Congrats to the Bruins - Stanley Cup Champs

Discussion in 'Hockey Talk' started by Connecticut, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Connecticut

Connecticut
    Expand Collapse
    1st Round Pick

Played a great series, very happy for Tim Thomas. I wish it had ended differently but them's the breaks.

Thanks to the Canucks for a great run. Proud of the guys. Thanks for chatting through the playoffs guys.

2. Original Beast

Original Beast
    Expand Collapse
    2nd Team All-Star

yes, congrats to the Bruins. congrats to Thomas.

congrats Jeff.

3. rikster

rikster
    Expand Collapse
    2nd Team All-Star

ditto

See you next season...

Take care...

4. ULF_55

ULF_55
    Expand Collapse
    Midget

Congrats Jeff.

Jeff wins our bet, I'm sporting a Bruins logo on the other site.

Okay, so the bet is about 10 years old ... it just took that long.

5. maineblackbear

maineblackbear
    Expand Collapse
    1st Team All-Star

I Have To Say...

What a VERY classy crowd after the game. Gave great cheers to the Bruins..especially hometown boy Milan Lucic.

I absolutely LOVE Ryan Kesler, Alex Edler, Kevin Bieksa, Raffi Torres, and Mason Raymond. Class acts and play the game like its meant to be played.

My biggest wish would be if sometime, somehow Ryan Kesler could become a Bruin!

Take care folks. Its been a fun year, and we had some spirited and passionate playoff discussions.

Bottom line, I love this board and all of the guys/gals who have frequented it over the years! I respect the hell out of all of you!

Thanks for the great time this spring!

Later

6. maineblackbear

maineblackbear
    Expand Collapse
    1st Team All-Star

Letting Them Play

I was glad to see the officials letting them play.

I was glad that both teams hit hard. Even when Chara got blindsided at the end of the 1st, I was actually happy that no call was made. It was a legit hockey play.

The only thing I didn't like was the cheap shot that was thrown at Ference...Hansen maybe? But oh well. Crap happens and their is no use complaining about it because everything tends to even out in the end.

I feel for Luongo. The guy was a huge piece of why Vancouver was in the series in the 1st place, and he is going to be the goat for a long time in Vancouver. Sure, he had some rough games...but who didn't on both sides?

Vigneault, I thought, should have called a time out prior to the power play. Settle the boys down. Get the Sedins to lighten their grips on their sticks.

To me, the only real source of frustration I would have as a Canuck fan, would be how the Sedins reacted to Bostons focus on pounding on them and mentally trying to break them.

Honestly, I thought they were the only real divers on the Vancouver team. I though Burrows embellished a couple things, but by and large he stuck his nose into the physical play and payed a mostly stand up series.

Sedins though are a different story. When Marchand was punching Daniel 6 or 7 times in the mouth....how in the heck could that guy just stand there and take it???

At some point, pride has to take over. It was obvious that had he responded that he would not have been penalized.

To me, thats why I personally knew that the Bruins had won the Cup. That singular moment represented, IMHO, the moment when the Sedins officially lost the will to play.

Cheap? Dirty? Gamesmanship? Sending a message? Crossing the line? Intimidation?

Whatever you want to call it, Brad Marchand broke Sedin with that single moment.

I cannot imagine a Bruin standing there and not responding to it. Hell, I can't imagine Phil Kessel standing there without punching him in the mouth.

My first thought when I saw that was this...What does Ryan Kesler think about that?

Later

7. ULF_55

ULF_55
    Expand Collapse
    Midget

Re: Letting Them Play

"My first thought when I saw that was this...What does Ryan Kesler think about that?"

My thought was, does no one on the Canucks care? For all the growth the Sedins have done, this series really dimishes who they are, but it is a team game and part of a team is taking care of business. Sedin's do need protection, maybe the Canucks just didn't have the tools to do that.

Difference between regular season and playoffs is that regular season is a bunch of one-offs, post season is game by game investments.

