Does Toronto have what it takes to get Markstrom?...

Discussion in 'Hockey Talk' started by rikster, Jul 2, 2012.

1. rikster

rikster 2nd Team All-Star

Just wondering...

Doesn't seem like Toronto has what will be needed to deal for Luongo...

Florida's owner is pushing for Luongo as much for his revenue generating value as his on ice value, but are reluctant to part with the players the Nucks are wanting...

So, what if the Panthers deal Markstrom to the Leafs and the Panthers deal with the Nucks for Luongo?...

Take care...

2. Clint27

Clint27 MVP

I think that that would make more sense than the Leafs overpaying for Luongo..as I said before, not that Lou isn't worth a lot in a trade, I just think the Leafs are close enough to being legitimate contenders to give up a lot for Lou...

3. m_peroni

m_peroni Hall of Fame

Where are you hearing that Panthers ownership want Luongo? None of that down here.

Markstrom would probably be used to bring in a very good, proven, young forward. I don't think Toronto has anything that really interests the Panthers in that regard.

4. rikster

The Canucks have a goalie by the name of Eddie Lack who has put up very similar numbers to Markstrom in more games in the AHL...

The hype over Lack is not as nearly as strong as it is for Markstrom, likely because the Canucks have 2 elite goalies ahead of Lack in the system while the Panthers don't....

I suggested in an another thread that the Leafs are over valuing Gardner, likely for the same reason Panther fans are over valuing Markstrom...

To say no to a Luongo deal because Markstrom is in their system would be a big mistake on the part of the Panthers in my opinion....

Speaking of goalies in the sun belt, shouldn't Stevie Y sign a goalie before he spends all of this money on lower pairing d men?...In Lindback they have a goalie who has put up sub par numbers in the AHL and after rolling the dice and losing last season with Roloson in goal, do they want to roll the dice on an unproven goalie this year?...

Take care....

5. m_peroni

m_peroni Hall of Fame

Eddie Lack looks like a good prospect, although two years older, and has not even played a second in the NHL. Markstrom has played 7 NHL games and looked very promising.

I don't think Markstrom is being overvalued. He is ranked as one of the best goalie prospects. He was the best goalie in the WJC in 2009, won an award for it. He won rookie of the year in Sweden.

And to say no to a Luongo deal really depends on what the Canucks are seeking in the deal. If it is worth it, Tallon will most likely do it. If not then Tallon sticks with a goalie tandem that worked and has Markstrom coming up the ranks.

As for the Bolts. I agree that once again Yzerman is gambling with his goaltending, but i think Lindback is a good gamble and at the least he still has potential to reach.

6. Die-hard

Die-hard MVP

Markstrom looks like a heck of a goalie prospect, one of the best in the world, but he's also very young and has already had knee problems. Not exactly a good thing for a goalie.

Lack suffers from the same problem as Chris Tanev - he wasn't drafted so he obviously can't be that good. Garrison and Burrows have the same issue. It's odd, when a player is a 1st rounder or 2nd rounder he's given every benefit of the doubt even if he can't play a lick - look at Montreal just signing Hugh Jessiman who is awful but was a 1st rounder. Tanev has been nothing but extremely steady since he came into the league - yet players who are nowhere near as good as him are rated higher.

Lack is likely every bit as good as Markstrom at the moment - who knows how they will each develop - but Vancouver definitely doesn't need another goalie right now. Florida possibly won't in a year or two, but if they get Lu they all of a sudden have solid goaltending for the next 5 or 6 years. I truthfully think they will get him in the next couple of weeks, though I have no idea what the return will be. I'm not expecting them to have to give up the farm.

7. maineblackbear

maineblackbear 1st Team All-Star

Florida Doesnt Have Any Interest In Luongo

Their management has said that they dont have interest in re-acquiring Luongo.

8. m_peroni

m_peroni Hall of Fame

I think Tallon is trying to find players that would be plugged in to the holes left by a Luongo trade. So, if Upshall goes, he probably needs to get a RW.

He may also want to finish up the contracts for Versteeg and Kulikov before making a move to acquire an expensive contract in Luongo.

I think Tallon will try hard to get Doan. He is very close to Ellerby (cousins) and Ellerby has said many times how he looks up to him. Florida has a lot of ranches, and equestrian areas for Doan's horses too :D But, i think things have to fall into place before we see a Luongo trade.

Florida is in no rush to make this deal either.

9. Sir Rodney

Re: Florida Doesnt Have Any Interest In Luongo

Hi Jeff,

It's called haggling. I don't doubt for a minute that this is the message coming out of Florida. Much the same as the message coming out of Toronto, Chicago, Columbus, etc.. Name a better goal tender on the market right now and I'd buy in to that spin. He isn't out there and don't even bother throwing Thomas' name into the mix. This isn't a quick short term fix we are talking about. There are a number of teams that would benefit from a significant goalie upgrade but at this point, they would prefer to shop in the bargain bin. Interesting enough, there is more and more discussion in Vancouver about being okay with keeping both goal tenders. That's a clear counter message that if teams are waiting for the price to drop, they will have a long wait. There is absolutely no urgency in getting a deal done. All of the business of Luongo "demanding" a trade out is BS. Don't be surprised to see the Canucks go into the season with 1A and 1B in the net. Right now, it's the most likely scenario and more and more of us are fine with that.

10. m_peroni

m_peroni Hall of Fame

I don't think they ever said that definitively. I think Tallon just shrugged at the idea and said "it's all speculation" one time, but Tallon knows that he has to improve the team for this upcoming season as well since the Caps, Canes, and Bolts made additions to their line-ups, and the Jets as well with Jokinen.

