I Have To Say This...

Discussion in 'Hockey Talk' started by maineblackbear, Jun 13, 2011.

1. maineblackbear

maineblackbear 1st Team All-Star

I have to say....I am a bit surprised that nobody from Vancouver had anything negative to say about Roberto Luongo running his mouth about Thomas...

And yet all I heard was that was Bergeron being a baby for answering a question from the media regarding the bite that never received the proper league response.

And yet I read how Boston got away with too many men....and incidentally heard NOTHING about Vancouver having 7 men on the ice, and not getting called for it. Seems to me that BOTH teams got away with too many men calls.

But hey...its the Bruins. They get all calls and non-calls. At least thats what you would believe after coming here after a game.

Later
    This post was edited on 6/13 3:30 AM by maineblackbear

2. Connecticut

Connecticut 1st Round Pick

Jeff your points are so absurd you sound like a Canucks fan!

Roberto Luongo was not running his mouth about Thomas. You're buying in to hack media stories from guys who know nothing about the sport and are stuck making up "human interest" stories from scratch. It's literally like 12 year old girls running back and forth between the locker rooms trying to get each team to comment on the other team's most recent reaction to a media-generated controversy.

Luongo was asked about Lapierre's goal -- what do they want him to say? They complain when guys just respond with cliches like -- Thomas played great we were lucky to get one by him. So he responds honestly -- he said (I assume you heard the whole quote) that it's an easy save for him because he stays in the blue paint -- there's some saves that TT makes than he doesn't and vice versa and that was one that Thomas got burned on because of his style. That's not a burn, that's a frank (and accurate analysis). What else do you want?

And all you heard was Bergeron being a baby for answering a question from the media? First of all, he was showing it all over to the refs and his team mates long before the media looked at it. Credit to him (and the rest of the Bruins starting with Julien) for dropping it as soon as it was over.

Boston getting away with too many men was not the complaint -- the problem was that in a similarly played game Boston got 4 straight PPs. Vancouver seemed to be getting called on every borderline thing, and Boston was getting away with stuff, including too many men. Having said that, 4 PPs in a row is sometimes the way it goes, fans will get frustrated and see bias, but they're just nervous because it's a big game. The reffing sucked in my eyes, but who knows if I would have felt that way if I was a Columbus fan. The truth is, those penalties probably hurt the Bruins as much as they hurt the Canucks since neither team really got their rhythm going as a result.

More to say about Game 6 but I'll save it for when I have time for the other thread.

3. maineblackbear

What He Could Have Done Was This...

Shut his mouth.

If he wanted to comment on Thomas, there was no need to say, "Thats an easy save if your crease and not all over the place." I am paraphrasing, but thats what he said. But he was talking about Thjomas playing out of his crease...which is something Vancouver has complained about all series...both in the media and to the league offices.

And then he further whined that Thomas has not genuflected to him regarding his performance. What was it he said? He hasnt said a nice thing about me all series.

Guess what? Thomas didnt say ANYTHING, good or bad about him. As Thomas DID say after being told of Luongo's comments, "I didnt know it was my job to build him up."

Luongo could have shut his mouth and talked about how well he played. because he did play well.

Later

4. Die-hard

Die-hard MVP

Re: What He Could Have Done Was This...

No, that's not what Lu said, that's what his partial comment said. The Media didn't report the whole comment, just one snippet of it - and everybody is all over him for it.

Of course, Tim Thomas is a god in the eyes of the media, and Lu is Satan, so that's the real reason here.

Thomas hasn't given Lu credit one damn time for playing well - he just keeps saying 'we're not making it hard enough on Luongo'. Of course, being a Bruin, it's not taken as an insult to Lu (even though it's just as much an insult as what Lu said about him) because he's a Bruin!

I really can't wait for this series to be over, because the media has made it into a circus.
    This post was edited on 6/13 7:38 AM by Die-hard

5. Connecticut

Connecticut 1st Round Pick

Re: What He Could Have Done Was This...

This is textbook. You see it your way, I see it my way. My big issue is that we're talking about it all, it's a media fabricated non-story.

If he shouldn't have said anything about it, then why ask him in the first place? He didn't offer the opinion unsolicited. You're also continually neglecting to mention that in the same quote he says that Thomas style will lead him to make some saves that Luongo doesn't. That's not a dig, it's just that his style cost him that goal -- it may very well have saved him several others.