Kesler I'm sure is broken down, he really stopped skating after the shift he pulled up lame (San Jose seriess?).

By-the-way Kaberle tied for points lead amongst Bruins defenders. I maintained he was not a proper fit, but I also understand he was paired with a young defender with 86 regular season NHL games under his belt.

8. Shakes

Shakes
    Expand Collapse
    MVP

Re: I Have To Say...

Congrats Jeff finally someone on this board has a winner other then Scotty Bowman.......

Bask in the glory!

9. maineblackbear

maineblackbear
    Expand Collapse
    1st Team All-Star

Shakes,

Honestly....I AM rooting for the Leafs to return to glory.

IMHO, the NHL NEEDS to Original 6 teams to all be strong and successful franchises.

But as for basking in the glory....I absolutely WILL! The way the NHL is these days, the Bruins could easily go from Cup winners to out of the postseason within a season....the Black Hawks were almost in that same boat!

They have what it takes to contend consistently.....
    -heart and grit
    - above average skill level
    - their best players (with exception of Chara Thomas and a couple others) just entering their prime years
    - another top 10 pick
    - a potential franchise player (Seguin) who SHOULD end up being a dynamic dominant offensive force
    - a number of quality skilled forwards in the minor system

But again, health makes everything a crapshoot!

Later

10. rikster

rikster
    Expand Collapse
    2nd Team All-Star

I wish you had left it alone...

I wasn't glad that the officials put their whistles away. That is clearly an advantage to the Bruins just like it was in game 7 against Tampa...

Both Tampa and Vancouver were built with the new rules in mind, and the 3 headed monster decided to take the game back to pre lockout days...

In this series, if the rule book had been enforced it would have likely been an advantage for the Bruins, but that's not the point...

As I said earlier, the league needs to sort this out...

It boggles the mind that someone would think ignoring a penalty because you don't want to influence the outcome makes any sense?

Why have a rule book? Allowing penalties to go influences games...

The Bruins admitted that they knew the Nucks were banged up and they decided to attack them physically...

The officials said your welcome...

I've said that I would have awarded the Conn Smythe to Chara, he was a beast of a man who was allowed to spend most of the series on the other side of the line and he is too big and too good to be allowed to whack and hack without it influencing the Sedins performance...

The thinking is Henrik Sedin has been dealing with a back issue since round 2, I won't be surprised if we learn it was a back and a rib....

Kesler we know was a horse playing with a torn groin and a torn hip labrum ...

Daniel Sedin shouldn't have had to do anything about Marchand because Marchand should have been penalized after the first or second punch...The officals allowed the leagues scoring leader and finalist for the Hart to be punched 5 times in full view of everybody ...

In a nutshell, the way the games were called protected the grinders and allowed open season on the games best players....

If the Nucks had an enforcer, this series which some think has been one of the dirtiest in a very long time would have had the added bonus of some fights and brawls...That really works...

I didn't like the Hansen hit on Ferrence, but I also didn't like the butt end of Thomas stick put in Hansens face either, and again the replay shows an official staring at the infraction and saying carry on....

Butt ending and spearing are two weapons the Bruins employed with regularity...

And the Nucks are entitled to a few mulligans seeing as how the Bruins have 2 broken backs to their credit...

I will go to my grave believing that Campbell and Murphy played a direct role in the games outcome...They knew the Bruins best chance to win was to take the game back in time and they instructed the officials "to let them play"...

As Gallagher points out, all of the early calls went against Vancouver and after the games were out of reach, they called the Bruins to make it look good on paper...

I still smile when I think back to game 1 or 2 when the puck was shot off the glass and out of play...the 4 officals huddled and called a delay of game penalty...

You had to know at that moment that the officials were either totally incompetent or influenced...

Anyways, as I said at the beginning, I wish you hadn't got this started...

I will end the rant with the thought that in spite of it all and with the Nucks decimated with injuries, if they had only gotten stable and NHL calibre goaltending the outcome might have been determined in 5 ....

