Conference Final Predictions

Discussion in 'Hockey Talk' started by Die-hard1, May 13, 2011.

1. Die-hard1

Die-hard1
    Expand Collapse
    6th Round Pick

Well, not to toot my own horn but I'm 11 for 12 in predictions so far, even predicted the right number of games in both western conference series! Just shows you really do have to be lucky to be good. This said, it sure gets harder from here given the teams are much better when it gets this far into the playoffs.

Anyway, my next predictions:

Boston-TBay - I see TBay winning this series, the B's just don't seem to have what it takes IMHO. If Bergeron isn't 100% he will be sorely missed, he's a do it all type that Boston just can't do without. Roloson will stay hot, and I haven't liked Thomas' game nearly as much as most seem to. I say TBay in 6, but I have to admit I'm not all that sure about this prediction. Both teams have a lot of holes.

Van-SJ - again, this is a tough one - the Nucks have played the Sharks very hard this year and been much better in their regular season games. That said, for years the Nucks just couldn't beat the Sharks no matter where they played, so I don't see this being easy at all. The Nucks have a big advantage on D and in goal, but I personally think the Sharks have an advantage at forward. The Nucks are much faster and probably more skilled, but the Sharks are bigger and more physical. I see it as a pick em series - it goes 6 games and the Nucks win though. The much maligned Roberto Luongo will be the difference maker - for a guy who has had a very good playoffs to this point, whose numbers are miles better than Niemi's or Rinne's, and who was better than Pekka Rinne last series (yes I said that, Rinne had exactly 2 great games, otherwise was average) he sure has been taking a beating. He'll be just as good as he has been all year and the Nucks will win.

2. maineblackbear

maineblackbear
    Expand Collapse
    1st Team All-Star

Just curious...

What is it about Thomas that you don't like? The guy is going to win his 2nd Vezina in the last 3 years. He set the all time single season save percentage record this season. The guy oozes character and is such a focused guy.

What does he have to do to make people believe in him?

Later

3. Die-hard1

Die-hard1
    Expand Collapse
    6th Round Pick

He also plays behind an ultra-defensive team, had a horrible year last year and is 36 years old. Marty Brodeur is the goalie his is, and put up the numbers he did, largely because his team played so defensively that they almost never gave up more than 2 goals a game. Tim Thomas is in the same boat, IMHO.

I've said many times I really like Tim Thomas as a person, seems like one of the nicest guys around and a guy you really pull for. He's also let in some awful goals against pretty bad teams in Montreal and Philly, the PK Subban one stands out the most.

We'll see Jeff - I've been wrong many times before and I will be again many times, I just don't see Thomas as the strong link everybody seems to think he is. I hope I'm wrong, because I'd like the B's to get through to the finals.

4. maineblackbear

maineblackbear
    Expand Collapse
    1st Team All-Star

Depends On Bergeron

His injury will have a major impact on the season.

Boston won the season series 3 games to 1. Outscoring Tampa 15- 8. (winning 2-1, 4-3, 8-1 and losing 3 to 1.)

But obviously the postseason is different.

If Bergey plays beginning with game 3....Boston in 7.

If Bergey is out longer....Tampa in 6.

Later

5. maineblackbear

maineblackbear
    Expand Collapse
    1st Team All-Star

I hear you about the string defense.

But that strong defensive team was also 2nd in the NHL in goals scored during Thomas 1st Vezina season, and is 5th in the NHL this season.

No, they dont have the sexy names. But this team DOES play attacking hockey. I believe they are 2nd in shots per game....and no, they are not all perimeter shots.

I guess we just agree to disagree on this one.

Later

6. Original Beast

Original Beast
    Expand Collapse
    2nd Team All-Star

So i'm on the DH club - I'm also 11 for 12. (damn, washington sucks - serves me right for not picking an upset for the first time).

VAN > SJ: gonna be a great series. SJ has got great depth, a solid goalie in Niemi . But they are slow footed, have no superstar defensive pairings, and don't have a 4th line. Nucks need to aim high on Niemi and use their speed, and create havoc around their defence. Van will take this in 6.

TB > Bos: ok, i'm gonna pick the Cindarella team. i want to pick Boston tho, i like the bruins. but something about the way TB is playing, lots of guts, lots of guys on a great role like LeCavalier and Bergenhiem??. love Thomas, but no team goes far with a powerplay like the Bruins. yuk. plus bergeron is gone.

7. rikster

rikster
    Expand Collapse
    2nd Team All-Star

Well guys, I suck at predictions so not sure if I'm allowed to chime in with the experts here.... :)

Van/San Jose...I say Vancouver in 6

Boston/Tampa... I'm going with the Bruins in 7 ...

Regarding Thomas, the stats don't lie and for that reason you have to hand it to him, he is a very good goalie but he's a guesser and as compared to say a Rinne in Nashville who looks so big and so agile and so quick and so in control its hard to get a warm cuddly watching him play...

Take care...

8. m_peroni

m_peroni
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Fame

Vancouver in five.

Boston in six.

9. Shakes

Shakes
    Expand Collapse
    MVP

vancouver and boston........

Good for my entertainment value and good for the b fans that suffered through the Synden years.