Kypreos and Doug McLean criticize US

Discussion in 'Hockey Talk' started by m_peroni, Jan 13, 2012.

1. m_peroni

m_peroni
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Fame

Watching the Rangers game last night against the Sens, i had the Sportsnet feed on. During the intermission, the panel plays a clip of 79 year old Stan Fischler making the point of how silly it was for Sens fans to vote in Alfredsson for the All-Star game just because he is the captain of the squad. Quite frankly, i agree. I think fans that voted for Alfy and even Leafs fans for giving a ridiculous amount of votes for Reimer makes it silly.

Kypreos questioned why a journalist should even make such criticisms (as if the Sens and the fans don't get any criticism by Toronto fans and the media, even?) But, later on Kypreos slammed not Fischler, but the US by ranting on how seven Canadian teams are keeping the NHL alive, financially, and such and such, and to help the US give a "crap" about hockey.

Doug MacLean on the other hand just ridiculed, and i have no idea what this has anything to do with hockey, how the US brings sports into the mix of presidential elections, citing the last Bush election.

What kind of garbage is this? These two should be ashamed. Kypreos and MacLean received paychecks from US owners. MacLean for the most part of his managerial career. And they have the lack of decency to slam the US in such a matter?

Hey Kypreos, how about the fact that in the mid 90s the NHL had to create a supplemental currency equalization plan to SAVE your Canadian teams? Obviously not Toronto and Montreal, but without that the US currency and US teams would have stomped over your Canadian teams.

And Dougie.......maybe you should shut up about politics and sports as PM Harper and the Flames made headlines even in the US.

Here is a fat middle finger to you two failed has beens!
    This post was edited on 1/13 8:07 AM by m_peroni

2. rikster

rikster
    Expand Collapse
    2nd Team All-Star

I wouldn't get overly worked up about it, Kypreos in particular is interviewing to be Don Cherry's replacement with some of the over the top comments he regularly makes...

I'm surprised McLean didn't take Kypreos to task, he often does...

I don't know why anybody would want to get worked up over all star selections, its a fans game and let them pick who they want...

More frustrating for me is listening to the NHL show on xm satellite and their picks for the year end hardware....Almost always players from Eastern based clubs, not sure why they just don't admit that they don't watch Western teams unless they are on a road trip thru the East...

Take care...

3. Die-hard

Die-hard
    Expand Collapse
    MVP

I'm not sure why this struck such a nerve with you - I remember well how all the US teams in the 90's talked about how they were the sugar daddies saving the Canadian teams - they don't seem to like it when the shoe is on the other foot.

Keep in mind that without Canada the NHL wouldn't exist - more than 50% of the players in the league are from up here, and many of the US based fans are transplanted Canadians. There are almost 10 million of us in the US after all.

Kypreos is decent at breaking trades, etc - but he's a huge NHLPA supporter and always sides with the players on everything. MacLean's a bit of a sideshow, he has some pretty odd information at times but is entertaining. I wouldn't worry about what either of these guys think.

4. m_peroni

m_peroni
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Fame

I just found it disrespectful with the way they said it.

5. rikster

rikster
    Expand Collapse
    2nd Team All-Star

Talk about disrespectful...

I made the mistake of taking in the Canucks vs the Ducks the other night, what a disappointment!

Funny how Kesler took offense to being singled out after the game for his poor performance, a number of us at the game thought he was one of the worst players on the ice which is bad enough but to be one of the worst while being a puck hog just plain stinks....

Will be interesting to see how AV handles this years trade deadline, I'm almost of the opinion that it's time to shake things up in the lockeroom and make a move involving one of the core guys...

Take care..

6. Die-hard

Die-hard
    Expand Collapse
    MVP

Re: Talk about disrespectful...

I think they are going through the motions Rikster - they played like crap to start the year, then decided to get off their butts for a couple of months and vaulted to the top of the NHL. They've played .500 hockey since they got there, which is good enough.

Let's face it, the team is good and they know it. They are going to make the playoffs and they are going to be one of the top seeds. They'll start playing hard again once the real season starts, as another president's trophy really means nothing.

7. rikster

rikster
    Expand Collapse
    2nd Team All-Star

Jon Stewart made my day...

You might be right Die Hard, living on the Island and deciding to take in the game live leaves a bad taste in the mouth when they do a no show...

On a brighter note, this clip from Jon Stewart on the evil Bruins made my day...

Take care...
    This post was edited on 1/19 11:58 AM by rikster

Bruins exposed

8. Die-hard

Die-hard
    Expand Collapse
    MVP

Re: Jon Stewart made my day...

I watched that this morning too - it's hilarious. Jon Stewart hates the Bruins as much as the rest of us. Being a Jays fan and a Bills fan as well as a Canucks fan, I loathe all Boston sports teams. Whenever the Red Sox come to town you get a bunch of idiot fans coming along to watch - whenever the Yankees come to town the fans are much, much classier. I guess it's just a Boston thing.

Believe me Rikster, when I watch the games and they play like crap I want to tear my hair out. That said, I'm trying to keep an even keel about the whole thing as I know they are a playoff team and I'm really excited to see what they can do once they get there.

9. Clint27

Clint27
    Expand Collapse
    MVP

There are too many teams...

...in the NHL, and the AllStar game should be scrapped. Its not like they try or show any nifty moves out there.
    Bring back the Canada Cup, or something similar.