Congrats ...

Take care...

11. Shakes

Shakes
    Expand Collapse
    MVP

I think that this year that the Leafs have a chance to be in the playoff's. But they are a long ways away from a cup. UFA signings always give you potential.

Still would be nice for them to make it again.....

Speaking of the Hawks your absolutely right and your absolutely right about being a cup winner to not making the playoff's the following year. I do not see this happening with the Bruins but you never know. I was thinking that a Boston vs. Hawks series would have been one hell of a series to watch for the banging factor as both teams match up with similar styles of play. Oh well just a tought.

I did not think Kaberle played that bad for Boston in the last two rounds defensively. The minutes were limited but he was effective and he did help offensively. Definately not a good fit in Boston however.

12. Shakes

Shakes
    Expand Collapse
    MVP

Congrats to the Vancouver Cannucks

Vancouver has a lot to be proud about in almost winning the Cup. I really feel sorry for the fans as it is going to take some time to heal after this one. My heart goes out to the Vancouver fans it really does.

I think that Vancouver just needed to be healthier and it might have made a difference so all the talk of moving players around is something that needs to be addressed at a much later time......Just my thoughts.

13. Shakes

Shakes
    Expand Collapse
    MVP

Re: Congrats Jeff.

LOL!

Kaberle's number on it? It will probably be on sale in a month!

14. Original Beast

Original Beast
    Expand Collapse
    2nd Team All-Star

i agree with Rikster here Jeff, let that reffing crap thing go.

we all know the refs basically allowed 1970's goon hockey to be legal again. the amount of slashing we saw in this series was more than the entire playoffs it seemed. you won the cup, good for you and your bruins.

but knows this:

1. Van lost a war of attrition, injuries continue to mount,and going thru the rough ride with very physical teams like Chicago, Nashville and San Jose takes a mounting toll. Montreal, Tampa and a terribly injured, pronger-less Flyers obviously took less of the Bruins.

2. the difference in goaltending in the final series is astounding - if Lou played at 1/2 the level of his counter part in the series, Van likely would've won the series. they couldn't solve Thomas, even with powerplays.

3. Van didn't lose because they couldnt' match Bruins physicality (we out hit you guys by a wide margin in 3 games of the 7), we couldn't adjust to the dirty play - the slashing, hooking and holding that was continually allowed - both mentally and physically (due point #1). they couldnt adjust their game, and that is failure, any way you look at it.

the stars just didn't line up completely for Vancouver,even though they were so close. it did for Boston. again, good for the Bruins.

15. maineblackbear

maineblackbear
    Expand Collapse
    1st Team All-Star

I Wasn't Going On About Officiating

I WAS going on about the Sedins inability to deal with physical play. You know what...the officials DIDN'T whistle Marchand. Then be a man and step up and defend yourself.

Enough of the whiny crap.

BOTH teams were dirty. You guys can continue with the "refs allowed the Canucks to be assaulted" line all you want.

IT WENT BOTH WAYS.

I find it hilarious that Boychuk is the boogieman for Raymonds unfortunate injury. And yet, many of you and your Vancouver fan bretheren put the blame for Hortons injury...on Horton himself!

Its always the same tired old woe is me...the NHL and Big Bad Dirty Bruins are picking on the innocent defenseless Vancouver Canucks.

They played just as dirty as the Bruins did.

Later

16. maineblackbear

maineblackbear
    Expand Collapse
    1st Team All-Star

Tomas

I have to say that Kabs made me eat my words about him. He played a solid game, from about game 3 or 5 of the TB series, through the Finals.

He certainly helped them out during the Finals, but I agree that he isn't a good fit in Boston. I will be surprised if they resign him, though word is that they will over him a 2 year deal for no more than 5 mil total. They believe that Steve Kampfer is ready to assume that role within a year or 2.

Later

17. maineblackbear

maineblackbear
    Expand Collapse
    1st Team All-Star

2 Broken Backs?

Yeah...thats a hoot.

