For you m peroni..

Discussion in 'Hockey Talk' started by rikster, Jul 3, 2011.

1. rikster

rikster
    Expand Collapse
    2nd Team All-Star

Canucks are reacting to the smack down in Boston and the Oilers loading up on toughness by adding two big, strong, wingers for the 4th line....

And to make you happy, and forgive me if I've made a mistake but with the names Pinnizzotto and Mancari, and both being in the 6'3" and 225 lb. range, they should make your Italian heritage proud...

I liked Darcy Hordichuk as a Canuck, but where does this calling out the Nucks and promising to beat them up come from?....Especially considering the reason I liked him was not because he won most of his fights, in fact he didn't, but because he tried hard....

Interesting that last season and at the draft it was all about speed and more speed for Vancouver and this year its about size and toughness...

Thus far into the off season, I'd say the East got more skilled and the West got tougher...

Take care...

2. m_peroni

m_peroni
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Fame

I like tough guys, but adding them shouldn't be a big focus. They really just needed one guy to be rough out there.

I love Hordichuk, but the guy takes a lot of bad penalties at the wrong time as well.

3. maineblackbear

maineblackbear
    Expand Collapse
    1st Team All-Star

You`ll Like Mancari

I love the kid. I've spoken with him a number of times and he oozes character. Nice modest skill level....he can absolutely fire a slaphot! BIG body....about 6`3 1/2 between 225 and 230 lbs.

Great at parking himself in the slot and refusing to be moved out of the way. Will fight for position. Will finish all of his checks. Loved by the Pirate teammates.

HOWEVER....

There is a reason Buffalo didnt retain him. He IS one of those guys who just cant seem (for whatever reason) to be able to make the jump to full time NHL player.

Its not his skating which is pretty fluid for a guy his size. He doesn everything pretty well, but stands out at nothing.

I hope like heck he gets a legit shot at landing an NHL job in Vancouver. But my guess is that his time in Vancouver will be similar to his time in the Sabre organization...mainly in the AHL, but a consistent injury call-up, as he can fill any hole. He has even played on the blueline at times on an emergency basis for Portland, when their roster was decimated by blueline call-ups to Buffalo.

Bottom line is that got a great kid who will work his ass off...do any role/job that he is asked to do. You'll probably see 2 or 3 times a year in Vancouver.

Later

4. Die-hard1

Die-hard1
    Expand Collapse
    6th Round Pick

Re: You`ll Like Mancari

That's what he sounds like to me Jeff - a AAAA player (baseball term) who is great in the AHL but not that good in the NHL. The Nucks had one of those last year in Desbiens.

I'd love it if Mancari could be the 13th forward on the Nucks - big body, decent fighter, can play a bit. I really don't see him cracking the Nucks lineup given their 4th line will have one of Raymond, Higgins or Samuelsson on it (legit 30-50 point NHLers) along with Lapierre, and Mancari couldn't crack a B-Lo lineup that is dying for some size.

Still - a decent signing that will probably produce a few NHL games this year. I've already heard him interviewed and he seems like a very likeable guy.

5. rikster

rikster
    Expand Collapse
    2nd Team All-Star

Thanks Jeff, that's kinda the thinking in Vancouver as well...

As long as he is in the lineup when the Canucks meet the Bruins and in paticular Marchand ...

Take care...

6. rikster

rikster
    Expand Collapse
    2nd Team All-Star

I disagree with that 4th line Die Hard if for no other reason than too much salary tied up on a line that will be asked to give 5 to 10 minutes a game tops...

Let the top 3 lines and the power play provide offense, the 4th line needs to be a statement line that can also react to the oppositions physical play...

Buffalo finished the season 9th in goals scored, and were a bigger team on the back end than Vancouver, and has had 3 goals in 36 NHL games which match's the goal total for Tanner Glass who got his 3 goals in 73 games...

Speaking of Glass, he disappeared physically in the playoffs last season, something I don't think Mancari would do...

