say the least.

it's too bad about Salo - what a great guy, and of all the guys i wanted to win the cup for in Vancouver, it was him. but i agree i doubt he'll be back, he's aged, slowed down in a faster and faster game. Tanev is a wonderful surprise that will help with that transition.

so looking at D:
    Hamhuis, Bieksa
    Edler (???)
    Tanev, Alberts/Rome

that ??? on D is probably my biggest concern of all. (since Erhoff will likely head to Detroit and i think he'll fit in beautifully there)

9. Sir Rodney

Rome

Hi Beast,

Rome wasn't included on the list as he has one more year at $750 000. You need guys like that who give you some quality minutes for a very reasonable price. He's in the same category as Alberts in the 6/7 slot. Neither would be seen as a viable replacement for Erhoff or Salo for that matter.

Speaking of the Hoff, I see his comments in today's Province as an indication he would like to stay. I wonder if we have another home town discount in play there?

I am starting to calm down in terms of the number of changes that need to be made on the back end. Before injuries took their toll, the Canucks had one of the best defensive records in the NHL. I don't expect any home runs in terms of the changes that will be made back there but I also don't expect the package to be weaker than what we have now.

Your point is well taken in terms of Raymond and by default, the entire second line. Assuming Torres and Hansen are extended, the Malhotra, Torres and Hansen combination is the only line that seems to be okay as is. I have been swayed in terms of the need to add a top six forward. The question now is whether we would be further ahead to add more talent to the Kesler line and drop the Sedin line to the second position. I think this has some real merit. The Sedins will never be able to play a North American style no matter who is on their wing. The only way you can pull the top defensive pairing off them is to make the Kesler line even more of a threat. In that scenario, could either Hodgson or Shirokov be an option with the twins? Certainly not if they were the first line but as part of the second trio?

Bolstering the defense remains the top priority but if the Kesler line is to move up a notch, a power forward has to be added to the mix. I'm okay with Burrows playing in that group but I don't think we have any other forward in the system that would make them the threat we would need them to be. It would be easier to add a quality winger than it would be to find that elusive big first line centre we've lusted over for years.

What do you think of this idea?

10. Sir Rodney

11. rikster

Re: Matt Sekeres On The Canucks' D

Sounds like they intend to keep Luongo and Schneider next season as well...

If so, the way I think that plays out is Schneider gets even more games next season and when the playoffs begin if Luongo has an off night, Schneider gets the next game and runs with it until he has an off night...

No more guarantees for Roberto, he has to earn every start just like Keith Ballard does.... :)

Take care...

12. Sir Rodney

Eklund Rumors - Brooks Laich & Eric Brewer

Now that we have officially entered silly season, we might as well look at some of the "pearls of wisdom" that Eklund throws out there which purport to involve the Canucks. To be honest, I have never heard of this guy since I don't spend much time watching Washington play. Judging by this article though, he looks like he would be an excellent fit. Besides, this got an e3 -oooooooooh!!!

Ek also suggests we are interested in Eric Brewer from Tampa. Good Vernon boy who ain't gonna be cheap if Tampa can't sign him. Another excellent fit so if there's any truth to the rumors at all, at least they are logical if nothing else. At least it gets us away from the Weber stuff.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nhl/article_external/does_brooks_like_washington_enough_to_stay/5025214

13. Connecticut

That's certainly good news if it turns out to be true, but Sekeres is a dolt.

I believe Bieksa would take less, and Sami probably too unless he's lured away by the prospect of a team with less travel. Ehrhoff I'm not so sure about -- Gillis has to keep in mind that he's got Edler's contract coming up and if he overpays for Ehrhoff he's going to throw his pay scale out of whack. I love Ehrhoff, but we can afford to lose him in a way we can't afford to lose Edler.

14. rikster

Holy Smokes...

2 weeks till July 1st, it came so quickly this year..

Wasn't Laich the one who stopped to help a distressed motorist last year?...

