Marcel Dionne's Comments

Discussion in 'Hockey Talk' started by Die-hard, May 28, 2012.

1. Die-hard

Die-hard
    Expand Collapse
    MVP

I think he's bang on - teams like the Kings, Devils, Preds, Rangers, etc are about as exciting as watching paint dry. For him to be a huge Kings legend and say this must carry some weight. This is a quote from Sportsnet:

The style we’re watching? It is boring hockey. Really boring. Out-muscling, out-bumping. The game’s almost all played along the boards. In my day, as soon as I got the puck, I faced the play. Now, you watch (Anze) Kopitar, the way he protects the puck. He puts his back towards the defenceman, the defenceman can’t do anything. He goes to the left. Then he comes back to the right.

“In the meantime, nothing happens.

“Very seldom do you see a forward beat a defenceman 1-on-1. Doesn’t happen. And the way Wayne (Gretzky) used to curl and trap guys? Very, very few players do this now. There’s just no room out there. And I think most of the guys are restricted in what they’re allowed to do. Sometimes you didn’t watch the game and later that night you see a replay and you say ‘Oh, what a spectacular play! Must’ve been a great game!’ But that was the only frickin’ play in the whole frickin’ game.’’

2. m_peroni

m_peroni
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Fame

I guess he did not watch the last two games between the Rangers and Devils. Anyone who says those were boring is just being stupid and a whiner that his team is not in there.

Was Dionne complaining in the 90s when everything was holding, hooking, interference, two line pass, and a heavy trap?

3. Sir Rodney

Sir Rodney
    Expand Collapse
    NHL

What's with you Mick? Is everything so black and white that there can't be an informed opinion that happens to differ from your own? Marcel Dionne's team IS THERE and he's expressing an opinion to which he is more than entitled. I get that you have enjoyed this year's playoffs and that's fine. To denigrate everyone who doesn't share that and classify them as being stupid and a whiner because their team doesn't happen to be there is insulting. By the way, I share Dionne's views, ergo, by implication your comments have been directed at me and I resent it.

4. Die-hard

Die-hard
    Expand Collapse
    MVP

Hey Sir,

I think the whole fact that Dionne's team is there and he's still saying this is exactly why it's interesting to see. Even with his own team in the finals he still thinks the hockey sucks.

If Bettman would ever listen to anybody else a guy like Dionne's opinion should carry a lot of weight and cause some changes. Fact is, Bettman doesn't like to hear any criticism as he's the type who just can't take it.

5. rikster

rikster
    Expand Collapse
    2nd Team All-Star

What I liked about what he said was "as compared" to another era he is finding the hockey boring...

As compared to most of the hockey this post season, mperoni found the last 2 Jersey/Ranger games exciting, which I agree with, but that is a pretty low entertainment bar that those games had to live up to and exceed...

What I found interesting was the news out of Nashville that despite some pretty successful seasons, the team continues to bleed red ink which seems to dispel the myth that as long as you win fans won't care how you win...

And I wonder if teams will think twice about acquiring players like Gaborek who are not suited to the post season style of hockey and instead go for more of the grinders who seem to shine at this time of the year....

We've seen a number of post seasons post lockout where the standard of officiating has deteriorated to pre lockout days, so you would have to think its here to stay...

I especially got upset watching the Memorial Cup final overtime where the ref's put their whistles away and let tackling and rodeo techniques go unpunished with the announcers applauding the lack of enforcement because they were letting the players decide the outcome...

How dumb is that? Can we please call a penalty when it is committed regardless of the time and date?....

Take care...

6. maineblackbear

maineblackbear
    Expand Collapse
    1st Team All-Star

What type of changes?

Take the physical play out of the game? Turn the game into track meets?

When Dionne played, the game was much slower. The players were much smaller. There was as much mucking it up, hooking and holding as their is today. The smnaller slower players allowed for more space on the ice.

