Proud or embarrassed?..

Discussion in 'Hockey Talk' started by rikster, Jun 25, 2011.

1. rikster

rikster 2nd Team All-Star

Something about the Oilers being at the podium for the second straight year and saying how proud they were to make the first selection in the draft....

Shouldn't they have said how embarrassed they were to pick first again?...

With the salary cap, and thinking back to the cap related decisions the Black Hawks had to make following their Cup win, should the league change the method of determining the draft order...

When the Bruins said how proud they were to make their decision, that sounded right and good on them for having such a competitive team and standing on the podium before 21 other teams to make a selection...

Under a hard cap system, this is not like the old days when good teams stayed good for a long time ...

The competitive balance around the league has never been better, and the cap ensures very good players are dispersed on a yearly basis ...

With revenue sharing, why should a team like the Canucks send some $18 million a year to assist money losing teams and then be asked to wait until the end of the first round to make a pick because they were competitive which allowed them to make the money to send to those money losing teams?

I think it might be time to re think things and say you can have it one of two ways...either the money making teams share with the money losing teams or the bad teams can pick first and the good teams can pick last, but you can't have both...

Take care...

2. Sir Rodney

I get your point but I wonder if you would feel as strongly on the issue if you weren't supporting one of the have teams. The main reason a hard cap was implemented was to prevent rich teams like the Leafs or Rangers from simply spending far beyond the means of most teams in the NHL. Now, we would be considered part of that group as with the revenue generated by this franchise, I doubt if Aquilini would balk at adding $20 or $30 million to the payroll. It wouldn't take long for the rich teams to suffer if several of the weak links couldn't draw flies to your rink due to their lack of ability to add players to make them at least competitive. I far prefer this model, including the Draft lottery system to what they do in Baseball. I don't want to see anyone as the New York Yankees of hockey, ever.

I didn't react to Tambellini's proud comment. I wondered if Gilman was going to congratulate the Bruins which I am glad he did. I was surprised he didn't add the refs to that statement though (all right, I admit, that one was for Jeff).

The one kid I would have liked to get with the Canucks was the one Burkey managed to snag for the Leafs. Talented, big and scrappy. We at least got two out of the three.

3. rikster

rikster 2nd Team All-Star

Good morning...

I've always thought that the CBA is a compromise rather than a solution so it will always need tweaking and sometimes an overhaul...

I'm not arguing against eliminating the cap unless you want to go down the contraction road, what I'm thinking is under the current CBA with the hard cap why not change the way the draft order is determined?...

Why not give the first overall pick to the Cup winner?

The problem with a small market team tanking and stock piling elite draft picks is that if they turn into star NHL players, the teams won't be able to fit all of them under the league or team imposed cap anyways?...

Money losing markets need the money making markets to be succesful so that they ensure they will receive equalization payments....

Many of the revenue rich markets are dependant on their ability to be winners on the ice, ie Dallas and Colorado and at one time Vancouver and when they stop winning on the ice, they also start to lose money off the ice...

Just a thought...

Take care...