I'll be surprised if Raymond finishes the year in Vancouver....What does he provide that any of Sweatt, Schroeder or Rodin can't provide on the second line? I've picked these players because like Raymond they are all smaller, skilled, very fast players, the difference being they have better pedigrees prior to turning pro...

One of the new prospects I'm interested in is Darren Archibald who is a big power forward who in 3 seasons in the OHL has 19 goals and 31 points in 35 playoff games...

At the end of the day, and if all they get is 5 minutes per game, I'd like to see the Canucks go with an all beef line with the likes of Oreskovich, Mancari, and Lapierre....

Take care...

7. Die-hard1

Die-hard1
    Expand Collapse
    6th Round Pick

That could happen Rikster, but Gillis would need to move one of Raymond or Sammy in a trade. I really like Raymond's versatility, he's great on the PK and his speed is very good for backing up a defense, but he can be replaced by Hansen. Sammy is a gritty two-way forward that scores big goals - he was sorely missed last year and the Nucks should keep him.

I think Gillis will package one of Raymond/Hansen and some youth for an upgrade on the top two lines - somebody along the lines of a Troy Brouwer, who is no longer available given he was just traded. I think Oreskovich makes the 4th line, and Lappy is the anchor there - the last forward is undecided, and Mancari is likely the 13th guy who will play when needed.

1st line: Daniel-Henrik-Burrows
    2nd line: Raymond-Kesler-Sammy
    3rd line: Sturm-Manny-Hansen
    4th line: Higgins-Lapierre-Oreskovich

That's an as is lineup. It will change, I agree with you that Gillis won't want a guy like Higgins on the 4th line as it doesn't serve the purpose the 4th line is there for.

There's still lots of time left to make changes to the lineup, and the Nucks have about $3.5 to $4 million of room to add salaries.
    This post was edited on 7/5 12:48 PM by Die-hard1

8. Sir Rodney

Sir Rodney
    Expand Collapse
    NHL

When you see that second line, the need for an upgrade really jumps at you. I get the impression that the only thing holding up a Raymond trade is his injury status. I am just not sold on either of those wingers striking any fear into the opposition. Where we could get a huge bonus with our current lineup is if Sturm is healthy enough to play on the second line, dropping Samuelsson to the third. I would rather have a Kesler-Higgins-Sturm combination barring the hoped for power forward trade. Heck, if Sturm is healthy enough, I'd even try him with the twins and move Burrows to the second. That would be a huge bonus but I'm not holding my breath on that happening.

9. Die-hard1

Die-hard1
    Expand Collapse
    6th Round Pick

Hi Sir,

While I'd love a big forward to play on the 2nd line, I'm just fine with a smaller guy who will go to the net. Think Kris Versteeg, Brad Marchand, etc - a guy with a ton of heart is all that's realy needed.

I actually don't think that 2nd line is too bad either - Raymond is the guy who makes or breaks it. Sammy is good for 50 points, Kes for 70-75 so if Raymond can get 50 as well that's a solid scoring line. He's done it before and he's still quite young so he could do it again.

Personally though, I'd rather not have to rely on Mason, especially coming off a broken back. I'd like to see Gillis pick up one more solid winger to complete the team, and hopefully leave some cap space to add at the deadline. I'm not sure who that would be, but Gillis himself mentioned they are looking for another forward so we'll see what he comes up with.

10. maineblackbear

maineblackbear
    Expand Collapse
    1st Team All-Star

I'm A Sturm Fan

I love Marco and I hope he can have a healthy season.

Problem is that his knees are obliterated. I will be absolutely shocked if he plays 50 games.

I hope I am wrong, because I think he was a very underrated 2 way forward. Hopefully he can regain health recapture a good chunk of his form.