I could care less which way the NHL goes. My team is built for both types of games, and they are only adding more and more good young players over the next 3 or 4 years...including the best junior d man. So, I realluy have horse in the race.

They may have to go the route of making equipment smaller and non-bullet proof. The hitting wont calm down until the players feel it physically.

I do think its rich though that Dionne mentioned Gretz. I love Gretz and everything he did for the NHL. But lets be real here....the Oil held, hooked and cheapshot opponents as much as any team in the NHL did. And Gretz Kings teams did the same. Some great skilled guys, but lots of back alley muggers on those teams.

Later

7. m_peroni

m_peroni
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Fame

These teams did not play any different last season, though. Save for the Devils and Kings that went through coaching changes.

Why didn't he say anything last year? That's why i am irritated by this.

8. rikster

rikster
    Expand Collapse
    2nd Team All-Star

I think other than a few tweaks like maybe going back to wooden sticks which allows goalies to have smaller equipment for safety reasons, all they have to do is to call the rules the way they are written ...

Dumb it down hockey isn't as successful without the clutching and grabbing ...

A penalty in the pre season is a penalty in the regular season is a penalty in the playoffs is a penalty in game 7 of the playoffs is a penalty in over time of the Cup finals....

The Kings have always been known as a slower team and that was their biggest weakness and how a team like the Canucks could beat them...

This post season they have found a way to slow the games down to their teams pace which has allowed their bigger, physical players to have an impact on the outcomes...

Some have complained that the clutching and grabbing and interference crept back into the games as the season came to a close and some point to the arrival of Carter as the turning point on the Kings fortunes...

Maybe a coincidence, maybe one more than the other, but any hockey fan will see that the games have again been bogged down...

The sour grapes I have is that the team I root for is on the short end of the stick....those teams who built more prodding type teams have the advantage while the teams who were built with the new rules in mind are left wondering if they need to adapt to the new, new rules....

Going back to the financial woes in Nashville, these new rules were meant to bring back excitement in hopes of attracting fans and what Nashville did post lockout was to build a boring defensive style team and it seems to be biting them in the rear with their inability to attract fans who are willing to pay what they need to charge to make a profit....

Take care...

9. maineblackbear

maineblackbear
    Expand Collapse
    1st Team All-Star

I believe that a good team is built in a manner in which it can play any style of game that is needed.

Thats why I love what Chiarelli is doing. He built this team with BIG, hard-hitting players who have skill.

And he has supplemented those players with guys like Seguin, who is absolutely phenomenal. Ryan Spooner and Jared Knight are knocking on the door as well.

The Bruins can beat you in a track meet, and then can beat you in the alley. It all depends on who they play.

I do find it funny that the ganme is being played today, the same way it was being played in its hey day. There has ALWAYS been a ton of hooking, clutching and grabbing in hockey. It has always been that way. It has always featured stick swingers, instigators and goons.

It is not played in any appreciably different way than it was years ago.

The major difference is the size of the men playing the game, the speed at which they play the game and the equipment that is being used.

The game is the same, however due to size of the players and the speed of play, there is less open space. Withi less open space comes more congestion. With congestion, the more visible the clutching and grabbing.

Later

10. rikster

rikster
    Expand Collapse
    2nd Team All-Star

The reality is they couldn't or didn't which meant they went out in the first round of this years playoffs...

Last season they caught magic in a bottle and rode it to the Cup, just like the Kings are doing this year....

Next season it will be a different team...

The way the game was played in the old days brought with it enough fans to fill the stands in 6 rinks, today we have 30 rinks and not enough fans to fill them all....

Clutching and grabbing or dumb it down hockey really doesn't do the game justice, and why the owners and players thought change was important coming out of the lockout....It's a shame that owners have allowed the old way of playing back into the game and I think its safe to say that there will be another crack down on dumb it down hockey this summer as the league bargains a new CBA...

For me, it does' really matter... big and tough or fast and skilled, I am a hockey fan but if you are a team built on the artistic side of the game and then when you get into the most important games of the year and the officials decide to let the 3rd and 4th liners influence the outcomes there is a problem....