Take care...

15. Sir Rodney

One thing we have going for us is an owner who isn't afraid of paying to the cap max. I had heard that Gillis would like to keep Schneider for the next five years. In order to do that, he would have to pay a lot more than the $900 000 Schneider is getting now as well as giving him several more games than the 20 to 25 he had this year. If he's going that route, it sounds like the sharing would be closer to a 50/30 split which would be difficult for Luongo to swallow. If it leads to a Cup run with two fresh goalies, that would be a significant improvement over what we had now. Lou seems to be losing a lot more control over his playing time. That won't effect his income but it could well increase his desire for a trade out of Vancouver. Maybe that's part of the agenda.

I couldn't answer your other question about Laich. I would be interested in the details though.

16. rikster

Tanguay...

Curious to hear what evrybody thinks about the Nucks targeting him...

I think he could be a good fit on either the first or second line, especially if Higgins moves on as some have suggested he will...

Take care...

17. Sir Rodney

Re: Tanguay...

Hi Rikster,

I think he would be an upgrade on Raymond in terms of finish but he wouldn't add the size we need to change the dynamics on the top two lines. Speaking of Higgins, I thought his comments in the season wrap up made his return a strong possibility. The other comment I felt was quite significant was when Gillis said that both Higgins and Lapierre had been brought in to play on the fourth line. To this point, the fourth line has been basically a throw away but with those two playing the way they did in the playoffs, that line takes on an entirely different perspective. How they would be able to fit all of them in and still upgrade the top lines somehow is a task I will leave to Gillman. They said all the right things about Ballard but that salary would fund a lot of upgrades.

18. rikster

Re: Tanguay...

I was worried about the physical element, but thought that could be addressed further down the lines...

I almost feel bad for saying it now, but before game 6 I had a discussion with some relatives and voiced my opinion that Raymond needed to go...

Interesting about Higgins and Lapierre for the 4th line, I hadn't hear that....

Take care..

19. Sir Rodney

20. m_peroni

m_peroni Hall of Fame

I know this is a bit taboo, and i'd love to sign him myself, but didn't Bieksa look kinda.....bad on Boston's key goals? Also, didn't you guys pick him as the main guy to trade last year in case of cap issues?

I think it's a win-win if you keep either one of the two.

21. rikster

We learn that he was playing with an mcl sprain from a slash to the back of the leg, most likely the Peverly slash that Jeff thought was an acting job, so like so many of the Canucks you have to temper your opinion due to injuries...

take care...

22. Sir Rodney

You're right about the trade Bieksa rumors that were extremely predominant last Fall. A lot of that had to do with a complete lack of understanding as to how Gilman was going to keep the Canucks Cap Compliant. I think Eklund had at least one a week. The postings I have where I quote Eklund are as much tongue in cheek as anything. The two he did mention recently have merit in terms of being the kind of player that would definitely help the Canucks but they are likely the figment of Ek's imagination. After the furor created by Wilson's comments about the Leaf's interest in the Sedins, it's highly unlikely that there has been any official interest expressed by the Canucks. That may be extremely naive on my part, particularly when you see how quickly a lot of these deals fall into place as soon as July 1st arrives.

Assuming the Canucks will be in the market for a power forward, who do you see in the eastern conference that would be worth pursuing? The more I think of it, the idea of bolstering the Kesler line as opposed to finding a bigger forward for the Sedins seems to be the easier solution to their problems.

23. rikster

Re: Gillis and Vigneault Post Season Summary

Thanks Sir Rodney...

24. Die-hard1

Die-hard1 6th Round Pick

I see the Nucks as much the same team next year, with a few moving parts.

I think Higgins moves on, I think Torres moves on as well.

I see the Nucks deciding between Bieksa (who will almost surely stay), Ehrhoff and Ballard. If Ehrhoff stays, Ballard goes, and vice versa.