Second, the "pump his tires" comment you're also taking out of context. Following up on the initial non-story with Luongo, he explained his comments by saying that he's been saying good things about Thomas all series long, and now one "perceived" slight and it's a s**tstorm. He's not expecting or demanding for Thomas to praise him. Thomas' response makes sense, but only in the high school gossip mill sense that reporters are scurrying back and forth between locker rooms, asking Thomas what he thinks about what Luongo just said.

Just do your f$#%ing job and write about hockey, stop making up BS stories that have nothing to do with the game. You'll certainly agree if you saw Bergeron's press conference (with the yellow crocs) where he had to repeat over and over again that he was done talking about the biting and the reporters just kept asking him about it. They're useless maggots who don't know a thing about the game on the ice, so they insist on making it into an E! style story.

I suggest you don't put much stock into it.

Just wanted to add this quote from Botchford today, think it sums things up pretty nicely -- note the Greg Campbell quote at the end:
    ------
    There have been two transgressions in the Stanley Cup final worth discussing for more than five minutes. There was Aaron Rome’s late hit, which the NHL said would have been clean if landed a split second earlier. And there was the bite, which may have bruised a finger.

The rest is mostly torque to keep the Canucks-as-villain motor running. A lot seems to work as fuel, too. Even Luongo’s mundane comment about how he could have made the save on Game 5’s winning goal has had legs for two days. There wasn’t a scrum in the Boston locker-room Sunday in which a player wasn’t pressed for comment about Luongo’s supposed foul.

Gregory Campbell nailed it when he said Luongo never meant it the way it was presented. But who cares? There’s a narrative to keep alive.

It’s a disingenuous one, too, when you consider the Bruins have matched the Canucks taunt-for-taunt, and far outpaced them on the post-whistle, slash track. The Canucks definitely lead the series in embellishments, no question. But is diving worse than two-handed slashes? Depends who you ask.

Unfortunately, the side show has enveloped the series. Instead of their moribund power play, the Canucks were, again, pressed to the wall Sunday for reaction to being “hated.”

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Most+hated+team+cares+long+Canucks/4934768/story.html#ixzz1PAYJ7NSg
    This post was edited on 6/13 8:14 AM by Connecticut

6. Sir Rodney

No You Didn't!

I'm disappointed Jeff. You had started a great post about getting back to talking hockey and then you jump back in to the he said, no he said stuff which none of us will ever agree upon.

Why bother?

7. rikster

rikster 2nd Team All-Star

You have to be a member of the media...

The Bruins have to be loving the way the media have covered the series...

All the talk has been about the Canucks being nothing more than a collection of divers and cheats...

Meanwhile the Bruins have been allowed to whack and hack and basically take the game back to pre lockout right before their eyes...

The focus has been so much about the Nucks diving and head snapping that a long serving ref, now retired comes out and admits that because of their reputation, the Canucks will not get a call...

Still the media ignore the fact that the games will not be evenly called, ignoring that Walkun was the head official during the Augergate affair...

Add another to the conspiracy theory...Jacobs, Campbell, and Walkum...the 3 headed monsters..

Jeff, you couldn't have asked for a better perfect storm and yet you still aren't satisfied...

Give credit to some media, Dowbiggen in the Globe and Mail has picked up on the story, but they are few and far between...

The Bruins have played the media like a bunch of pansies...

Take care...

8. maineblackbear

Re: You have to be a member of the media...

If it walks like a duck....looks like a duck....chances are it IS a duck.

So, if the Bruins are playing the media....then who is getting all the players around the NHL to tweet and talk about it? The Bruins? Are they leading a conspiracy against the Nucks?

Fact is that many players view the Canucks as whiney, arrogant divers who complain when someone hits them in the mouth.

Later

Not my view....it appears to be the view of the NHL at large.

Later

9. Original Beast

Original Beast 2nd Team All-Star

Re: You have to be a member of the media...

Fact is that many players view the Canucks as whiney, arrogant divers who complain when someone hits them in the mouth. - Jeff

ok, that's not a FACT: (it's YOUR completely biased estimation at best)

here are facts: =0)

- Van is up 3-2
    - both teams have won their home games
    - Tonite is game 6.

LOL