Later

11. Sir Rodney

Sir Rodney
    Expand Collapse
    NHL

Hi D-H,

The more we stay with what we had last year, the more we start taking a step backwards. We keep hearing about what a small window of opportunity we have and I think we should be doing something bold to take advantage of that situation. We can attribute our lack of success in the finals to injuries, exhaustion, the refs (thanks for the input of Sturm Jeff) but as it stands now, the team isn't as strong as it was. We haven't replaced Erhoff in the top four on D, we lost Torres' grit from the third line and two of the players you've projected as getting 50 points each on the second line are coming off of serious injuries. I don't share your optimism for either Sammy or Raymond coming close to those numbers. If we are going to move ahead, neither of those two should be on the second line.

Right now I see us as having four players that can truly be considered as part of the top two lines. Kesler, Burrows and a couple of guys from Sweden. After that it's cross your fingers and hope.

So much has been made of Gillis' lack of activity in the free agent market. That was never the place where he was going to set out to strengthen the team. He has said numerous times that he wasn't going to overpay with either salary or term for any "good" but not "great" players. He has indicated he will be active in the trade market to get the players we all agree he needs. Remember last year when the trading Bieksa rumors were running rampant? So much of that was based on the Canucks having to get below the Cap and the easy fix was to trade an expensive player for Cap relief. As the season went on, Gilman's expertise made that unnecessary. When you consider how much Cap space we have as a starting point, I don't see that limited number as being the determining factor on what moves Gillis can or will make. In a trade, salary comes in but with the right trading chips, salary also goes out. I see the lack of free agent signings as beneficial for what will be coming next.

12. Die-hard1

Die-hard1
    Expand Collapse
    6th Round Pick

I have seen a lot of Nuck fans say the same thing - that the team isn't as strong as it was last year - and I'm going to disagree.

Last year there was no Sammy for most of the year as he was playing through injury (wasn't himself), Higgins only played 10 games at the end of the season before the playoffs, and Lappy was only around 20. Remember, for much of the season last year guys like Desbiens, Tambellini and Bolduc played large roles. Manny was a shadow of himself in the finals - in hindsight he probably shouldn't have played.

Ehrhoff's minutes will be tough to replace but the Nucks still have very good depth on D, especially when you consider Ballard will almost cetainly be better this year. Tanev was a revelation - I really like the way this kid plays - and Hamhuis/Bieksa/Edler/Salo is a good top 4. Alberts and Rome are back as depth guys who can play #5/#6 minutes if injuries hit. Overall very good depth, and the forwards are much better to start this season than they were last year. I'm all for spending more money up front, taking Ehrhoff's money and putting it into another forward, because that's where it is needed more.

One big question mark as forward is Hodgson - will he be better with a year's experience and a full summer to train, for the first time in over 2 years? I think he will be - hopefully he makes the team as it pushes everyone down the depth chart a little bit further.

I was all for getting rid of Torres - he throws the odd big hit but he seems to do it at the wrong time, which gets the other team fired up. He can pot the odd goal as well, but that's easily replaced. I liked Raffi's game once in a while, but he's very streaky and just couldn't be counted on for more than 20 or 25 good games a season.

I believe Sammy on the 2nd line is more than adequate, I'd actually like him there as long as he's fully recovered. Raymond I'm not so sure about, he seems like more of a 3rd line, 20 goal guy - similar to Sturm who says his knees are better now than they've been in years. We'll see on that - but if/when both guys are healthy that's good depth. The other thing nobody seems to mention about Sturm is he's very, very good defensively - that will help out Manny and Jannik on the 3rd line a lot, make them a true checking line that can still pot the odd goal.

Still need that one more forward though, I agree - I have faith in Gillis, he's done nothing but make the team better every year so he'll do it again.
    This post was edited on 7/6 4:47 AM by Die-hard1

13. rikster

rikster
    Expand Collapse
    2nd Team All-Star

Tampa...

The attention is on the Stamkos situation, but if you look at next year they have just 9 players under contract for $30 million and have a number of high quality RFA's to re sign including Hedman...They don't have a goalie signed into next season...

They have been a low revenue team and I can't imagine their internal cap matches the leagues salary cap ceiling so they are in alot of do doo and are a prime target for making a trade similar to the San Jose / Vancouver deal that brought Ehroff to the Nucks after San Jose traded for Heatley....

