Luongo to Toronto this off season?...

Discussion in 'Hockey Talk' started by rikster, Mar 26, 2012.

1. rikster

rikster 2nd Team All-Star

Some very interesting information from a Canucks poster who has access to a team insider and who has a very good reputation amongst Canuck posters based on her many historical insider scoops...

Hodgson:

The Canucks liked him but felt he could not develop into the type of player they needed going forward. Felt they were lucky to have a player of his skill and potential and be in a position where they could part with him without subtracting from the core. The problems were indeed his father. Although his father did not ask for a trade he often complained about the lack of ice time and was pushing Cody to ask as well. His father pushed the Canucks to the point where no one on the team wanted to take his calls and he did strongly suggest that if the Canucks were not going to utilize him properly then they should trade him. So dad did not demand a trade but strongly pushed for one. All of his lobbying was aimed at the off season and the Hodgson camp was a little taken back that it happened now. The Canucks don't want to come out and say he demanded a trade because he didn't exactly do that but they are a little miffed that the Hodgson camp is not being more forthcoming. The other complaints were along the lines of not getting enough PP time, not getting a shot on the PK (he was a good PK in junior) not having the right wingers for him to properly utilize his skill and of course not enough ice time. Dad was worried that Cody would not be able to develop to the point that his next contract would be severely undermined. So the Canucks were not in a hurry to trade him and did try, in their opinion, everything they could to see how he could better fit now. Bottom line was that the Hodgson camp was not prepared to do their time and this is money driven. So the Canucks parted with Cody because they could and in doing so got rid of a big headache called dad.

Luongo:

Interesting stuff. He is going through some serious relationship shit, on again off again kinda stuff, right now it is on again which may explain his poor play ( ) Although the Canucks will publicly deny this, if a trade could have been made deadline day he may have been gone. Their preference at this point is to keep Cory and try to help Luongo get back to the East. Discussions were held with at least two teams, don't know which two and it could be that the foundation is being laid for an off season deal. The Canucks absolutely love Cory, everything about him and do not want to trade him.

Deadline Day:

The Canucks had a list of players, 100-150, that they said OK these are the only guys and teams we will focus on. If the call is not about one of these guys then we won't entertain it. With respect to Hodgson that deal was very last minute as they had 3 or 4 teams interested for a variety of players. They waited as late as they could before pulling the trigger and in the end decided that Kassian was the main piece for them. They did have other offers they were entertaining but it all did come down to the act that Kassian was the one they coveted.

They tried every which way they could to trade Raymond. Because he is RFA bottom feeders were not interested and contender did not bite. They simply could not unload him.

They did not make an offer for Ott. He does not fit their mould moving forward and the asking price was way too high. They also knew that with their new ownership Dallas was not about to trade with Canucks or if they did they would want more than an arm and a leg. So they didn't get into that scenario. They like Ott but they don't like his age and were not about to give up a high draft pick and a promising prospect to try and land him. Their philosophy that day was to not be distracted so they left it alone.

Pahlsson was one of four centres they had on their list. He was the first one and they got him.

Given the unknown status of Ballard they did not want to spend more money bringing in another D man. They hope Ballard will be ready for the playoffs. The price to acquire another steady D man was too high for them to pay. When teams are trading with you they know your weaknesses and like last year they found that some players were traded for pieces they would have given but they were never given the chance to do that. The price for them, as it was for a few other contenders, was much higher. Supply and demand and need vs NEED.

On the team play:

They are finding is very f'ing hard to play right now. It is all mental. They know it is a problem but they just don't have the motivation right now. The playoffs can't start soon enough for them. They don't care about individual stats, seeding, President's Trophy. They just want to be in the playoffs. They have all increased their work out routines and are resting as much as possible away from the rink. They are in what they call playoff prep mode. The mental part will come and they know they have to start playing a more consistent game. I think we will see a few more sleepers yet but expect by the last few games they will turn it up a notch. Too bad for me, I have tickets for an up coming game

On Next year:

I think unless Raymond turns his game around he may be done here. I think they will try to trade Luongo and not Cory. I think Ballard may be done and they will try to add another top 4 D man, either through trade or FA."

The poster also shared some information from last years playoff series with the Black Hawks and the fact that the Canucks team was dealing with an illness that went thru the room ...

"t wasn't the flu. The best they could determine was that after game 3 or 4 in Chicago ( I forget now which game) the majority of the players got something from the after game food in the dressing room. The way the illness spread, who got infected and the symptoms were all consistent with food poisoning/sickness. Most of the players and coaching staff had some effects, some worse than others. As any of us who have been so inflicted we know it can take a good week to 10 days before you feel 100%. A lot of the players were on IV drips between periods for a few games after that as dehydration set in with the constant shits and vomiting. They never did track it down 100% but were pretty sure it came from that source.

And yes, they did down play it as not to make excuses.

Speaking of injuries it is interesting to read Boston fans whine about all their injuries right now."

Regarding Luongo, with the Canucks having goaltending depth in the organization, and with Luongo ready to return to the East, do Toronto and Tampa Bay get into a bidding war this off season for his services and with Yzerman stock piling draft picks are they putting the pieces together to get a deal done with Vancouver at the draft table?....

Take care....

2. Sir Rodney

To Quote Spock

Fascinating!!!

