Quiet Thursday For Canucks

Discussion in 'Hockey Talk' started by Sir Rodney, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Sir Rodney

I don't think any of us were expecting any blockbuster announcement from the Canucks today but I am a little surprised that Salo wasn't signed. I highly doubt there is any concern with his signing elsewhere so it could be nothing more than getting ready for the more critical action tomorrow morning and waiting to see what they can afford to pay him. Torres and Higgins are definitely on the back burner and both may well have played their last game for Vancouver. I doubt they would commit any salary to the three above before they see if any of their desired upgrades come to fruition.

Here's what I think will happen tomorrow. As soon as open season is declared, the Canucks will sign Scottie Upshall. Shortly thereafter, they will announce that Salo has agreed to a one year contract for less than $2 million. The size of Upshall's contract will make signing both Higgins and Torres too expensive so they will just sign Torres and Higgins will have to look elsewhere. Where Gillis will catch us by surprise is when he pulls off a major trade for a defenseman. Depending on how much Cap space is created in the trade, Gillis' final moves will be to strengthen the fourth line, either as part of the fore mentioned trade or through free agency.

In all, I expect the Canucks to be very busy tomorrow. They were quiet today for a reason.

2. rikster

rikster 2nd Team All-Star

Good morning everybody...

For some reason I'm thinking the Nucks first significant move will be a trade, and a core for a core type of trade...

All of this talk about Buffalo now being a contender, sorry I don't see it, and was anybody surprised? New owner with too much money thinking he can buy a Cup...

Reminds me of the time my friend and I went golfing...same friend who bought that ugly green Contour, and he shows up with these brand new clubs convinced they will take him over the top and turn him into a scratch golfer....

By the 17th hole those clubs were given to one of the greenskeepers and he walked off the course cussing and swearing....

Ehrohoff is a very good player, is he good enough to pay $18 million in the first two years?...For that answer see Luongo...

Take care....

3. Sir Rodney

Salo Re-Signed

Good morning Rikster et al.

Well the order of prediction was a little off but at least we have one of the top two parts done. It sounds like the hold up was Salo wanting a two-year deal. He should realize that with his history with the Canucks, if he's capable of playing a second year, they will do the same thing next Spring. He will finish his career in Vancouver and they will be happy to have him do so. After he retires, they can dedicate a wing in VGH with a Salo plaque on each of the beds he's recovered in.

Buffalo will be a better team this year but they won't be able to knock off the big boys. Erhoff is a good puck mover but he has some defensive liabilities and as we've seen this Spring, that's what you need to win. He's being way over paid due to the scarcity of quality free agent defensemen to the point where his deficiencies are being glossed over. I liked him in Vancouver as his skills fit well with the rest of the crew. Healthy, they very well could have brought the Cup West this year (okay it will come West but just for visits, damn). He isn't going to be the stud I think they were hoping for.

I see we are on the same wave length regarding a significant trade. I wouldn't have anticipated Gillis' move last Summer and I admit I don't have a clue (there wasn't a pause there so Mick or Jeff, you don't need to jump in) about what he will do. When it happens (notice, no if), that will be the primary discussion point for the next while. Free agency alone will not get the job done as teams have discovered year after year.

Later.

4. rikster

Re: Salo Re-Signed

Now we learn Wisniewski has signed for very crazy money...

To steal a line from the Dragons Den....

The only time I'm in love with my boat is when I'm buying one or selling one...

The only time a GM is in love with his new free agency signing is when he is signing him and when he has found a buyer for the contract....

Crazy times yet again...

Take care...

5. Sir Rodney

Higgins Re-Signed

Reported deal two years $3.8 million. Okay so I picked the other one.

6. Sir Rodney

Buh Bye Raffi

I am not doing so well with my predictions. Upshall going to Florida, Torres to Phoenix, Higgins as opposed to Torres getting re-signed (I admit, that is one I am glad I had wrong).

I am trying to figure out why Kypreos is tweeting that the Canucks are working on a one-year deal with Andrew Ebbett? A small centre? Just what the Canucks don't really need right now, unless this is insurance for a possible Hodgson deal.

7. Sir Rodney

We Got A Big One

Mark Mancari has just been signed by the Canucks. A big right winger who has had some spot duty with Buffalo. Is this a diamond in the rough to try and add some grit? More likely heading to Chicago Wolves but worth a try.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=59724

8. rikster

Re: Buh Bye Raffi

Sure seems like Hodgson's days are numbered...

I had thought he would be the third line centre and Maholtra moved to wing, with Lapierre the 4th line centre....

Not worried about losing Torres, he was another player whose incident caused undue scrutiny and blindness from the officials during the playoffs....

Take care Ekland....:)

9. Sir Rodney

I had the same reaction as they did on Canucks Misconduct. With the size of Raffi's contract and the reasonable term, that would have been something the Canucks would have been willing to do. There has to be a different issue that isn't being made public.

10. rikster

Like what Washington has done, but now that they are up tight to the cap and with Alzner and Brouwer to sign and in need of a goaltender, wonder who they will trade away?...