There are a number of teams in similar situations, and with the Canucks having a number of good value contracts and a good prospect pool, they are in a good position to take advantage of those situations...

And I don't think it needs to get done by opening day, it could drag on as long as the Christmas freeze...

It's why there was no need to panic on July 1st, let the teams inflate their payrolls and then go looking for those teams that are in desperate need of a garage sale to offload salary.....

Take care...

14. Die-hard1

Die-hard1
    Expand Collapse
    6th Round Pick

Re: Tampa...

Agreed - look at what the historically smart teams did on July 1st - almost nothing. Wings, Canucks, Sharks, Hawks, Devils - almost all of them completely stayed out of the FA bidding or signed short term, low money deals.

There was no reason to spend stupid money, and teams will regret it in the future. I have no idea how the Rangers always seem to think the next big signing is the right one - they obviously haven't learned from Theo Fleury, Drury, Gomez, Holik, etc, etc, etc.

15. Sir Rodney

Sir Rodney
    Expand Collapse
    NHL

I See Where You Are Coming From

Hi D-H,

The point I've been making is that all of the players you mentioned were on the team last year, granted not all in the best of shape but there's no guarantee injuries won't play a role again this season. I just don't see how a team which has basically subtracted can be considered stronger than one that didn't win it all.

16. m_peroni

m_peroni
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Fame

Umm... Hawks? Campbell...Hossa....

Wings already had a strong core.

Canucks did things via trade but already had the Twins.

Devils had great drafts, never needed to sign free agents.

Rangers have a bad record with free agents, sure, but i think that Richards is the number one center, bonafide, and proven, to carry this team. You're not going to get far without a first line center and the Rangers have the strong young core, especially on D, but no first line center and they did a bad mistake thinking that Gomez and Drury were one-two punch line centers.

Yet, the Gomez deal was completely worth it seeing that it brought two young studs in McDonagh and Valentenko.

The Rangers wanted to get Richards via trade, and Joey asked for way too much. Richards already knew he was going to be a Ranger, and he took less money to be one as well. Quite different than Gomez, Drury, and Holik who wanted to be Rangers, but took more money to be Rangers.

If Richards had been acquired via trade, and then re-signed, you would have posted that.

17. m_peroni

m_peroni
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Fame

The Bolts have Roloson signed for next season, and Garon. And, they are at the cap floor especially once Purcell gets his arbitration reward.

18. m_peroni

m_peroni
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Fame

Re: I See Where You Are Coming From

I agree, in theory, but there is also this other theory.

Experience.

The Canucks are a bit thinner in depth, i agree, but the Sedins, Kessler, Luongo, Bieksa, and others...they learned a lot from the Cup Finals. They are emotionally tore, and it is possible that they may not even finish #1 in the league, or in the West, but they can have a huge post-season based on their experience, maturity, and desire to win it after failing to do so.

We'll see. Besides, i think Gillis can easily add strong depth at any time with this team by playing Schneider card.

19. rikster

rikster
    Expand Collapse
    2nd Team All-Star

Rolson signed a 1 year contract for the upcoming season, they are without a goalie for the season after this one which is the focus of my comments...

With $30 million tied up in just 9 players, they will have some very serious financial challenges filling out their roster for the 2012/2013 season....

Take care...

20. Die-hard1

Die-hard1
    Expand Collapse
    6th Round Pick

Re: I See Where You Are Coming From

Hi Sir,

The team was a coinflip away from winning it all - 1 game is the difference.

There's a reason the Nucks are already the odds on favourite to win it all this season.

21. Die-hard1

Die-hard1
    Expand Collapse
    6th Round Pick

Hawks, Wings, etc didn't sign any major free agents, I didn't say they did nothing. They just didn't overpay anybody, preferred smaller signings and trades.