There will be a new #7 dman signed if Alberts moves on, somebody very similar to Andrew who can play 10-12 minutes a game in case of injury.

Chris Tanev will get lots of minutes next year.

Luongo will be the man next year, and Schneider will stay unless Gillis gets offered a very good, young forward in return.

I see Gillis going after one big-bodied forward to play beside Kesler, my personal choices would be Scott Hartnell or Brenden Morrow, though I'm not sure if either is available. Hartnell maybe because Philly will have to cut payroll to sign Bryzgalov, and Morrow because Dallas is losing upwards of $25 million a season.

Other than that, it will be much the same team back and that's not a bad thing - people already seem to forget this way easily the best team in hockey over the regular season and right up until the final series. They were beaten up physically by the Bruins and that's the biggest reason they lost, but I fully expect them to be making another deep run next spring.

25. m_peroni

m_peroni Hall of Fame

It was a bruise, not a sprain. A sprain MCL would be close to a tear and i doubt you'd be able to skate as well as he did with that.

But again, it's no excuse with the bad plays he made. I'm talking about bad decisions. Not like in terms of him not being able to catch a Bruin on a rush.

26. m_peroni

m_peroni Hall of Fame

I remember we had discussions ourselves, though, not from Eklund's reports or anything. We were talking about cap issues with the Nucks and we were mulling over the idea of trading Bieksa at the time before Salo's return, or after his return.

As for a power forward from the east. Do you mean via trade or via free agency?

With free agency, i'd think Erik Cole could be a good addition, but i doubt he'd want to move so far away and he is a risky choice because he either gives you 80 games or barely half a season due to injuries. Laich is kinda power forwardish, but i am not sold on him. The guy played with Ovechkin, Semin, and Backstrom. I think 18 goals is mostly a result of that. But, he does do the dirty work on the forecheck, is a good skater, and is strong. So, he may fit fine there.

Not much else after that really. I'd love to see Leino in a Canucks jersey though. I know he is not a power forward, but he is smart on the ice and has good vision as well. Man, he'd be a 55 point guy on that team. I'd rather see him go to the Rangers though, of course!

27. m_peroni

m_peroni Hall of Fame

I think Higgins will move on as well mostly due to the fact that he's rebounded well this season overall. I think he did well with the Panthers too, so the guy may be slowly coming back to 20 goal form. But, he'd want to cash in as well.

Why move Torres? The guy is a recking ball! Keep him on that team. He has guts and badly wants to win. Keep that hungry heart in there.

Ballard was poorly used by AV, no doubt. I know the guy is overrated and Martin gave him a lovely contract too, but he can make a lot of good plays. Still, not an easy player to trade now. His trade value is low and his salary is expensive. Maybe...maybe Columbus or Toronto could get him.

I don't see the point in keeping Schneider. Let the guy play for crying out loud. He can't bring too much to the Nucks in a trade because he doesn't have enough NHL games yet.

Hartnell is not getting traded. The guy also as a NTC and he is part of the Flyers identity. Flyers will shed Carle and Versteeg. Or, Coburn may be dangled as well. That would clear enough space.

Morrow is the face of the Stars, no chance.

28. Sir Rodney

Thanks For The Feedback

I appreciate the insight on Laich and Leino in particular. Leino's name came up in Spector's rumor site but whether that has legs or not, who knows? I do like the fit with Kesler though. The other name mentioned was Pitkanen as a possible replacement for Erhoff if they don't re-sign him. I got the distinct impression that the Bieksa contract will be announced before the Draft.

http://spectorshockey.net/wordpress/?p=5906

29. m_peroni

m_peroni Hall of Fame

Re: Thanks For The Feedback

Before i wasn't totally sold on Leino. He seemed to me like a floater getting lucky points on a deep Flyers team. But when making the effort to watch him more closely then you notice the little plays he does and i started to appreciate. Like, there was this great play he made to keep the puck in the offensive zone right on the blue line. He anticipated a clearance there, he got the puck in mid air, think, and then made a quick pass to an open area that created a scoring chance.