I assume that one of those broken backs is Dan Hamhuis? You mean the injury suffered when HE CHECKED Lucic and Lucic fell on him with his body weight? Attempting to lay blame on the Bruins for that injury is a joke. David Krejci crosschecked him, but that had ZERO contributing factor to the injury. Watch the video...Hamhuis is wincing in pain when Krejci is still 3 strides from him.

Nice try.

As for Raymond...funny how you all minimized Romes hit on Horton...many of you blaming Horton for having his head down. You all said that a 2 minute interference penalty was all that was warranted for Rome.

And yet you act as if Boychuk should now be at the top of the FBI's Most Wanted List.

Guess it is only the Bruins who are dirty. Because after all Rome did nothing wrong, while Boychuk apparently stalked a victim and pounced on him with the intention of breaking his back.

Later

18. Sir Rodney

Sir Rodney
    Expand Collapse
    NHL

Some Whiny Crap

Jeff,

I get your feelings on the Sedins not "defending themselves" as being unmanly. What I don't get is why you feel that should be necessary? We can all harken back to the day when no one took liberties with Gretzky because Semenko would extract revenge. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there a big push in today's NHL to take fighting out of the League? Maybe I missed the memo where that was no longer their objective. Until I hear otherwise, I'm going to go with if it's a penalty, call the damn thing. I guess that qualifies as whiny crap.

Of course it went both ways. Call the penalties to both teams whenever they are deserved. No one here has suggested that only the Bruins should be penalized. Not quite whiny crap but close I admit.

I don't recall anyone suggesting that Boychuk was the boogieman. I for one analyzed the play as a former official and stated that the play should have resulted in a penalty for interference. I don't blame Boychuk, I blame the NHL entirely for it's inconsistency in handling the two incidents. It should have been a penalty and it should have been followed up in the same manner the Rome/Horton hit was. I admit that definitely qualifies as whiny crap.

I think you are putting words into our mouths when you imply that we blamed Horton for his injury. He contributed to the situation by skating in to the attacking zone with his head down which is a statement of fact and doesn't imply blame. Remember the NHL's ruling was based on the lateness of the hit, not the hit itself. They stated that if it had been on time, it would have been considered a legitimate hockey play. The injury would still have happened in all likelihood all of which is extremely unfortunate. More League directed whiny crap.

Time to move on. Jeff, clearly the better team won. Congrats!!

19. maineblackbear

maineblackbear
    Expand Collapse
    1st Team All-Star

I Agree WIth Just About Everything You Said

Sir Rodney,

Maybe I am just being sensitive about what, to me, appears to be an almost complete discrediting of the Bruins work and victory.

The gist of what I read here is that the Bruins win is due to the NHL WANTING the Bruins to win, and going out of their way to ensure that the Bruins style of play was how the games were to be played. Many insinuations (and a number of flat out accusations) have been made that the Bruins controlled the media. That the NHL/officials intentionally made calls against Vancouver that they would not call against the Bruins.

Thats a total slap in the face to the effort, desire, skill and physical play that the Bruins put forth.

I DO agree that injuries played a key part in the Cup win. And due to that, I don't know if I can sit here and type that the Bruins are the best team in the NHL. They did win the ultimate prize, but that doesn't mean they are the best team in the league. But thats beside the point.

I don't want to say that the Sedins are "unmanly." They play in the NHL....that in and of itself pretty well eliminates the unmanly tag. They have to be fairly tough guys to play in this league. But to me, it was clear as day that they officials were going to let these 2 teams play. Brad Marchand had no doubts about that. Hell, Ryan Kesler had no doubts either, as he played physically, as well as at times on edge. Thats why I absolutely love that guy. Next to Patrice Bergeron, he may well be my favorite NHL player.