Tallon probably has a couple of plans, and Luongo would be a back-up plan.

11. Sir Rodney

We have a guy who looks up to virtually everybody. Jordan Schroeder. He gets a kink in his neck looking up during face offs.

12. maineblackbear

Depends On What We Consider "Better."

If your talking REGULAR season numbers and production, you are absolutely correct. Luongo is the best available. Well, thats of course if your limiting it to a guy who has more than 2 or 3 years remaining. If you dont limit it to that, then Tim Thomas IS better than Luongo. is list of accomplishments in the NHL dwarf Luongos.

But for the sake of ommiting TT from the discussion.

If your looking for a goalie to lead you on a playoff run, and that SHOULD be the goal, Luongo is NOT the guy you would want, especially when you consider the 10 years and 5.3 per that he has remaining on the deal

You look at his postseason stats, GAA and SA%, and his numbers are nothing more than pedestrian. The aforementioned Tim Thomas playoff numbeers are astoundingly superior. Luongos postseason performances hhave been more in line with the Michael Leightons of the world. Almost identical, though RL obviously has more starts.

So, to sum up this very brief post.....If my goal was to get TO the playoffs, I would absolutely bring Luongo in. If I wanted to get THROUGH the playoffs....nope. He is not the guy to do it for you.

Later

13. rikster

Re: Depends On What We Consider "Better."

Kevin Woodley would disagree with you...

I think Thomas and Semin are now linked, elite talents who are flakes and locker room killers and while most will remember that Conn Smythe run, more recent history is that Thomas was not the same goalie in Boston's first round exit this past season and some might even remember he wasn't very good in the early rounds the year they won the Cup...

Take care...

The hockey guru

14. maineblackbear

Thats fine....he doesnt have to agree with me. I'm a nobody by comparison to him. Thats fine.

But I would disagree. Thomas may not have been great in round 1, but he got better and better and better as the postseason went on. And as virtually everyone who has watched hockey for the last 50 years would attest, his playoff run was quite possibly the best postseason run that ANY goalie in history went on.

As far as the locker room garbage....blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. I'm not directing that at you personally. Thats directed for all of the out-of-towners who know NOTHING about the Bruins, but want to speculate about a guy who has strong political beliefs. He was NOT an issue in the locker room at all. He is, and has been, one of the most popular players on that team, among fans and among his own teammtes. His work ethic is second to none, and he comes to play every night.

In the areas that matter to teammates, he is VERY much liked and respected.

That said, I am more than happy to turn it over to Tuuka. He has paid his dues. He is quite possibly better than Thomas at this stage of the game as well. Get him in net and get the team used to playing in front of him for 55 games a season.

I love it. Cant wait to see him develop into one of the top 3 to 5 goalies in the NHL. It WILL happen. 102 games played in the NHL. 2.20 GAA and SA% .926. People dont realize that in 2009-10, he started 45 games and he was the best goalie in the NHL that season. His SA% that season was the 10th best single season SA% in league history. FWIW, Thomas has TWO of the top 5 single season SA%s in NHL history.

I'm done with my daily Bruins rant.

Later

15. rikster

Good rant...

Thomas and the Bruins were 1 penalty away from bowing out to the Bolts, that's how poorly he was playing...Fortunately for him and the team there were 0 penalties called in that game 7...

I wouldn't have given the Conn Smythe to Thomas that year, for me as a fan of the team that got beat by the Bruins it was all about Chara....

Wonder what you think about the Oilers Devan Dubnyk's new deal?,,,$3.5 per for 2 years and saying that he considers Rask and the $3.5 per the Bruins are paying as an equal comparison?...

Take care...

16. maineblackbear

It is what it is. Salaries are rising and guys who may not truly deserve such compensation, in comparison to other players, are going to start making good money.

As far as comparing Dubnyk and Rask on ice....it is no comparison at all. Dubnyks 2.67 or whatever GAA and .917 or so SA% dont compar to Rask. And the comparison is even more lopsided when you look at their entire careers. They are agood comparison as they have a similar number of games played. Rask crushes him in all facets.

That said, the Dubnyk and Pavelec contracts are just.....wow! They both have to have great agents. By comparison, the Bruins have Rask at an absolute STEAL! They wont be so lucky in another year or 2.

Later

17. Clint27

Clint27 MVP

There isn't a better goalie on the market, but do you want to tie up that much money and term in him for a boat load of prospects and picks?
    Its a tough market for him. Burke can't afford to blow it, and I don't think Florida can afford him.

18. rikster

If your Toronto, yes...

If your Florida, yes....

Teams like Chicago and Washington, maybe....

If your Columbus, bring New York into the picture and try to put together a 3 team deal...

Take care...

19. Sir Rodney

You do realize that's three missing apostrophes and three missing e's dont you? (

20. m_peroni

m_peroni Hall of Fame

You saying Florida can't afford Luongo?

They actually can, but it depends what makes it worth it to bring him back to Florida.

21. Clint27

Clint27 MVP

I was thinking in dollars and cents....I thought they had to spend a lot last year just to get to the cap floor....

22. m_peroni

m_peroni Hall of Fame

They did, but when the cap floor was in the mid $50M one year, or high $50M, the Panthers were close to it. The ownership group is filthy rich in Florida. The problem was Cohen and his infatuation with Keenan and Martin that led to years of wasted talent.