The guy thinks on the ice, and i like thinkers. He'd be an excellent addition for the Nucks.

As for Pitkanen, he is going to demand a lot of money. May as well keep Ehrhoff then. Pitkanen is capable of playing 25+ minutes a game, so...i don't know. You really need him to be either your #1 or #2 guy and pay him big for it. I don't think Vancouver needs that.

I think Alberts can go as well. Honestly i just think there could be a better veteran that can step in when needed and barely take a penalty, make safe plays, and just be an honest worker doing a near flawless job in his own zone. I also think a shot blocking machine could be useful as well for the Nucks. Honestly, i did not see many shots blocked on Vancouver's part. Not even on Boston's, but it seemed like they did more than the Nucks in blocking shots.

Why not add a Karlis Skrastins then? Experiences, solid, excellent work ethic, and blocks shots.

30. Sir Rodney

Pitkanen and Leino

Thanks again Mick.

Whether the Canucks feel they need to add a possible 1/2 defenseman depends as much on Hamhuis as it does on Erhoff. Hamhuis will undergo surgery early this week as he suffered extensive abdominal damage when he hip checked Lucic. The hit looked pretty routine at the time with Lucic going ass over tea kettle but I guess his being a big man, he must have torn Hamhuis up when he landed on him. They won't know how quickly Hamhuis will be able to get back in the line up and the possibility exists that they could start the season without him.

If Pitkanen is that good and you have the opportunity to upgrade your defense, I could see Erhoff pricing himself out of Vancouver. Erhoff is an enigma. He has a lot of offensive upside and I'm sure he would be welcomed back. He has been prone to defensive mistakes though so they might not try as hard as they definitely will with Bieksa.

You can't fix all of the problems and by what you've said about Leino, he sounds like a perfect fit for that second line. If it meant staying with Erhoff and going for the second line upgrade, I'm fine with that.

Have a great week.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/hockey/canucks-hockey/season+surgery+Hamhuis/4970699/story.html

31. m_peroni

m_peroni Hall of Fame

Re: Pitkanen and Leino

It's not easy to score 50 points and be consistently solid defensively. Only a very few can do that. I just don't think the Nucks need Pitkanen though.

By the way, apparently the cap will jump up to an astonishing $64M. That could be a big help for you guys.

32. Die-hard1

Die-hard1 6th Round Pick

I was about to post the same thing - by my crude calculations and factoring in raises, the Canucks can afford a $4 million second line winger to play with Kesler even after re-signing Bieksa, Hansen, Lapierre, Salo, one of Torres/Higgins and keeping one of Hoff/Ballard.

We all know they will spend to the cap so that's not an issue. I'd still like to see Brenden Morrow brought in, if possible given the Stars are bankrupt and have no owner, because he'd be a perfect fit. The only thing the Canucks were missing last year was a gritty guy to lead and take charge when the games got really dirty. Morrow would be a perfect fit - again I know he's probably not available, but bankruptcy can change that really quickly.

33. m_peroni

m_peroni Hall of Fame

A new ownership will take Dallas later this summer, so i don't think it will be a problem.

Even if he were available, you know you'd have to give up a hefty amount to get him.

34. Die-hard1

Die-hard1 6th Round Pick

I know about the potential new owner (Gaglardi), he's a well off guy but not well off enough to continue to lose $25 million a season like they've been losing.

They'll have to spend some money to get up to the bottom of the cap ($48 million next year) but that team is going to be losing major money next year for sure. We'll see if new ownership is up for that - but as I said Morrow is just a guy I'd like to see, there are a number of others that would work as well.

The Nucks have a few young players they could give up to a rebuilding team like Dallas, or whoever else they trade with to bring in some new blood. I just don't see Gillis standing pay completely - he's going to make a couple of changes to bring in new people while keeping the core the same.