All of this said, with the knowledge that the refs are letting you play....and ESPECIALLY after you have had your mouth punched for about the 5th time, I would HOPE that any NHL player who has any self-respect would say, "Enough is enough!" and punch Marchand in the mouth! Had that been LaPierre doing that to Krejci, I know darned well that he would have punched him back. It doesn't mean they have to drop the gloves and fight, but it should be a statement that you refuse to let yourself be bullied!

Should Marchand have been run after that display? ABSOLUTELY!

But my point is that knowing he WAS NOT getting run, its incumbent upon the victim (Sedin) to stand up and take a stand.

After he stood there and took the 6th and 7th punches, I knew that the Cup was Bostons. As I said earlier, my initial thought was "I wonder what Kesler thinks about that." I bet he was absolutely ripped that a penalty wasn't called. But I bet it absolutely killed him that Sedin just stood there and allowed himself to be bullied.

Rodney...I havn't had issue with you for whiny crap. As you said, you analayzed the Boychuk and Rome incidents. I just do not believe that Boychuk deserved a suspension. I believe an interference penalty was warranted, as you said. I do not believe that Boychuk had any intention of hurting Raymond. Nothing in the video replay indicates a single but of malicious behavior. He as GLIDING with Raymond, rather than skating towards the wall. He did not push or shove Raymond into the wall. To me, and I realize that 99.9% of Vancouver fans completely disagree with me, it was a completely accidental and incredibally devastating injury, that was a complete freak occurance.

Yet, many here and on other boards, are painting Boychuk as some sadistic monster who had to take out a Canuck player. A poster here actually stated that the Bruins now have 2 broken backs to their credit... the one and only way that accusation/statement can be taken is that the poster is claiming that the Bruins intentionally took out 2 Canuck players with malicious intent.

And at the same time, they blame Nathan Horton for keeping his head down! His head was NOT down when he was hit....he was looking directly at Lucic, who has taken 2 full strides after receiving the puck! Horton was looking for a return pass!

Has the NHL been inconsistent in its handling of incidents? Absolutely.

Is it a 1 way street...no way in hell. The hit on Chara last night....if that wasn't game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals, the Vancouver player who ran him, is likely bounced from the game. But like I said, I dont blame Hansen (or whomever it was) for delivering that hit....thats the standard that the officials set. The awful shot that was delivered to Ference was the same thing....the standard that the NHL allowed to be set for this series.

The Bruins played to the standard that was set....which incidentally, I believe was set when the NHL in its infinite wisdom refused to even acknowledge that Burrows bit Bergeron. Suspension? I believe it warranted it. But whether or not he was suspended, I don't care. But a fine should have at least been levied. But it wasn't.

Then came the taunting of Bergeron by LaPierre, Fine, Bergeron spoke to the press about it prior to the taunting. The NHL did nothing about the taunting, until Lucic and Recchi did the exact same thing that LaPierre did.

Fan reaction? The Bruins are asses because they taunted Burrows and LaPierre in return. And not once did anyone here say anything about the initial taunting.

It was a 2 way street.

EVERYTHING was a 2 way street....missed calls, dives, cross-checks, slashes, hits that injured players.

It was not just the Boston Bruins.

I think I'm done now.

Later

20. Die-hard1

Die-hard1
    Expand Collapse
    6th Round Pick

Re: I Agree WIth Just About Everything You Said

Congrats to Jeff and congrats to the Bruins - they were simply the better team this series and the stats show that. I'm not sure how anybody can deny that.

At the beginning of the series the Canucks were the faster, stronger team - but the Bruins wore them down physically to the point that almost every Canuck regular was either out of the lineup or playing through a significant injury. This is not bad luck, this is something a big, mean team like the Bruins do - they make you fight for every inch of ice. The Bruins broke the Canucks' will, and the guy who usually picks them up and puts them on his back when that happens (Kesler) was playing through a torn groin and a torn hip labrum so he couldn't this time.

In the end, the Canucks just didn't have the legs for the last two games, and unfortunately their goalie couldn't win one for them on his own.

