Sedin vs. Keith

Discussion in 'Hockey Talk' started by m_peroni, Mar 21, 2012.

1. m_peroni

m_peroni Hall of Fame

I think they should both be suspended. Sedin one game, Keith five games. I would have wanted to hit Sedin very hard if i was Keith, but not like that. That was just dirty with intent to injure. Sedin also threw a cheap shot from Keith's blind spot, so he deserved to get his ass kicked at some point, but not like that.

Nucks still seem to struggle as of late. Boston has struggled as well. Coincidence that last year's Finals teams are struggling? Maybe fatigue is showing a bit? If so then both coaches really need to rest these guys in the final three games or so of the season unless seeding placement is too important.

2. Sir Rodney

I wouldn't have a problem with the 1 and 5 scenario. The Sedin hit on Keith happens all too frequently in today's game and has to be removed. To me, that hit was a direct result of the philosophy that appears to have dominated the game for the past two years in terms of referees not calling the games according to the rules. Obviously I view that from a Canucks perspective but it could be argued the same for most if not all teams. The Sedin hit on Keith was either missed or ignored and that led to the return hit and ultimate chaos of scrums, stick work, etc. that the NHL purports to want out of the game. Even the calls that are made tend to be of the lazy variety (the puck going over the glass, the one hand on the stick so the other must be interfering, the horizontal stick at the waist type of thing). The Keith hit on Sedin was clear cut - not playing the puck, elbow to the head, resulting injury. Rather than call it as 5 and a game, they called a 2-minute interference penalty. The opinion expressed by the TSN panel was that the refs were calling it that way knowing that the League would take another look at it and they were off the hook for making a more penalizing call which would have brought the wrath of the fans down on them. Ray Ferraro (a good Trail boy from my home town) was between the benches and overheard the back referee comment to Vigneault that he was watching the action behind the play so it "wasn't his responsibility." Four officials on the ice with no communication amongst themselves to get the calls right. Talk about ostrich behavior, sticking their head in the sand rather than calling the games. And they wonder why that game deteriorated into Slap Shot. It's no wonder no call was made on the initial Daniel hit.

The further that game went into playoff mode, the better I liked it in terms of getting the Canucks out of their funk. A win would have been nice but that would have qualified as a bonus. They played the rest of the game with an edge, something that's been missing for quite some time. They played a hell of a price depending on how long Daniel is out but it was great seeing Henrik's dark side starting to show through. I loved his post game comment about Keith's apparent threat that he was going to get Daniel. He said something to the effect that the League should ask Keith if he had said it. Henrik said Keith would tell the truth as he's a good, honest Canadian kid. I would say he wasn't in the mood for the near constant meek Euro player jibes that he and his brother are subject to constantly by the Twitter Twits in Vancouver. Good on ya Henrik.

On another matter, now that Hodgson has scored his first two goals in Buffalo, it didn't take long for the same Twitter Twits to rehash the criticisms of Gillis for the trade. Move on already.

One final thingy, would you mind sending some of that warm weather out west. It's snowing right now for crying out loud. A buddy of mine in Portland said last night that they have more snow on the ground there than they've had all winter. So done with Winter.

Take care.

3. m_peroni

m_peroni Hall of Fame

I agree, and i like Keith. I don't think he has ever been this nasty, but that was just brutal. At least take him out when he has the puck, if you must.

The more Hodgson will put up points in Buffalo, with Kassian showing to be more of an enforcer with average offensive skills, the more Nucks fans will complain about this trade. Frankly, i thought it was a stupid trade as well, but really....we cannot dictate Kassian's future either. We do not have a crystal ball. For all we know this guy will become a 20 goal scorer with such a tough physical edge that makes him more valuable than a smart, skilled, but not as consistent Hodgson.

We do not know. Let's give Kassian a few years.

Haha....winter...snow..... i forgot what that looks like! Here it is upper 70s, nice wind, and currently i cannot see a cloud in the sky from my window.

Sure i miss a white Christmas. I miss some things about the north, and definitely having a more hockey culture up there too. But, this is also a hockey fan's dreamland. Tomorrow i am going to the game against the Oilers. I may go to the beach, hang around the pool, or just enjoy walking around wearing flip flops, shorts, t-shirt, and sunglasses. I can have lunch outside. Then i get ready for the game. After the game there is still some life to live at night if i wanted to.

Now that's life.

4. rikster

rikster 2nd Team All-Star

Think Steve Moore...

Keith promised retribution after the hit on him and he delivered with a very dirty hit which injured Sedin...

What makes it any different than what Bertuzzi did to Moore?

I think he deserves 8 to 10 and if the league wants to slap Sedin with a game or two I have no problem with that...

What gets me is how can an official deem that play a 2 minute minor? As much as the league is trying to crack down on players and this sort of thing, the bigger problem might be the mindset of the officials who don't seem to be on side with the league in trying to get this stuff out of the game...

Take care...

5. Sir Rodney

"I may go to the beach, hang around the pool, or just enjoy walking around wearing flip flops, shorts, t-shirt, and sunglasses. I can have lunch outside. Then i get ready for the game. After the game there is still some life to live at night if i wanted to."

I can do all of those things as well. Of course there might be some problems. If I go to the beach I would have to watch where I'm walking in those flip flops as there's a lot of goose shit waiting to be cleaned up. The shorts and t-shirts don't look particularly good with blue legs and shivering. You don't want to know about the deposits around my pool. My pup's been busy. As for night life, at my age that's pretty much an oxymoron. One does try but the life part is more a struggle than anything.

I did break down today and switched to my summer tires. The way it's been going though, that could trigger the next Ice Age. Global Warming, my ass.

Take care.