Lets Go Kings!

Discussion in 'Hockey Talk' started by maineblackbear, May 28, 2012.

1. maineblackbear

maineblackbear
    Expand Collapse
    1st Team All-Star

Gotta love the LA Kings.

Play the game the way I like seeing it played! Hard-hitting. Make no apologies. Clutch players making clutcgh plays. Stand up players making stand up plays.

Of course, that could describe a number of Devils as well.

Congrats Kings and Devils. Both teams deserved to get to the point they are at.

Later

2. m_peroni

m_peroni
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Fame

I think they both got very lucky. You need luck, but the Kings had one tough opponent in these playoffs. The Canucks; and, the Canucks beat themselves more than they beat the Kings. The Blues were too injured and Elliot came back down to earth and performed no better than a third string goaltender. They should have kept Bishop. Phoenix was mainly riding on Mike Smith.

The Devils toughest opponent were the Panthers (and that is very awkward to say), but had the Panthers gotten more consistent goaltending (not to slam either Clemmer or Theo, they both had good seasons overall) then i think the Panthers would have won that Game 7. The Flyers were mentally and physically shot after that Penguins series, and Bryzgalov was the worst goalie to enter the second round. The Rangers played five d-men through two game 7 series and could not put things together.

The big teams got fooled. Canucks, Wings, Bruins, Penguins, Hawks...

I think the Kings have the better team, though, and they really have played through every game of every series. Jonathan Quick has surged as a league's elite goaltender. You gotta love the fact that people around the hockey world gave hats off to Paul Holmgren to win GM of the year, and yet the two stars he traded are four wins away from winning the Cup. I like DeBoer, and i've always liked Parise and Kovalchuk, but i really don't think that they have enough to win it.

Yet....most of us have been proven wrong this post-season. Anything can happen.

3. rikster

rikster
    Expand Collapse
    2nd Team All-Star

I don't think the Kings got lucky as much as they took advantage of their breaks and showed the ability to close a series out when given the chance...

The biggest reason I think the Nucks fell short last year was given the same opportunity, ie up 3 - 0 against Chicago, they couldn't close out the series until overtime in game 7 which came back to bite them as they moved on in the playoffs...

So, kudos to the Kings ...

I've actually enjoyed watching the Devils and in paticular the Bernier line...

The player that has stood out for me this post season has been Parise...

Heard so much about him but haven't seen him play until the playoffs and he is as good as advertised....

Take care...

4. Die-hard

Die-hard
    Expand Collapse
    MVP

They both play a horrible, horrible brand of hockey - hook, hold, grab, clutch, interfere. Anything but try to actually score goals.

With that said, I'm not sure who I'm cheering for here. I really like Willie Mitchell, Kopitar and a few of the Kings players, but I also really like Brodeur and hope he wins another.

We'll see - I'll be watching either way.

5. m_peroni

m_peroni
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Fame

So far both games have been exciting. Lots of chances, fast transition, and good physicality too.

6. maineblackbear

maineblackbear
    Expand Collapse
    1st Team All-Star

The flip-side is this...

Skate wicked fast, then when someone toches you...throw yourself to the ice and act like you got shot.

Thats what we saw from the supposed skill teams during last years playoffs.

Act like soccer players from Italy's Serie A. If an opponent comes within 5 feet of you....fall down and lay there.

Later

7. Die-hard

Die-hard
    Expand Collapse
    MVP

And the big, bad Bruins would never do that - right Brad Marchand? Right Daniel Paille? Right David Krejci? Right Tyler Seguin?

The hypocrisy is so thick you can cut it with a knife........

Enjoy your horrible brand of tough, play it the right way hockey. There's a reason nobody is watching this year and the ratings are in the toilet.

8. m_peroni

m_peroni
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Fame

Oh please, all soccer players do it.

9. Die-hard

Die-hard
    Expand Collapse
    MVP

I'm sorry - when were we talking about soccer? I was under the impression this is a hockey board?

Not really sure of your point.....

10. maineblackbear

maineblackbear
    Expand Collapse
    1st Team All-Star

Of course they would! Chara dove against Pittsburgh this season.I saw Lucic dive. Hell, a Marchand dive was the direct reason for one of the Bruins playoff losses to the Caps!

But with nowhere near the frequency with which some of those skilled teams dove. I thought that some games I watched were embarassing for the sheer frequency of diving.

Later

11. rikster

rikster
    Expand Collapse
    2nd Team All-Star

Must be the off season, arguments are now my guys dive less than your guys do.... :)

If the media had turned on Boston two seasons ago and had highlighted their divers, then Boston would have been viewed as the team with the best divers...

For some reason the media turned on Vancouver and made it an issue... In hindsight many of those media members who jumped on the band wagon have since jumped off and the irony is now they are accusing the Bruins of being a dirty team ...

The Bruins have some vey dirty players for sure, but in another irony, the playoffs this season seem to be much dirtier than they were last year and the level of diving in this years playoffs has reached a new level...

I think the media haven't picked one team out of the pack because all the teams are guilty of doing it...

Take care...

12. Sir Rodney

Sir Rodney
    Expand Collapse
    NHL

I don't think we will get far trying to quantify which teams dove/dives more. The bottom line is that a frustration has crept into the League due to the low quality of officiating. I always found that if I called the penalties as they occurred, the amount of diving per se was reduced to a minimum. The moment I started to "let the players decide", that's when it crept back in. Human nature being what it is, players and teams are always looking for an edge. If it's doing that extra bit of obstruction, they'll do it as long as they can get away with it. Call the penalties and the obstruction stops. It's all a matter of expectations. I always found the players to be extremely adaptable. For example, I used to be a lot more lenient in the first period so that the teams could get some energy into the game. It really helped to have a good relationship with the Captains. Often by the second period, things went beyond the level set in the first so warnings had to be issued followed by penalties being assessed. By the third, often fatigue began playing a part so the line got crossed more than earlier in the game. Penalties still had to be called but, interestingly, the quality of play improved because more was at stake. By the latter half of the third, I rarely had to call anything. To me, that's a combination of keeping the game under control but also giving the players a bit of latitude. What I see happening now is that the officials have relinquished control to the players in all but the most non-discretionary situations (a stick held horizontally at the opponent's waist, the puck going over the glass, etc.). They have created an environment where frustration sets in. The players clearly have no idea as to what the expectations are on the ice. The diving, which tends to show up the officials, is part of that frustration. The assumption seems to be that the refs must have missed that obvious infraction so I have to draw it to his attention so I will get the call the next time. That's wrong on so many levels. Call the rules throughout the game, force the players to adapt and suddenly you have the game as it was intended. Put the whistle away except for ticky tacky stuff and you get what you've got today. Not as hard a fix as many would suggest.