Shouldn't someone be fired?

Discussion in 'Hockey Talk' started by m_peroni, Oct 30, 2011.

1. m_peroni

m_peroni
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Fame

The Columbus Blue Jackets have the worst record. Worst everything, i think.

Shouldn't someone be fired?

2. rikster

rikster
    Expand Collapse
    2nd Team All-Star

Maybe not yet, but someone should be at the ledge of the cliff waiting to be pushed over...

They are not a very deep team and they have had some key injuries / suspensions so I would think they get another couple games to improve..

For me so much of the early season is about teams not respecting or being able to get up for other teams...

Colorado, Edmonton, Ottawa, when opposition teams play them they expect an easy victory and are outworked and outplayed...

Once the opposition begins to respect these teams and play with the same passion as they do, the results turn around...

I don't think Columbus has had many early season games where they could sneak out a win when they probably shouldn't because most of their early season games have been against teams who will struggle to make the post season ...

Take care...

Take care...

3. m_peroni

m_peroni
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Fame

Their cap is maxed out. It's not like they are carrying a few star players either. I think Howson is nearly as bad as Waddell was with the Thrashers.

I am upset about this because i like that hockey club. It should have a good fan base and should be a good team.

4. Die-hard

Die-hard
    Expand Collapse
    MVP

I would say if anybody gets fired it should be Howson. He's a really bad GM, no matter who the coach is he can't seem to get them to the playoffs.

It just goes to show that maxing out your payroll and signing expensive UFA's to deals they aren't worth isn't the way to win in the NHL. There's still a few teams that don't seem to get that though.

5. Sir Rodney

Sir Rodney
    Expand Collapse
    NHL

I think there is a basic lack of understanding on how to build a franchise in that organization. It starts with talent identification and drafting. When you look at their forwards, nine of the fifteen are classed as centers. Based on that stat alone, that means at least four of them are playing out of position. Die-Hard has already made the point of the fallacy of overpaying free agents. Go back a few years and R.J. Umberger never came to terms with the Canucks on his first contract and Burke drove him to the airport figuratively. He's got five more years of $4.6 million to suck out of that organization. Most teams build from the back end. The Jackets have three relatively high paid but not necessarily worth their money defensemen (Wisniewski, Methot and Tutin - these are their top three - yeah, I'd go to war with that trio leading the charge). I've never heard of the rest. That should tell you something about how they will have difficulty keeping the puck out of their net.

If you are going to start firing people, it has to be at the very top. If the talent isn't there, how is any coach supposed to make a winner out of them?

6. m_peroni

m_peroni
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Fame

I think if your team is lacking organizational depth due to bad management in previous years then your job as a GM is to add depth via trade and free agency. So, someone like Dale Tallon had to do what he did, and so far the result is better than expected.

The problem with the Blue Jackets is the GM. I mean, if goaltending has stunk for three years in a row, you would think that acquiring a goaltender should be your top priority, right? I like Mason, but let's face it, he is a back-up and nothing more at this point. I guess he resembles Andy Raycroft in that sense.

The defense is okay, not THAT bad. The forwards group appears incomplete or not planned out too well. It does not seem as if they added players according to how they would fit with their existing players. Like you said, there are too many natural centers on this team. Was chemistry even included in any planning?

All i know is that if i were the owner, and i was paying at the league max, i'd be f'ing pissed right now.

When you are spending that much money it should mean that your team should be set and not needing any trades in the first half of the season unless it is due to injuries or other complicated measures.

I know Jeff Carter is missed, and i think it would be a better team with a 100% healthy Carter, but it is ONE player. What about the rest?

Of course, if Howson does not get fired and the B'Jacks continue to fail, the ownership is to blame for being clueless and careless about the team, much like in Atlanta.