The Gomez deal in hindsight worked out - because Slats found a GM even dumber than him to take that contract. The Drury deal, the Holik deal, the Fleury deal, etc - all were terrible contracts that did nothing for the Rangers.

I'm not saying Richards is going to flame out for sure, but 31 year olds with a history of concussions aren't great bets. Great to hear he took less money, but people are saying that like he took a big discount - he's still getting a massive amount up front and a huge contract.

In the past the Rangers overpaid everybody - they were one of 3 or 4 teams who could because the Canadian economy was crap through most of the 90's. Now the 7 Canadian teams are all top 10 in revenue or very close to it - makes a huge difference. The Rangers have to compete like everybody else did.

There's a reason the team that has historically had the highest payroll in the league over the past 20 years is stuck in neutral - they have a bad GM who made his name in Edmonton and has done nothing since. I like a lot of their young players now, hopefully Slats doesn't sign a bunch of overpaid guys, forcing him to trade his youth.
    This post was edited on 7/6 9:03 AM by Die-hard1

22. m_peroni

m_peroni
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Fame

They can always trade, and i am sure they have youngsters to use for the bottom three lines costing under $1M per player.

I wouldn't worry.

23. m_peroni

m_peroni
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Fame

How can you say the Hawks did not sign any major free agents? Hossa and Campbell were huge signings. They signed Huet as well to a large contract, then had to demote him. Come on...they spent and arguably overpaid, but in free agent markets you always overpay anyway.

Fleury was years ago in the late 90's....who cares.

Agreed on Holik deal. Drury...vastly overpaid but injuries did not help and he definitely helped the Rangers make the playoffs.

Richards is highly paid, but aren't point-a-game players making that kind of money anyway? The way it is structured is no one's business but the Rangers'. It's their money and they are paying Richards a lot of money in his productive years and a lot less in the final years of his career. Makes sense to me.

Times have changed, the Rangers past is both beautiful and ugly. They missed the playoffs only once since the lockout. They are building through drafts, and doing a pretty good job at it too. With that, though, they need star talent. It's not like they are building a free agent team as they used to years ago.

From draft and coming up through their system:

Zuccarello
    Stepan
    Callahan
    Dubinsky
    Anisimov
    Staal
    Girardi
    McDonagh
    Del Zotto
    Sauer
    Lundqvist

RIP Cherepanov, i think you would have been on the roster by now.

But, that is 11 roster players on the team that came up through the Rangers system. I don't recall the last time the Rangers had that many.

So, when you have such a foundation of good, talented young depth, but you lack a proven goal scorer, and you lack a true first line center, and you also have one of the league's best goalies? You go for glory rather than play scared because of past bad experiences.
    This post was edited on 7/6 9:33 AM by m_peroni

24. Die-hard1

Die-hard1
    Expand Collapse
    6th Round Pick

This off-season Peroni, I'm talking about this off-season - I'm not talking about 2, 3 or 4 years ago. The Hawks, Wings, Canucks, etc realized that the prices were out of this world so they didn't sign anybody major - smart thinking in my opinion.

I think the Rangers had to go for Richards, they needed a first line center and anybody who can score. They haven't missed the playoffs much lately, true, but they sure aren't getting anywhere once they get there.

We'll see what happens - I still don't think they're much better with Richards, unless he stays healthy the whole year. They still have a few guys to sign so things could change with them, they may have to offload a player or two to stay under the cap. I'm not a huge fan of a defense that young either - every guy on the backend is very young. Great for the future, but they could really use a veteran presence or two - maybe a guy like Rivet would be a good signing?

25. Die-hard1

Die-hard1
    Expand Collapse
    6th Round Pick

St. Louis?

Looks like they just signed Arnott and Langenbrunner, now have 15 forwards under contract. I'm assuming they'll have to get rid of somebody as you can't play 15 forwards on a roster, and they have a few players the Nucks would covet - maybe Oshie?

Washington is also well over the cap and likely going to get rid of a forward or two - I'm sure Gillis is speaking with both teams trying to get another forward for the team.