Hi Rikster,

This made for a very interesting read. I realize how many bloggers have speculated on the reasons for the Hodgson trade but the information you provided adds a bit more depth to that speculation. I have always been satisfied with the trade simply from the stand point that Hodgson wasn't a fit in Vancouver. Nothing against him personally but there was no way he was going to crack the top six as a centre and he wasn't suited for the bottom six. Kassian is definitely behind Hodgson in terms of readiness but I am confident he will do just fine with a year of conditioning, strength training and coaching under his belt. There are signs he isn't NHL ready now but then, neither was Cody a year ago. I have a feeling Buffalo is going to be a tad disappointed if they figure he will be one of their top two centres as well. He's too easily taken off of the puck to be a significant threat. The reported interference by Cody's father doesn't come as a surprise as it has been speculated on ever since the trade took place. The Twitter Twits in Vancouver have got to move on.

Luongo is the biggest piece of any off season moves the Canucks might make. I get that there are many who don't feel there can be a trade between Toronto and Vancouver as long as Burke and Nonis are there. I don't buy that. The timing for a potential deal between these two franchises couldn't be better. Whether the Toronto fans want to admit it or not, Burke is now on the clock. He has to make a huge splash this Summer or he won't last the season in my opinion. He simply has to score a home run in terms of acquiring a top goal tender. Much as we love Schneider in Vancouver, that won't be enough to satisfy the vultures that are starting to circle. Any reluctance to make a deal with Vancouver will be removed if the possibility of getting a someone of Luongo's caliber exists. I don't doubt for a minute that Luongo would like to move back east, particularly if there is a problem between he and Gina. When Pronger wanted out of Edmonton, the Oiler fans vilified his wife for not wanting to be there. The Oilers didn't have a Plan B in place whereas the Canucks do. I find it a bit hard to accept that the situation with Luongo and his wife was so strained that they would have been willing to trade him at the Deadline. Assuming what your insider has said is true, I think the more likely scenario was that Luongo had laid the groundwork for a Summer deal between himself, the Canucks and his wife. Being the professional that he clearly is, I believe he wanted to give the Canucks one last shot at winning the Stanley Cup with him in the net before moving on. The Canucks as an organization would never have initiated the possibility of trading Luongo, much as they may have wanted to Keep Schneider in the fold. There is nothing to suggest that they would do anything but honor the contract they signed with Luongo. The initiation of the idea would have to come from Luongo which, again assuming your information is correct, appears to be the case here. When you also factor in the fickle what have you done for us lately crowd on Vancouver talk radio, even if there wasn't an issue with his wife, I could see him wanting out. If you really want to add some fuel to the speculation, maybe the signing of Cannata was done with some recognition that they needed to top up their goal tender pool in preparation for next season.

As far as May Ray is concerned, he has to be playing for a job for next year and what I find frustrating but encouraging is that this effort has only emerged in the past short while. It's too far into the season for it to be solely the effect of his playoff injury. If there's a trade to Toronto in the off season, I could see Raymond being part of that as well.

The evolution of the Canucks in terms of grit is just at the midway point as far as I am concerned. I love the way they come together as a team when one of their skill players gets pushed around. Off season moves will continue that trend. They are very likely to be looking for replacements for Salo, Ballard and Raymond. This could make for a very interesting Summer. I am not prepared to write off this year's quest for the Cup but they have to be able to find the on switch pretty soon.

Great Post by the way.

Take care.

3. Shakes

Shakes MVP

the food poisinging theory is just to funny!

Good post very entertaining.....

4. rikster

rikster 2nd Team All-Star

Re: To Quote Spock

Morning Sir Rodney...

Appreciate the compliment but can't accept it because the bulk of my post was a cut and paste from the original post by the Canuck insider...

Regarding Luongo, I wonder if whatever the outcome this post season the time is right for him to move on...

If he stands on his head and the team wins the Cup, he can move on with his head held high...

If he struggles, or worse for him the team is forced to give the crease to Schneider, then I would think he would welcome a change of scenery....

With Kassian and Jensen the team now has 2 blue chip power forward prospects in the system and deals with the size issue on the wings....

In these two kids along with Booth, the team is suddenly big on the wings...

If Luongo is moved, I would think a team like Tampa would be a good trade partner because they have been stock piling draft picks and I can see the Canucks wanting to try and land a future addition to the top line for when the Sedins enter the down side of their careers...

I agree with you, I don't think either Gillis or Burkey would allow personal feelings get in the way of making a business decision...

On Hockey Night in Canada, a suggestion was made that the Leafs should get both Nash and Parise this offseason, wouldn't it be better if they could land Nash and Luongo?....

For all of the Leafs woes,the biggest reason they will miss the post season again might be their poor goaltending ...

Take care...

5. m_peroni

m_peroni Hall of Fame

Interesting stuff, but i don't believe a word of it.

6. Die-hard

Die-hard MVP

It's written by a poster on another site I frequent who has inside connections with the Canucks - she's called a few of their moves prior to them happening in recent times. Doesn't mean she's right here but she's definitely legitimate.

On the Schneider/Lu trade, they have to trade Schneider unless they get a ridiculous offer for Luongo. I doubt that's going to happen. Given that, I expect Schneider will be gone this off-season and Lack will be up next year to back up Lu.

Schneider will fetch a nice return from a team that really needs a keeper, he's easily the best keeper in the NHL that's not currently a starter (apologies to Jonathan Bernier, who has tons of potential but nowhere near enough results yet).

All of this depends on what happens this playoffs of course - if Lu implodes then life in Van will be unbearable for him and he's going to be asking out, the Nucks won't have to try and convince him to waive his no trade.