Odds and Ends

Discussion in 'Hockey Talk' started by maineblackbear, Jun 29, 2011.

1. maineblackbear

maineblackbear
    Expand Collapse
    1st Team All-Star

Some odds and ends...

Boston is reportedly shopping Kaberles free agent rights...they will look at outside options, but are comfortable going with Steve Kampfer, who was playing quite well prior to his injury, and then re-assess at the deadline.

Michael Ryder appears to be as good as gone. May get offers from outside for up to 2 to 3 years at 3 to 3.5 per. He wont get that from Boston. Again, as with the blueline, Boston will look outside the organization first (Simon Gagne and Erik Cole), and if they dont bring someone in, will go with Jordan Caron, Ryan Spooner or Jared Knight.

Final tally on the Phil Kessel trade....Tyler Seguin, Jared Knight, and Doug Hamilton. Pretty damned good fron where I sit. Trading Kessel also allowed the Bruins to make the deal for Nathan Horton.

Steve Stamkos is reportedly going to receive at least 2 huge RFA offers...Philly and the Wings appear to be set on offering upwards of 9 years for 91 million. 2 or 3 other teams may get in on it as well.

Later

2. rikster

rikster
    Expand Collapse
    2nd Team All-Star

Regarding the Kessel trade, while I agree that it looks very one sided I think in all fairness you have to give it more time to see how the 3 kids turn out...

I think if Burke had to do it over again, he would have kept his thoughts to himself and not been been so bold and vocal putting himself in a corner where he had to make a splash for the sake of making a splash...

Take care...

3. maineblackbear

maineblackbear
    Expand Collapse
    1st Team All-Star

True Enough

Yes, that is true...regarding time for the kids to develop.

But I say this because after watching Seguin 80+ times...he is going to be an absolute STUD!

The thing with Seguin is that he has always been a bit behind others of his age. He played 1 less year of jr than Hall, but by the time they were ready to go to the draft, he had worked his way up to being Halls equal.

Hall put up better numbers this year, but then again, he played on a team going nowhere. A team that was willing to give him 20+ minutes on many nights, and usually around 18. Boston was a team that from day one considered themselves a legit threat to win the Cup. So, they essentially started the season by alternating Seguin and Marchand at 3rd and 4th line LW.

Knight had had a tremendous year in juniors. And as far back as developement camp last fall, Bruins brass thought BOTH Knight and Spooner were more NHL ready than Seguin. However, draft position being what it is, and the Bruins needing an infusion of excitement, Seguin made the team. Knight will legitimately compete for a 3rd line role in Boston this winter IF the Bruins do not sign a wing in FA, AND allow Ryder to leave. In the eventuality that both of those things happen...some combo of Knight, Caron and Spooner would take the 2 open win spots.

Hamilton? I LOVE this pick. Best d man (potentially) that the Bruins have drafted in years. Most scouts had him 4th or 5th in their pre-draft evals. Physical...big porojectable frame...solid defensive play...high level offensive capability.

Obviously we will see how each of the 3 develop. But 1 thing I CAN say with absolutely no hesitation, is this...

If Phil Kessel is still with the Bruins this past season....no way in hell do they even remotely come close to getting to the SCF. Not a chance. His lack of willingness to take hits to make plays infuriated his teammates, coaches and management. His lack of willingness to condition his body while his teammates busted their asses, pissed his teammates off. Phil Kessel can score the puck...no doubt about that. But when I look at him, I instantly think, "selfish", "all about me", "not a winner", "not a team guy."

Addition by subtract.

Later