Full credit to the Bruins - now we'll see what Gillis does to upgrade the team in the summer. They've got almost all the pieces in place, now they just need to get a bit tougher on the top two lines so they aren't so beat up when crunch time comes.

21. Sir Rodney

Sir Rodney
    Expand Collapse
    NHL

Hi Jeff,

Just so we are on the same wave length, I don't blame the Bruins for anything. I totally understand why they played the way they did. It was the style they were built for. They played within the framework set out by the NHL during the playoffs and did it far better than the Canucks did or could for that matter. I don't buy into any of the conspiracy theories in terms of preferential treatment such as Campbell's son's team being given an edge - horse puckies. The style of game played in the playoffs suited a team like the Bruins more. That's all. Going in to the series, I expected the Bruins would get the lion's share of the penalties and the Canuck power play would make them pay. Didn't happen on either front and that's what most Canuck fans were upset about. Full credit to the Bruins' penalty killing when the Canucks did get their opportunities and didn't capitalize. A few power play goals early on would have had a dramatic impact on the way the games were played. When the power play proved to be ineffective for whatever reason, the Bruins had no reason to change what got them there. A lot of credit for that goes to your coaches. Beast will likely blame Vigneault for the lack of success but it's Newell Brown who is the power play coach and if anyone should have found a way to adjust, it was him.

That hit on Chara you referred to was mentioned in one of my first posts last night was done by Higgins. That hit had absolutely nothing to do with the play on ice. It was deliberate and should have been penalized, no question. The problem was dealt with by the TSN panel after the game. When the officials had clearly shown that nothing was going to be called, they had laid the ground work for that sort of incident.

I think the attention this series got in terms of it being one of the most exciting in years will deter any thoughts of the playoffs following the regular season model. With the Canucks this off season, I fully expect a shift more to the North American style of hockey through the player changes they make. There's no point building a team for a NHL that doesn't really exist.

I don't know if you saw my mention in one of my other posts that Brad Ference's mother in law works for my wife. Technically, both work for the Canadian Mental Health Association here in Vernon. My wife is the executive director and his mother in law manages the Georgette Shop which is their store for selling donated clothing and is one of CMHA's principal fund raising outlets. Two women named Sandy both working together but cheering for different teams. CAT FIGHT!!! Nah, didn't happen.

Something else I didn't tell you. Going back to the old six team NHL, I was a die hard Bruins fan. I always pulled for the under dogs back then and the Bruins and Blackhawks were the teams I pulled for (never the Rangers - take that Mick). When Milt Schmidt did your opening the other day, it brought back some memories. I had his hockey card. Wish I still had it. Other than Trevor Linden, my all time favorite hockey player was Bobby Orr.

Be prepared for next year. We will be coming after you.

22. Sir Rodney

Sir Rodney
    Expand Collapse
    NHL

Hi D-H,

I was interested in where you think the Canucks will be looking to get bigger and tougher. I was thinking more in terms of the last two lines and the defense. The next couple of weeks will make for some very interesting Gillis watching.

23. rikster

rikster
    Expand Collapse
    2nd Team All-Star

It's shouldn't be that difficult to understand Jeff...

I can't work for a company that is running a contest open to the public and be eligable to win, yet in the NHL I can oversea the officating and have a son playing for a team competing for the Cup...

I can be caught with very damaging emails which show an extreme bias and still keep my job...

As you follow it thru, it just gets crazier and crazier...

And for some strange reason the league decides to resort to a pre lockout standard of officiating, and I would suggest it was worse than the years leading up to the lockout, this year...

Two teams built differently, one much more able to win a war in the trenches game and the other more able to play by the post lockout rules...

So which did we get? We got what some consider the dirtiest series in some time and why would the Nucks resort to a war in the trenches when they can't win at that game?...

Frustration set in as they realized the way the series was being called and the injuries continued to mount...

They get told that for the first time in league history, a suspension of 4 games was being handed out for being a half second too late, and that the severity of the injury heavily influenced the decision...

