Chia Says Bruins Will NOT Be Players On Day 1 Of FA

Discussion in 'Hockey Talk' started by maineblackbear, Jul 1, 2011.

1. maineblackbear

maineblackbear
    Expand Collapse
    1st Team All-Star

Chiarelli spoke yesterday evening and said that the Bruins will NOT be among the early buyers in FA. He said the supply is too low, with a higher demand than normal, and he will let other teams overpay.

He said what he IS looking to do is fill the Recchi hole, as well as the potential Kaberle and Ryder holes from OUTSIDE the organization. He further stated that his pool of prospects is VERY good, but the Bruins also have the luxury of letting the kids take an extra year of Jr. or AHL hockey. When you dont have to rush your kids, you should take your time and let them grow physically and emotionally.

That said, he also stated that what he is looking for are those veterans, who still can play at a pretty high level, but whom realize that the remainder of their careers can be viewed in terms of 1, 2 or 3 years left. Guys who have made their mark, but REALLY want that final chase or 2 for the Cup. Guys who will look at the defending Stanley Cup champ Boston Bruins, and see that they are built for short and long term runs of legit contention. The core is locked up for the next 3 plus seasons and is still YOUNG!

As for the existing contract situation.... Chia said his first priority this summer is locking Brad Marchand up. And he said that the rest of the core of the team (with 2 exceptions)is lokcked up for the next 3 seasons.

Those 2 exceptions are David Krejci and Tuuka Rask. Krejci can legitimately lay claim to a deal of about 6 mil per. He is a guy who shows up in every postseason. 2 years ago, when the Bruins lost that 3-0 lead against Philly...things crumbled when Richards broke Krejcis wrist. Up until that point the Bruins had dominated the series. He is one of the NHLs greatest clutch performers at this time...those guys get paid. He may not put up great reg season numbers in the Bruins defense first system, but then again, he never falls apart when it matters most...he gets it done when the pressure is on. Thats when he gets it done. I give him his money.

Rask is the future, and the real deal....so he will get likely a 3 or 4 deal in the 16-18 mil range. 2 seasons ago when Thomas was injured, in limited time (42 starts), Rask led the NHL is GAA and SA%, and prorated to lead the league in shutouts as well. He and Schneider are the 2 best non-starters in the NHL.

So, I think I may have to adjust my expectations a wee bit, for FA.

On the blueline, as Rikster mentioned earlier, its probably much more realistic to see Sheldon Souray or Cam Barker in a Bruin uniform, than Wisniewski who may now be looking 6 mil per in the eyes.

Up front, I can still see Gagne or Cole POSSIBLY as targets. But more than likely a guy like Vinnie Prospal or Chris Drury, pending his health.

Later

2. rikster

rikster
    Expand Collapse
    2nd Team All-Star

I would be wary of Marchands next contract and I think the Bruins would be wise to keep a close eye on his off ice behavior....

Seeing his on ice and off ice antics, he reeks of a player in need or soon to be in need of the leagues substance abuse program....

i also think Chia needs to be wary of falling in love with his team...For all of the talk about how banged up the Canucks were, it still took Thomas to stand on his head and the officials to forget this wasn't the WWF for the Bruins to win and while Thomas might stand on his head again, the officiating will not be this loose again and the Bruins will be hard pressed to represent the East again....

The Bruins don't need to make a move until the February deadline, for that matter neither do the Canucks, so agree no need to screw up your teams budget for next season by blowing the wad on so so talent today...

Take care...

3. maineblackbear

maineblackbear
    Expand Collapse
    1st Team All-Star

I'm not worried in the least bit about Brad Marchand. He is a 23 year old kid who has been the toast of the town. He is living it up right now, and will settle down in short order. Yeah, he is going out on the town and partying hard...which is no different than 2.5 million other 23 year olds in the U.S. That said, the tough part is he is a public figure, so whatever he does is magnified a million times over what you or I would experience.

I hear you about the Bruin team this year.....but realize this. Dennis Seidenberg didnt play at all in the postseason 2 years ago. Krejci was injured in game 3 or 4 of that series against Philly. Though we will never know how it would have played out....I find it EXTREMELY difficult to believe that Boston would have lost to the Flyers if Krejci hadnt gone down in the middle of the series. Then Montreal next?

We could be talking a 2nd straight Cup Finals had Krejci not gone down when the B's were up 3-0.

But as I said....we will never know. But people sure continue to underestimate this team, its heart and its skill.

Later