Richards to NYR...

Discussion in 'Hockey Talk' started by Clint27, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Clint27

Clint27
    Expand Collapse
    MVP

...a shock to no one I believe...6.5 million/yr over 9 yrs..

2. m_peroni

m_peroni
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Fame

Actually, at the end of last night many Rangers fans thought he was not going to sign because the Rangers did not offer the highest bid, and they still didn't. Richards chose less money.

First five years will be $50M.

Finally the Rangers have a real #1 center. Costly, but they got one.

3. Clint27

Clint27
    Expand Collapse
    MVP

My thoughts were that he would sign in New York...it kept being reported that he loves the city AND wanted to play for Torts again...but given how long Torts has been there, I would think that the first lenghty swoon that the Ranger have may see him out the door...Couldn't see him in Toronto, as what do the Leafs have? Really? He would have played with Kessel, but after that, what? New York has solid goaltending, a solid coach that the guys seem to want to play for, and he wanted to live in the city...I hope THIS long and expensive contract works for the Rangers this time...my dream is to have all original six teams doing well!

4. rikster

rikster
    Expand Collapse
    2nd Team All-Star

So glad...

That he didn't go to Los Angelas ...

When he said he wanted to go to a place where he would have a very good chance to win this year and beyond, that had to be LA...

The fact that he chose New York tells me that it wasn't about winning, and on that note I found it so irritating to listen to interviews with players explaining why they chose their destination....

Why not just be honest and say it was because they offered me stupid money?

Take care...

5. Connecticut

Connecticut
    Expand Collapse
    1st Round Pick

Re: So glad...

I don't know -- a lot of what I heard is that partly he wanted to be closer to home. If he had only wanted money he would probably have gone to Calgary (ouch!). Plus, while LA is looking increasingly dangerous, the Rangers have been building a pretty solid team from within. Their UFA signings haven't done them a whole lot of good, but they've drafted a lot of guys who I would take as pieces of contender, like Lundvist, Staal, Callahan, Dubinsky, etc., so it's not like he's signing with Florida because they threw a lot of money at him.

6. rikster

rikster
    Expand Collapse
    2nd Team All-Star

The Kings with him on their roster would have to be considered one of the favorites for the Cup, without him they are still a very good club...

On the Rangers, I still see them plodding in and around the 8th spot...

Take care...

7. m_peroni

m_peroni
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Fame

Umm, how many playoffs series did LA win since the lockout?

Granted they have a couple of all-star players, but the Rangers have good youth as well, an excellent goalie, a coach with a Cup ring, and a 40 goal scorer as well.

And again, Richards took less money to go to NY.

8. rikster

rikster
    Expand Collapse
    2nd Team All-Star

Me being glad he went East has nothing to do with how strong a team I think the Rangers are, it was about how good a team the Kings would have been with Richards...

But speaking of the Rangers, what young talent are you refering to?

I don't see it, and as I said with or without Richards they look like a middle of the pack team in the East...

Take care...

9. m_peroni

m_peroni
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Fame

Young talent?

Dubi, Callahan, Anisimov, Stepan, Zuccarello?

Without Richards they would be an 8th seeded team. With Richards adding more offense, obviously not an 8th seed team. I think they will go 5th.
    This post was edited on 7/3 2:08 PM by m_peroni

10. Clint27

Clint27
    Expand Collapse
    MVP

I agree....

....did you hear Scottie Upshall's interview? He was asked why he picked Florida to sign with...a dozen um's and ah's and its a great team, great place to play (no its not, its hockey hell right now) and the interviewer had to point things out to him and he said "ya, good young guys".
    I would really respect the guy who says at the end of the day the team I would have REALLY liked to play for couldn't ante up, so I went were my family and I would be best taken care of!

11. m_peroni

m_peroni
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Fame

Re: I agree....

You talking about this one?

http://video.panthers.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=120120

Sounds normal and excited.