So, Nuck fans thought that breaking somebodys back on an illegal play was worthy of the same consideration, yet the league decided to make a ruling wihout the medical report and felt that while the on ice officials made a mistake in not penalizing the Bruins player, they aint doing nothing about it....

Don Cherry goes off on the Sedins for getting into the retalitory game, and then when a Sedin doesn't retaliate, some go offf on them for that...

Why run anybody? Do we need another Horton or Raymond?

Here's a novel idea for you, just call the damn rules and see if that brings some civility back to the game from both sides...

It was like only giving the bully the bat and then giving the victim heck for getting beat up...

Freak accident...they happen very rarely which is why they are called freak accidents...

The Bruins have been involved in too many "freak accidents" for them not to be intentional...

How else do you explain the Bruins being blitzed on the power play by Tampa in game 6 and then for the first time in 40 years there are no calls in game 7...

How does Chara escape punishment after running the Habs player into the stantion?

How does Ryder get away with a blindside hit to the Bolts player?

Notice none of these incidents involve a Canucks player?

Notice how Jacobs and Campbell are both involved?...

Take care...

24. Connecticut

Connecticut
    Expand Collapse
    1st Round Pick

Re: 2 Broken Backs?

I think he meant Pacioretty. It's a fact. You can say they were accidents, but the Bruins broke 2 backs this season.

And just to point out the obvious -- if you're calling Canucks out as hypocrites for minimizing Rome's hit on Horton, why aren't YOU as up in arms about the hit on Raymond as you were when Horton got hit? Where's that twerp peroni calling Boychuk disgusting saying he should be suspended for 20 games?Pot, meet kettle.

25. Trout Bum

Trout Bum
    Expand Collapse
    ECHL

Yup, congrats to the Bruins and their fans. They were the better team in the final, and deserved it. Tim Thomas in particular was amazing.

26. maineblackbear

maineblackbear
    Expand Collapse
    1st Team All-Star

Rikster..

Rikster...I get what you are saying about the APPEARANCE of conflict of interest.

But I would submit that it goes both ways. One of the absolute worst e-mails Campbell penned, was to rip one of the Bruins best players, Marc Savard. While he was referring to Savards days as a Ranger and Thrasher, how could a Bruin fan feel comfortable that the Bruins wouldnt be targeted, due to Savards presence on the team. All of the BRuin fans I know, did not really believe that there was bias. Rather, we were upset that Campbell would say those things about any player.

I hear you about all of those things that occured with Bruin players.

But add these....Bergeron, Krejci, Horton, Savard. All players who were carried out on stretchers after dirty hits. In fact, Bergeron has suffered 3 concussions from blindside hits over the past 3 seasons....Savard twice and Krejci twice.

It could easily be construed that the Bruins star players have been targeted for 3 seasons now, with hits from behind, the blindside, late etc.

As for Game 7 of the TB series...I watched that game when it was played, as well as DVR twice. IMHO, that was as clean a game as I can remember. I do recall TWO situations (1 for each team) in which penalties COULD have been called. The officials favored neither team. Ryder hit a guy from behind. Moore slashed a Bruin from behind.

As I said in an earlier post, things even out.

Later

27. maineblackbear

maineblackbear
    Expand Collapse
    1st Team All-Star

I Dont Know DieHard1

I think the Canucks have plenty of grit...Kesler, LaPierre, Raymond, Burrows, Hansen, the blueliners.

I have always been of the belief, however, that your best players also need to be your examples. I believe that on the best teams, your key guys set your tone, physically.

With the Bruins, it is Lucic, Horton, Bergeron, Marchand, Recchi. But also, David Krejci will hit you over and over...and even more importantly TAKE hits and keep on producing.

Up and down that line-up, this team was built to withstand the physical beatings. It WAS also built with the mindset that no longer will they be bullied....as the sheer number of players they have had carted off the ice on a stretcher over the last 3 years, can be testament to the need for toughness.

