Congratulations Winnipeg!!

Discussion in 'Hockey Talk' started by Original Beast, May 31, 2011.

1. Original Beast

Original Beast
    Expand Collapse
    2nd Team All-Star

i hope they can bring back the old name and logo - always one of my faves. this is very good for Canada. too bad the Nordiques couldn't return, love their jerseys too. =0)

Winnipeg buys Thrashers

2. m_peroni

m_peroni
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Fame

I must say that i am happy to see Winnipeg back, although i also hope it wouldn't be a screwy schedule with the SE teams since they will play in that division for the upcoming season.

A couple of things i want to say as well. True North were truly classy in the whole process. They were professional, did not hype anything and they weren't so aggressive. This is something that Balsillie should have learned as he did the complete opposite by acting like an immature child with a lot of money putting up schemes.

There is little room for error here in not just Winnipeg, but Canada. Winnipeg may be a fun team, but it's a risky location. It is a small city, and the location isn't exactly a dreamland for many. If this team doesn't maintain security in terms of finances and success, then it will be well over two decades for Canada to get a team.

I think they should go with the Jets, but with a modernized logo, though no drastic changes, and the same colors but different patterns.

It's a great day in hockey and in Canada. I just hope it works out well.

3. Sir Rodney

Sir Rodney
    Expand Collapse
    NHL

I have some real concerns about Winnipeg long term. There are so many factors in place for them to have a chance to succeed but if some of those start to fail, Edmonton, Calgary and Edmonton could soon follow. There is no question they deserve a chance to make this work. It didn't take long before some of the negatives started popping up in the media. True North is looking for a three-year commitment on season tickets to start. Obviously they need a sound base from which to work but could that scare off the less committed fan?

The Jets are part of their history and that image should be preserved intact. I would prefer it if the new team got an entirely new identity. New name, new colors, new logo. They could use the old Jets colors for a retro third jersey. I would even be happy to see them make the Manitoba Moose their NHL identity. The same ownership is involved in both teams so that isn't an issue. Re-naming their AHL affiliate is less of a problem, especially as it will no longer be paired with the Canucks.

Speaking of the Canucks, I would really like to see the Abbotsford Heat move to Saskatoon and remain as the Calgary farm team. That would open up the possibility of Abbotsford being the Canucks AHL affiliate. Geographically, that would make sense for both the Flames and the Canucks.

4. maineblackbear

maineblackbear
    Expand Collapse
    1st Team All-Star

Awesome News!

Winnipeg needs NHL hockey. Hopefully they will be able to support it and have a successful franchise.

On a related note, it appears to be a fait acompli that the Detroit Red Wings will be the team that moves to the Eastern Conference, for likely the 2012-13 season.

Later

5. m_peroni

m_peroni
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Fame

Re: Awesome News!

That's stupid. Move Nashville to the SE, it would make more sense.

6. Connecticut

Connecticut
    Expand Collapse
    1st Round Pick

Since when did making sense have any part in the NHL's decision making process?

I've actually heard both -- for a long time there was a rumor that Detroit had "dibs" on moving to the East, but more recently I've heard that's not necessarily true. Fact of the matter is that the decision will be made by the BoG and I think Detroit will have to make a strong case, it will be difficult to rely on a "promise" they were made years ago. Obviously Nashville's a much more reasonable fit for the SE. Personally, I'd love to see Detroit out of my conference, but the teams that really want it are the central division folks who have to see them 6 times a year (although financially the Wings are probably their biggest draw, so it may be a trade off).

7. Original Beast

Original Beast
    Expand Collapse
    2nd Team All-Star

morning SR,

i have similar concerns with Winnipeg. but any way you slice it, it's better than that team being in Atlanta, or a host of other cities still with a team. A lot will have to do with the Canadian economy and how strong it will remain. can that local fan base support such a pricey ticket?? we shall see. i hope they do well, this league would do well with more Canadian teams - there's a passion and knowledge there, that brings much more to the table than any sunbelt city.

smart move to keep them in the SE for now. no time for change. Detroit will finally get it's overdue wish next next season.

can't wait till tonite. sheesh, it' seems like it's been forever since any hockey.

8. maineblackbear

maineblackbear
    Expand Collapse
    1st Team All-Star

Whats being bandied about is a shift of Detroit to the East, and then a realignment of the "new" conferences, to reflect geographical location.

Later