Jeff, if your listening how do you think the Bruins will stack up against the Caps this year?

Day 1, teams blow the wads and day 2 teams look to make moves to fix their cap situations...

Take care...

11. Original Beast

Original Beast 2nd Team All-Star

good day Sir...

i agree. i like Raffi too, and what he brings, but there must be something there.

gosh, Marco Sturm for 2.25 mill?? isn't he off major knee surgery?? i've never seen so many marginal 2nd/3rd liners getting so much money. Ward netted 3mill, after ONE good round of playoffs. i'm not a fan of this, but i guess we have to give Gillis and Sturm the benefit of the doubt.

i hope Gillis stay's away from this silliness. there's really nothing good out there. like how active Philly has been, same with Washington. my question for Philly is chemistry with all the new bodies. Florida, my goodness talk about a graveyard for players past their prime - campbell, Jovo, theodore??? wonder what Peroni thinks. crazy that only a few years ago, i felt they had a bright future with lots of big, skill young players on the up and coming. oh well life changes in a moment, so do the fortune of teams.

i suspect Hodgson is a goner. too many center and and marginal 2nd/3rd liners on our team - no place for him to slot in, especially given AV's preference for pluggers. i still suspect that our defense will not change. Rome and Alberts will be our bottom paring, along with Tanev. Ballard will be tossed.
    This post was edited on 7/1 2:17 PM by Original Beast

12. Sir Rodney

Ballard

Apparently Gillis has given Ballard's agent assurances that he will not trade him this year. I still don't think they're done on the back end but any changes will be the result of a trade now.

I hope they have a medical condition clause in Sturm's contract. Surely he has to pass a physical before his contract applies.

13. Original Beast

Original Beast 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Ballard

i hope you're right SR.

i like Ballard. i think he just had a really rough year, and given our contender status last year, he just couldn't manage to gain AV's trust to allow him to play through his mistakes. my firm belief is that if he's given time to improve his conditioning, get better acquainted with the system, and be allowed to gain his confidence back, he'll be a solid number 4 for us, at least until Tanev brings his game to the next level, and bulk up a bit.

i really like the Salo deal. 2mill is a very fair price, and shows loyalty on both sides. i see Tanner Glass got a deal with the Jets - good for him - and good for Vancouver. great guy, (and nice looking wifey. =0), but not so good a player. now AV can't choose to use him anymore.

i expect a trade somewhere down the line this summer, just as you say. Kesler is still stuck with marginal 2nd liners. and i think people are crazy to expect Raymond recover by NOV. i can almost guarantee he will not be back to form till the end of next season. we've lost 50 pts from Erhoff already, and Raymond's production will be halved as well. nonetheless, i'm glad Gillis did not overpay for the likes of Leino or Fleishmann etc....

Happy Canada Day btw. =0)

14. rikster

July 2nd to opening day of regular season...

July 1st is the day for teams to screw up their budgets and July 2nd begins the days when sensible teams can make some very good trades to help teams out of their cap problems, which is how the Nucks acquired Ehrhoff from the Sharks a couple of seasons ago...

Looking over teams payrolls, there are a number who are now up against the cap and have some very substantial RFA's to sign this season or next....

The Sabres as an example are at the cap with only 19 players signed after giving a player who has never scored 20 goals in a season $4.5 over 6 years...

Ultra rich owners like the Sabres don't deal with salary caps, and you can see how quickly he has put them into a cap hell....

Lay low, be patient and then pounce on teams who are in a corner is what I'd think Gillis game plan is...

Take care...

15. Clint27

Clint27 MVP

Amen to that....

....hopefully it all comes together for them...Miller's clock is ticking.
    I like what the Panthers have done, it would be nice to see them relevant in the NHL, especially developing a rivalry with Tampa.

16. m_peroni

m_peroni Hall of Fame

Re: Amen to that....

Well, it's a good depth team now, with a handful of pricey ifs, but finally it's a roster to look at and say "yeah, it's an NHL team".

It will take time for chemistry to develop, players to settle in, and learn the new coach's philosophy.

17. Die-hard1

Die-hard1 6th Round Pick

Re: July 2nd to opening day of regular season...

I'm quite happy with what Gillis is doing overall - he's re-signed Higgins and Salo at very reasonable prices, well below what their market value would have been had they gone to free agency. Both players are solid role players for the team and will add depth.

Sturm is a signing that came out of the blue, but I'm good with it if he's healthy. If he's not, Aquilini has just spent some of the $60 million in profits he made last year and Gillis can throw him in the minors - there's really no way to lose on this. If healthy Sturm is a very good two way player capable of scoring 20 goals and playing very solid D, and those kind of players are hard to come by.

Gillis still needs to add another winger, preferably a guy who can score 20 and goes to the net hard. I don't think the team needs a 60 or 70 point guy, they just need somebody to score on Kesler's line or Manny's line. If they do this they have a 4th line likely consisting of Raymond-Lappy-Higgins, which is really good depth considering it's a better line than a lot of 2nd lines in the league.