But every single guy who has been acquired over the past couple seasons (other than Kaberle)...Seidenberg, Horton, Campbell, Kelly, Peverley....is a guy who is gritty, who will hit you over and over, and who will take YOUR hit, get up and punch you back in the mouth.

Add those acquisitions to Lucic, Marchand, Bergeron, Chara, Boychuk, McQuaid, Ference, Paille, Thornton, and THOMAS!

Really, the only non-physical players on this team are Ryder, Kaberle and Seguin....and even Seguin started hitting in the postseason.

I hope the Canucks have the guys who can learn to be those guys. They are still possibly the best team in the NHL.

Not much fine tuning needs to be done.

Later

28. rikster

rikster
    Expand Collapse
    2nd Team All-Star

Re: Rikster..

The emails, including the one you sited, speak to the character of the person and make it clear that he is capable of influencing the officials...

The number of concussions Bruin players have suffered could make the resolve to overly punish Rome stronger...

In hindsight, did Horton need to be taken off on a stretcher?...

Would you have felt the same way about game 7 against Tampa if the Bruins had lost?..

At the end of the day, I do tip my hat to the Bruins who were the better team 1 game more than the Canucks were, and accept that some of my feelings are simply being a sore loser...

Take care...

29. Die-hard1

Die-hard1
    Expand Collapse
    6th Round Pick

Re: I Dont Know DieHard1

Oh I agree Jeff, they have plenty of grit - if they can stay healthy.

Unfortunately they've proven over the last couple of playoff years that they just can't stay healthy. Could this be bad luck? Sure I guess, but I don't think so. They need to get bigger on the top two lines in particular, because the bottom two lines (Hansen, Lappierre, Torres, Manny, Oreskovich) seem to have both size and grit.

I just don't think Kesler can do it carrying a line by himself anymore, he can do it for a couple of rounds but he gets beaten to a pulp out there. He needs some support on his line - a winger who can go to the net and has decent hands. The Nucks have the cap space and assets to add somebody like that even if they decide to bring both Bieksa and Ehrhoff back - I think this is the biggest thing that Gillis needs to address in the offseason because there really aren't many holes on this team.

The Bruins have a bunch of players that will hit you and take a hit, but more importantly they have the ability to stay healthy. As you saw in the last few games of this series, the Canucks don't seem to have that. It could be the western conference playoffs are that much harder to win, or that the Nucks are just unlucky (as I said above), but whatever it is Gillis needs to figure out how to fix it.

If he does, I see no reason why the Nucks can't be the favourites to win it all again next year - in fact I think they almost surely will be.

30. Original Beast

Original Beast
    Expand Collapse
    2nd Team All-Star

Re: hey jeff

hey Jeff,

please don't throw words in my mouth or others,
    i know i NEVER said any of the following you accuse some of us saying like:

- only Bruins played dirty (of course Van did to in response, but like many said, not built for it (as being able to adjust is necessary to winning, obviously Bruins adjusted to Van's skill/speed),
    - blaming Horton - all i said, is he would normally have had his head up and it wouln't have hurt him. i'm a fan of Horton, Chara and many Bruins players. (marchand i dislike, but he was immensely successful and instrumental to your cup win).
    - accused Boychuk of intent to kill raymond - was more discussing about NHL consisntency, they should have at least LOOKED at the case given Rome's length and criteria of suspension (SR explained this clearly)
    - that Sedin should not have stuck up for himself. i said i wished he'd sock Marchand big time. but it still "cheating/infraction", which is a penalty.

grouping views expressed by one person or the "media" can skewer your opinions of others. i mean the crap i read about how the canucks are this or that in so much negativity gets to us as well, especially those of us who have been loyal and supportive to our team, much like you are with your bruins.

on a side note, if discussing things is called whiny, or woe as me, than why discuss anything on a board, i never resort to name calling - it aint too difficult to do on a message board, and unnecesary. i've enjoyed the topics and debates discussed during this playoff run, and i thank you and everyone here for participating.

have a great summer.