Mark Recchi A Jerk? Hardly

Discussion in 'Hockey Talk' started by Sir Rodney, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Sir Rodney

Sir Rodney
    Expand Collapse
    NHL

I found the comments about Recchi in the Puck Daddy blog totally ridiculous. Apparently by Recci reaching the bonuses written in his contract, the Bruins will be tagged with a cap penalty of $1.13 million this year. For this, Puck Daddy, who ever the hell he is, classifies Recchi as being a jerk and a non team player. That doesn't wash as far as I am concerned. The Bruins wanted to win the Stanley Cup and Recchi was a major contributing factor in achieving that goal. As a result, he earned those bonuses. Weren't they put in there as an incentive for him to perform well in the first place? I can just see Neely saying to the coach, "You've got to bench Recchi for the playoffs. He's playing too well and he's going to cost us next year."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/What-We-Learned-Get-ready-for-a-year-of-Zach-Pa?urn=nhl-wp9966

2. Shakes

Shakes
    Expand Collapse
    MVP

Strange not much said just that he was a jerk. I wish that there was more to go on other then a player earning playoff bonus's. Oh well the cap hit to the Bruins this year was worth it no?????

FYI I have been thinking long and hard about where the Leafs will fit into the standing this season and I have been considering your comments along with Diehards and yes yours to Rickster as to how Burke has been fairing as a GM. When the season gets closer I will finalize my thoughts as right now they are still a work in progress. One thing is for certain there is a lot of un-answered questions with Burke.......

52 days until the Leafs season officially begins. Lots of time yet.

3. rikster

rikster
    Expand Collapse
    2nd Team All-Star

If I had to pick a jerk, it would be Shea Weber for thinking he was worth what he was asking for and the arbitrator who thought he was worth just a little less than what he was asking for...

I like Weber and would love him on the Nucks but in my opinion he has very little star appeal and when you are talking the kind of money he received in arbitration the ability to draw fans to the games needs to be considered...

Regarding Recchi, why would anybody not want players to be paid on bonus rather than straight guaranteed salary?

Guaranteed contracts are the kiss of death in pro sports...

Sorry Shakes, the dog days of summer haven't made the the roster Burkey built look any prettier...

And what's up with Schenn?...Why isn't he signed?

Take care...

4. m_peroni

m_peroni
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Fame

Any d-man scoring 20 goals is a star, but i agree he is not worth that much. He is a $6M d-man.

5. rikster

rikster
    Expand Collapse
    2nd Team All-Star

I agree...

Makes me wonder if in addition to a team cap there should also be a positional cap...

Because the Chara contract inflates the Weber contract which will inflate future contracts, players are earning more than they are able to justify with their on ice play...

What if each position had a cap?

Using your number of $6 million for Weber as a cap ceiling for blue liners, the top guys would earn the cap ceiling number which makes negotiations much easier for teams and helps teams keep their players while the lessor lights will earn contracts more in line with what they can do on the ice...

These contracts should be viewed as their base contract, their off ice marketing value will determine how much more they earn...

Take care...

6. Clint27

Clint27
    Expand Collapse
    MVP

What would be the sense?

Teams would find a way to circumvent that cap as well. The teams are their own worst enemies....if a guy is worth 7 million he should get it, shouldn't matter the postion. Its hard to say that one position is worth more than another...the Flyers fans will tell you that a Goalie should be paid the most, and so on.

7. rikster

rikster
    Expand Collapse
    2nd Team All-Star

Re: What would be the sense?

Who would have thought the cap floor is what is causing so much chaos with contracts...

A few teams drive up the league wide revenues and raise the salary cap ceiling which in turn causes those teams resisting the cap floor to overpay players just to get to the floor...

Hard to blame those General Managers for doing what they have to do, but unfortunately those inflated contracts are used along with other bad contracts by arbitrators or agents for future contracts...

As the league grows the game the need to do something significant to protect the many markets which are not growing at the same rate as the league as a whole is, so you have to think outside the box...

The owners giving up the second contract in the current CBA has turned out to be a disaster and something they will have to take back in some form or another...

I'd cap all positions the same amount and then work out a marketing deal like a music artist where whenever his/her/their song is played they receive a royalty...

When a Crosby jersey is sold or his number is sewn on the back of a Penguins jersey, some of the royalty is paid to the league and some of it is paid to Crosby directly...

Take care...