Eliminated Playoff Teams

Discussion in 'Hockey Talk' started by m_peroni, Apr 22, 2012.

1. m_peroni

m_peroni
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Fame

Definitely the thread that you don't want to participate too much in because if so then your team is part of the discussion.

So. We got the Wings, Sharks, Penguins, and the Canucks out of the playoffs. I think the Wings will look to make some drastic changes. The Sharks need to figure out what went wrong. The Penguins may want to add some stronger pieces in their bottom six, and possibly trade away the underperforming vets on D.....or at least one for that matter.

The Canucks will have the big decision to make this summer. Schneider, or Luongo? Obviously most people will say Luongo on the outs, but this is a topic that i believe people need to take their time to think about. Especially Nucks fans. I expect the quick reactions now are that Luongo should be traded, but it is much easier said than done. Let the disappointed sink in and then let it go. Afterwards, the mind will think a lot clearer.

2. Sir Rodney

Sir Rodney
    Expand Collapse
    NHL

Hi Mick,

Sorry I missed this thread. I didn't need to start a new one.

3. rikster

rikster
    Expand Collapse
    2nd Team All-Star

Yawn....

The further the Nucks move to becoming a "tougher, more playoff ready" team, the more boring it gets...

Notice anything about the 4 teams you listed?, they all play a more offensive style game and were taken out by dumb it down defensive systems, with the exception of Philly who just out gunned the Penguins...

Whatever happens in Vancouver, I hope they go back to being what the core of their team is built to be, a team that looks to outscore the opposition, rather than a team which is comfortable in 1 - 0 games...

Take care...

4. Die-hard

Die-hard
    Expand Collapse
    MVP

Hi Rikster,

I think it all depends on what the league decides they want on the ice - do they want hooking and holding, slow skating, big teams that play defensively and don't score goals? That's what's winning right now - as the Kings, Blues, Bruins and Preds are showing.

Or do they want up tempo scoring as it was the last few years?

Like you said - the Nucks tried to dumb it down a bit this year and as a result I think they lost their identity. They aren't built for that kind of game, they're built to outscore their opponents. They didn't try to do that this series, and as a result they are golfing early.

5. Sir Rodney

Sir Rodney
    Expand Collapse
    NHL

I think the NHL has already decided. Crash and bash sells. I have my doubts that the standard of officiating in the playoffs will change. Bruins' hockey won last year and the latest version of that standard will win this year as well. It does my heart good to see the diving and whining coming out of Boston. What goes around comes around.

6. m_peroni

m_peroni
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Fame

I am still baffled at how the Hawks lost the series against the Coyotes. They outplayed Phoenix every game. Difference? Crawford vs. Smith.

I was surprised to see the Hawks re-sign Emery, which means they are keeping the same tandem next season. I would have gone after Vokoun in the summer to back-up Crawford. Why? I am not sold on Crawford.

7. m_peroni

m_peroni
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Fame

Congrats Rangers. Stood tall on home ice to kick out the Sens!!!!

And for the Panthers :( man that was a sad way to end it. The Devils only played half a period the entire game and got three crappy goals. Elias, Kovalchuk, and Parise were terrible. The Panthers D kept them quiet.

Panthers really gave an awesome effort. What an awesome story this year. The building was full...it was the loudest ever. Obviously well over 95% were Panthers fans. I think they deserved to win the series with the way they played. But, you need luck. I think the Devils will get destroyed by the Flyers. They were very unimpressive and looked scared of losing in both OTs.

Congrats Panthers. You proved a lot of people wrong :) I am proud of you guys. Thanks for this great year and a wonderful experience for my first ever playoffs!!!!

8. m_peroni

m_peroni
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Fame

AV extended. I guess it had to be done. The guy did finish #1 in the West.

9. Sir Rodney

Sir Rodney
    Expand Collapse
    NHL

Hi Mick,

You would have thought that would have been widely endorsed in Vancouver but it hasn't been. Tony Gallagher in the Vancouver Province published this negative article in today's paper (May 25) which I'm inclined to take with a grain of salt. Gallagher never misses an opportunity to bash the Canucks and Vigneault in particular. He has led the charge of the critics who can't or won't let go on the Hodgson trade as well as his overall coaching style. Of all the local media, Gallagher and a radio sports talk hack, Dan Russell, are the two media types least welcome by the Canucks. Russell never forgave them for giving the play-by-play gig to John Shorthouse and Gallagher is holding a grudge from something that happened a few years ago. Ridiculous

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Alain+Vigneault+brash+style+could+split+Canucks+locker+room/6674406/story.html

10. m_peroni

m_peroni
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Fame

Only in Canada to idiot journalists still have jobs. So many childish, immature, moronic journalists up there.

I guess there are some negatives to keeping AV, but unless a young Scotty Bowman comes along then there is no reason to change him and know for sure that there is a better coach out there.

11. Sir Rodney

Sir Rodney
    Expand Collapse
    NHL

I think some of these morons pander to the twitter twits by throwing things out there that appeal to their sense that they know more about running a team than Gillis and company. This is the same group that went for years blaming Dan Cloutier for the goal he gave up to the Red Wings on a shot from center ice. Vancouver talk radio is a real joke. There are some fantastic bloggers but the contributors to a site like Canucks.com are pathetic. It's like keeping records of how many Twitter "followers" you may have. There the criteria seems to be how many threads can I create and say absolutely nothing worth while. What I don't understand is why any players would even bother reading any of that crap.