26. Sir Rodney

Sir Rodney
    Expand Collapse
    NHL

Just a Tad Optimistic

Whoa, odds on favorites? We are waaaaaaaaay too early in the off season readjustments to start laying odds for winning it all. I like the point Mick made about the experience factor weighing heavily in their favor but it will take some shoring up in key areas before I will go with that kind of optimism. We could see a changing of the guard in the top eight in the west this year. It used to be that it was quite easy to predict who the ins and outs would be but that is no longer the case.

27. maineblackbear

maineblackbear
    Expand Collapse
    1st Team All-Star

Thats The Method Behind Chiarellis Madness

Experience.

Add 1 or 2 youthful pieces.

Bring in a vet who can potentially fill your biggest hole.

Save your cap space for whatever deadline holes you need to fill.

The Bruins will have 15.9 mil in space, assuming that Savard hangs them up, which is what is anticipated.

Approx 2 mil will go to Marchand, unless they tie him up for 4 to 5 years. Seguins cap hit will jump up about 2.6, due to this being the last year of the current CBA. Only major questions are does he extend Rask and Krejci now, or at this time next season? Doubtful its now.

That said, the Bruins will have around 11+ to work with during the season if any major holes arise.

Later

28. Die-hard1

Die-hard1
    Expand Collapse
    6th Round Pick

Re: Just a Tad Optimistic

I didn't make the odds - check any betting site and the Nucks are the favourites to win it all next year. I think they are at 5-1, and the next closest is 11-1 (Boston) the last time I checked.

I think the top of the western conference is tougher for next season, but teams like Dallas, Minny, Calgary, Nashville, etc are worse than they were last season.

Given what's happened so far and the fact the Nucks still have plenty of assets and cap space to improve the team, I see them as a heavy favourite to win the Northwest division, which may be the worst division in the league next year.

29. m_peroni

m_peroni
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Fame

They couldn't sign anybody major because they didn't have the cap space...

It is projected that if the Rangers sign their RFA to more than fair contracts then they will have $2M in cap space, so i am not worried about that.

I too think the defense is young and the third pair could use a veteran. Rivet has really fallen hard. McCabe isn't ruled out yet, but i think he will retire, and there are a couple of other cheap veteran d-men that can be very good defensively, like Skrastins. We'll see. That young D was still very good in the NHL this past season.

30. m_peroni

m_peroni
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Fame

Re: St. Louis?

I see that they have 13 forwards under contract on Capgeek. They just re-signed Oshie, so i don't think he will be dealt that easily.

Washington will most likely deal Knuble to a team that needs to add cap, shouldn't be hard, and maybe Chimera as well. Poti would be ideal, but it's tough to see a team take him on as he has two more years.

Maybe Wideman will be shipped off again now that they got Hamrlik.

31. Die-hard1

Die-hard1
    Expand Collapse
    6th Round Pick

Re: Thats The Method Behind Chiarellis Madness

Yep - that's what the smart teams are doing. The big thing that fans don't seem to realize is the cap is ther every year - you can't sign guys to huge deals and then not be able to re-sign your own players once their deals are up.

The 5, 7 and 10 year deals will do exactly that - you won't be able to re-sign your young players when they require new contracts. Teams that do long-term deals year after year (Philly, Rangers, etc) will either have to eat them in the minors (Redden) or find some sucker even dumber than them to take that contract. It's happened up to now but it will end at some point.

I'm wondering if a lot of these signings were a wink-wink type of deal with Bettman - now he can go to the NHLPA in the summer and say they need a new deal in place as teams are losing millions. Given Bettman's track record it wouldn't surprise me.

32. m_peroni

m_peroni
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Fame

True, you have to be careful in how much you spend, but i think teams can have three players making between $6M to $7M per season. That's how many the Rangers have.

Good teams will evidently lose their good players to keep their better players, but the good players would also be traded for future assets as well.