I just think its fair to all teams if the league makes a decision and then stick with it....

For all of the good news regarding league wide revenues, the fact that a team like Nashville with all of its recent success is still losing money and is looking for another cash injection by way of taking on another partner is disturbing because the old way of looking at things was that just winning brought fans to the games...

Now it seems that how you win also matters....

Take care...

11. Sir Rodney

Sir Rodney
    Expand Collapse
    NHL

Hi guys,

If this is the type of hockey the NHL wants to present, then it shouldn't come as a surprise that viewership is down on both sides of the border. I agree totally with the statement this one fan made in response to the article.

"Good exciting hockey is what draws ratings, not the crap that's on the ice now. Teams barely have the ability or even desire to control the puck anymore. It's throw the puck out of the zone as quick as possible and hope to have a teammate on the other side of the redline tip it in the offensive zone to avoid an icing, and it's just back and forth like that all game. The only time it doesn't happen is in games like this one where one team doesn't show up, then it's not exciting anyways. Defense is boring, and teams play to not give up goals, not to score goals."

I find it interesting that the video included in the article features the incident that polarized fans for the rest of the series. I don't think that was what we are looking for when we talk about what's missing now.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/why-aren-t-fans-watching-2012-stanley-cup-144324282.html

12. rikster

rikster
    Expand Collapse
    2nd Team All-Star

A challenge for all markets, especially non traditional markets is introducing the next generation to the sport at a young age...

Tough to do when the cost to play the game is so high and the available ice time is very limited and in many locations unavailable...

The violence factor which many of the old timers like in the game but which along with the concussion issues is something that is concerning to parents...

Cherry and those who support fighting and the violence look to the screaming fans in the stands as their validation, but I think of the millions who aren't in the stands and are not watching the games and wonder what the league needs to do to get them interested in the games....

Todays generation has MMA and other ways to get their violence fix, I would think for them there isn't enough violence or fighting in hockey to appease them which leaves the game caught somewhere in the middle....

Competitive balance and dumb it down hockey is a recipe for disaster because it takes the skill factor out of the game and as we are seeing in this years playoffs very talented players need not apply because the game is a waste of your skills...

Why is it that the Swiss teams always give the Canadian teams so much trouble at international events? Dumb it down hockey and a very good goalie who often times looks better than he really is behind this system of play....

Nice to know that its not only some of us who are worried about the future of the game as the likes of JIm Nill are voicing their concerns...

Take care....

Where is the game going?

13. Sir Rodney

Sir Rodney
    Expand Collapse
    NHL

Hi Rikster,

Thanks for the link. It's interesting that other than Mick, there haven't been that many endorsing the style of hockey being played. It's one thing to have concern being expressed by the GMs but when their bottom line is to win in order to keep their jobs, how do they diverge from what appears to be a winning formula?

We had a power failure in Coldstream last night that lasted from the beginning of the game until half way through the third period. Did I miss anything? Did I care? Apparently I wasn't alone.

14. rikster

rikster
    Expand Collapse
    2nd Team All-Star

Hi Sir Rodney...

It's too bad the games have deteriorated because the ratings for the opening round of the playoffs were very good, but it seems as the dumb it down hockey took over the ratings went south...

It would worry me from the league and players point of view because I don't think anybody outside of LA and Jersey thinks this is the best the game can offer from an entertainment value standard...

I tried to watch the game last night but between the poor quality of play and the just as poor ice conditions which didn't help, I found it unwatchable and could only handle a period and a bit...

Take care...

15. maineblackbear

maineblackbear
    Expand Collapse
    1st Team All-Star

All I am going to say is this...

You DONT catch "magic in a bottle over the course of 20+ games.

People like to say that Boston plays dumb it down hockey. I may be off on this, but Boston has been top 2 in the NHL in goals scored, twice in the last 3 seasons.

You dont do that by playing dumb it down hockey.

Later