The basic premise that seems to be getting thrown around is that the change of coaches made a huge difference with Hitchcock in Nashville and of course, Sutter in LA. If it worked for them, the Canucks should follow the same path. Heck, I've even heard them advocating bringing Crawford back. Why stop there? Mike Keenan is available. Yeah, that would work.

Have a great weekend.

12. rikster

rikster
    Expand Collapse
    2nd Team All-Star

I think one of the problems in Vancouver is that most listeners of sports talk don't want to talk about anything other than the Nucks which forces the media to find something about the Canuks to write or talk about every day which leads to so much of the nonsense we listen or read about...

I also think the sports media should be circulated around the country to work other markets because they can get so stale writing about the same team year after year...

Send us some of the Toronto and Montreal media for a few years so we can get a fresh opinion from an outsider who can also put some perspective on things....

For our first transfer, lets do a one for one deal...Damion Cox for Jason Botchford...

Take care...

13. m_peroni

m_peroni
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Fame

The Rangers will look to add more punch to their line-up. I would ignore any news report suggesting that Parise is an option. Obviously he is an option for most of the 29 teams, but he just defeated the Rangers so why would he want to join them? Plus, haven't the Rangers learned anything from prying away Devils?

I think the Rangers will look to get Rick Nash. Obviously the obstacle is Craig Patrick who was the main reason as to why Rick did not get traded a few months ago. Patrick is so egoistic that he would take less in return for Nash than what the Rangers offer him. He did that with Jagr as well by wanting too much from the Rangers. Rangers refused, offered him a good package, and in the end he put himself ahead of the team and got squat from Washington.

Possible Rangers players in play for such a deal:

Dubinsky
    Del Zotto
    Anisimov
    Hagelin
    MacIlrath
    Stepan

With the potential shown by Chris Kreider, the Rangers would be more willing to part with those names.

Rangers management also made a huge mistake in not acquiring some defensive help at the deadline. You're not going to go to the Cup finals when playing five d-men. Some PP help is needed. A d-man with experience as well. Doesn't need to log many minutes, either. I was actually thinking of Sami Salo. Why not?

And don't laugh at this, but i think Biron may go elsewhere and if so then there is one goalie that i would like to see play for the Rangers. I think this goalie still has somewhat good potential and i like his size. I am of the belief that a goalie tandem of two different goalies benefits the team. Some teams struggle more against large size goalies. So, why not give this goalie a chance to play on a solid team, with an excellent defense in front of him as well? Jonas Gustavsson! He could learn from Lundqvist as well.

14. Die-hard

Die-hard
    Expand Collapse
    MVP

Sure - no morons in US journalism at all - your constant pot shots at Canada are stupid and immature Peroni.

15. m_peroni

m_peroni
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Fame

Did i say that there are no moronic US journalists? Can you please quote that?

It is true, though, that in Canada you have big name journalists that for some reason are still writing. Bruce Garrioch? Simmons?

16. Sir Rodney

Sir Rodney
    Expand Collapse
    NHL

"Only in Canada to idiot journalists still have jobs. So many childish, immature, moronic journalists up there."

I agree. You didn't say there weren't any moronic US journalists. I guess we can safely assume though that the ones you did have are all unemployed. That doesn't explain FOX News though. Maybe those are just the childish, immature ones.

17. rikster

rikster
    Expand Collapse
    2nd Team All-Star

I think Fox and CNN have the same challenges as do the sports media in Vancouver...

They have to find something to "out report" each other on 24/7 while as I said in my earlier post the sports media in Vancouver have to find something intelligent and entertaining about the Canucks to report 24/7...

Aint going to happen...

Take care...

18. m_peroni

m_peroni
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Fame

Now you are making this political too?

Ok, name American hockey journalists that are idiots.

19. Die-hard

Die-hard
    Expand Collapse
    MVP

Yes you did - maybe re-read your language. As Sir pointed out below, you said 'only in Canada' (and I quote). That means you're assuming the rest of the world is fine.

I didn't say there weren't moronic journalists in Canada, just that there are just as many if not more in the US. I know you don't like it when people say anything even slightly about the US and I'm not getting into a political conversation with you, just pointing out that you really need to stop sh*tting on Canada. You can't take it when people do that with your adopted country, and nobody in Canada likes it when you sh*t all over them either.

We already know that very few people on this baord agree with your politics, so let's leave the politics, the 'Canada does this' crap out of this - it's a hockey board. Let's leave it at that.

20. Die-hard

Die-hard
    Expand Collapse
    MVP

No, you're making this political. Knock it off.

21. maineblackbear

maineblackbear
    Expand Collapse
    1st Team All-Star

What Whining?

Better than diving whining Canuck hockey, right?

Boston didnt whine, BTW. Just like lasy season, Julien responded to Hunter whining.

And as usual, not a single Bruin playewr complained.

And after ths series, both Hunter and Julien expressed their respect for each other.

Later

22. maineblackbear

maineblackbear
    Expand Collapse
    1st Team All-Star

Bruins Slow???

Seguin is one of the top 10 fastest skaters in the game. Marchand is not far behind. Paille flies. Krecji, Peverley and Bergeron are all very good skaters. Lucic is a very good skater for a 6'5 man.

And hasnt Boston 2nd finished 2nd in the NHL in goal scoring in 2 of the last 3 seasons?

Later