33. Sir Rodney

Sir Rodney
    Expand Collapse
    NHL

The Canucks have just two like your example but they are fortunate in terms of the number of players signed just below that threshold. It helps when players are prepared to accept the proverbial home town discount. When you consider how much Erhoff got as a free agent, you have to think that Bieksa would have gotten if he had hit the open market. The twins, Burrows, Kesler, Hamhuis (he took less to come to Vancouver last Summer) and now Bieksa have all done that over the past three years. That depth has been a huge advantage for them. They don't even face that situation for another two years when Edler's contract expires.

I will give Burke credit in Toronto for understanding where this is heading. His philosophy in terms of size and term of free agent contracts is refreshing. Those GMs looking for the quick free agent fix with bloated long term contracts are really saddling their successors with a huge problem.

34. maineblackbear

maineblackbear
    Expand Collapse
    1st Team All-Star

Even Kaberles 3 Years Was Too Much

Yor right about longer term deals. There is too much incertainty about REAL on-ice production with all but the absolute elite players. Tying about guys other than the elite will come back and bite you in the ass more times than not. Hell, a case could be made that the elite players deals screw you even more, as it can affect the quality of your depth.

Even giving 3 years to Kaberle was enough to give Chiarelli pause.

At his presser the other day, he said that Kaberle was gracious and classy enough to call him personally and ask if he would match Carolinas offer. Kabs did want to stay in Boston. Chiarellio said that he told Kaberle that the 4.25 mil annual salary was not an issue, but that the 3 year term was. He said he told Kaberle that he would agree on the spot if it were 2 yrs 8.5 total. Kabs wanted, reasonably, the security of the 3rd year of the term...which Chiarelli said he thought was what Kaberle should have done.

Fortunately, Chiarelli said that Kaberles signing with Carolina, opened the door for Corvo to be moved...and for 1 year and 2.25 spent, it was a no-brainer for the Bruins GM.

Its tough, especially when you consider that the cap will likely drop 4 to 5 mil with the new CBA.

And as far as the Kabs trade from Toronto is concerned...I guess it shakes out, in a wierdly distorted way to look like this:

Boston trades: Colbourne, 1st, 2nd, 4th
    Boston recieves: Kaberle, Corvo

Later

35. maineblackbear

maineblackbear
    Expand Collapse
    1st Team All-Star

Bruin Top Salaries

Bruins have a number of those deals that are a bit under the 6-7 mil deals.

Chara- 6.9
    Bergeron- 5.0
    Thomas- 5.0
    Lucic- 4.08
    Savard- 4
    Horton- 4
    Krejci- 3.75
    Seguin- 3.55
    Seidenberg- 3.25

The only other guys above 2 mil are Kelly, Ference and Corvo.

Later

36. Die-hard1

Die-hard1
    Expand Collapse
    6th Round Pick

Re: Bruin Top Salaries

I actually read a quote by Jim Rutherford, who said Corvo had requested a trade. Once he got that request, he then went out and signed Kaberle. Makes more sense when you look at it that way.

The Bruins should be fine for a couple of years anyway - once they have to replace Chara and Thomas, which will happen sooner given their respective ages, then it's time for Chiarelli to earn his money. It will depend on who is available and how much they cost, but they will still have a bunch of good young players at that point.

Of course, all of this could change if there's yet another strike after next season - I can't see how they can avoid it, the players have won yet another round of CBA negotiations. They seem to win every single time.

37. m_peroni

m_peroni
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Fame

Funny circle.

The Canucks traded former 6th rounder (from Panthers) Shirokov to the Panthers for Duco.

You're going to love Duco. He is a little pest, tough as hard steel, heart and soul guy. I am not sure if he is NHL material, i guess he is kinda Hollweg-like, but not bad at all. You'd want to see more of him, but you know he shouldn't play more than five minutes a game.

Also, the Panthers traded Kendall McArdle to the Jets for Angelo Esposito. Good trade for both sides. McArdle did not work out and he is really a fourth... third line player at best. Angelo Esposito carries a lot of skill, but still does not have the mentality to step up in the NHL.