Stanley Cup Finals Game 1

Discussion in 'Hockey Talk' started by maineblackbear, Jun 1, 2011.

1. maineblackbear

maineblackbear 1st Team All-Star

Didnt know if we wanted some sort of a game thread.

Anyway...interesting game after 2 periods. Had a little bit of everything. Good goaltending at times. Some good scoring chances at times. Heavy hitting physical play!

But also....injuries...suspendable conduct...and a general lack of discipline.

Fun game to watch however, even though the Bruins can't play much worse undisciplined hockey. Very poor all around first couple periods, due to how sloppy they were.

I LOVED how Vancouver came out determined to hit Chara at every opportunity, and even smarter, to bump and hit Thomas whenever they had a shot to do so! The Nucks didnt look so hot either though.

Later

2. Sir Rodney

Hot Enough

Game 1 to the Nucks.

Thomas and Luongo were incredible. Both teams were very tentative at first trying to play the body at the expense of making offensive plays. Power plays were in abundance but neither team were able to capitalize.

70 shots on goal and 69 saves.

Not a particularly good game but a great result if you're a Canuck fan.

3. Original Beast

Original Beast 2nd Team All-Star

Game was so so. both teams looked a little sloppy at times. Van getting their legs going in the 3rd, had the better chances, and Thomas looked amazing. good win for Nucks, Boston showed they belong here, i think if the early chances had gone in on Thomas, it would have shaken the Bruins confidence. that did not happen.

PK good on both sides, Boston did nice job preventing the point shots from Van's D. hope Hamhuis can make it back. upset at Burrows for his stupid act of biting Bergeron - i dont care if it's in your mouth - cost us a penalty, and he might get suspended. sometimes burrows gets stupid, and the rat in him returns.

now we have to wait 3 days?? uggh.

4. m_peroni

m_peroni Hall of Fame

Very little skill in this game and just plain, crash and bang hockey, which made it fun, thank God. Otherwise it would have felt like the Devils-Stars Finals. Boring.

I thought the Bruins looked out of breath nearing the end. The goalies were great. I thought Thomas, the D, Recchi, Krejci, and Bergeron were very good for the Bruins. Lucic and Horton were nightmarish. Lucic played really bad hockey out there.

Luongo, Kessler, Hansen, and the D were great for Vancouver. The Sedins did fairly well, but not as much as i had expected. I think Burrows needs to be suspended for at least three games. What a sick, disgusting act he took.......... an animal.

I think both teams were just starting to get a feel of each other, and testing their limits. From now on, i think Vancouver will outplay Boston for the next three and bring the Cup out on the ice in the US, but back home to celebrate it.

5. Connecticut

Connecticut 1st Round Pick

I think if I'm Boston I'm pretty happy with the game I played, they're certainly not going to get blown out of this series -- although I think they knew that coming in, and so did anyone with half a brain. At the same time, if they're going to take this thing, they're going to have to pounce on their opportunities and tonight was a missed one. Could have easily gone either way and they may end up kicking themselves for letting this one slip through their fingers.

I'm not going to say much about the Burrows biting incident other than to say that if he gets suspended Bergeron would have to go for the same number of games. Facewashing is one thing, but it's so utterly unacceptable to jam your fingers in someone's mouth (especially wearing a dirty hockey glove) that he got exactly what he had coming to him. I don't condone the (alleged) bite, but how would most people react to having someone stick their fingers in your mouth? It's not like he reached out and bit him. If this is off the ice Bergeron could get sued for sexual assault. Not OK -- then whining about too. I'm a big fan of Bergeron, but he should point his finger at himself instead of sticking it where it doesn't belong. My guess is that there is no discipline coming out of this -- not that NBC wasn't lobbying for it (f$%&tards).

6. rikster

rikster 2nd Team All-Star

Lots of talk about how the Canucks would need a few periods to get their game legs back after playing just 5 games in the last 23 days...

The first two periods were dominated by the officials, and the third was dominated by the Canucks...

The Canucks management discussed Thomas playing outside of the blue ice and initiating contact with league officials before the series started, but judging by the phantom call on Burrrows it didn't do much good....

Burrows needs a talking to by the leadership group...He was wound up like a top and the biting incident if true was embarrassing...

The Bruins are a nasty piece of business with the way they use their sticks...

This game was a mulligan for all 3 sides, the officials, the Bruins and the Canucks ...None of the 3 had a very good game...

Take care...

7. maineblackbear

So, where are your other posts villifying fasewashing? Why choose now to complain? Actually, I think the answer to that is obvious.

There is precedent for a suspension....Marc Savard received a 1 game suspension for biting Dan Carcillos finger last year in game 2 of the Boston - Philly series....Carcillo got nothing.

And actually, the video clearly shows Burrows look at the official, and when the official turned his head, he lowered his head and bit Bergeron. That was clear as day.

But then again, we have different agendas with this situation....though precedent has clearly been established that the biter gets a suspension and the bitten does not.

Later

8. maineblackbear

Loved The Game

Despite the outcome, I have to say that I loved the game and many things about it...

1. The hitting on both sides. I loved how the teams came out and played physically.
    2. The defensive play by both teams. Both came out strong positionally.
    3. The Bruins effort in the 1st 2 periods...then their legs gave way in the 3rd.
    4. How close the game was overall, from opening face-off to the "closeness" of whether or not the play at the Bruin blueline was on or offside....my opinion is that the correct no call was made.
    5. The phenomenal play of Tim Thomas, and the great play with Luongo. The 2 best goaltenders in the game played excellent games.
    6. I loved the Canucks decision to hit Chara at every opportunity....they wore him down. Absolutely did.
    7. Loved the Chara-Seidenberg pairing. Totally eliminated the Sedin line from being effective.
    8. Hamhuis great check on Lucic....absolutely TEXTBOOK!

Things I didn't care for...and YES, this IS from my position as a Bruin fan!

1. The bite by Burrows. Bush league. Fashwashing happens EVERY game and biting does not result from them. Savard was suspended last season in game 3 of the Bruins-Flyers series for biting Carcillo.....Carcillo did not face a suspension.

2. I didn't realize how weak Sedin is, that he actually waited a second and then fell as if he was shot by a sniper, when Ference "crosschecked" him. I would have though a guy who is as sturdy as Sedin is, would not fall over as if ploeaxed!

3. Johnny Boychuks decision to be too aggressive trying to keep Kesler for getting the puck in those final 25 seconds. If he is going to make that decision, he absolutely MUST maintain puck-you-man positioning and not allow Kesler to slip by him.

4. Fans complaining that Krejci injured Hamhuis with his "crosscheck" to the upper arm. The injury actually occured during the check made on Lucic.

5. Why Julien split Chara and Seidenberg for that last shift, after they completely dominated play defensively all game.

Fun game, and I think the rest of the series will be as well!

Later

9. maineblackbear

I Dont Buy The Stick Issue

Our perspectives will obviously be different.

My take...

1. The crosscheck by Ference on Sedin was a joke. Sedin was hit with the stick on the arm, waited a second, then threw himself to the ice as if he was hit by a snipers bullet. SERIOUSLY???

2. The Krejci crosscheck on Hamhuis got him in the shoulder, and was barely thrown with any force.

However, both DID deserve penalties, as they WERE cross-checks. However, the reaction of Sedin was a freakin joke. No way in heck did that cross check by Ference result in Sedin being thrown to the ice.

As I said, we have different perspectives, which is fine....you see nasty stickwork, I see a diver. Even Jones, MaGuire and Milbury called it a blatant dive

Later

10. Die-hard1

Die-hard1 6th Round Pick

Re: I Dont Buy The Stick Issue

It was a dive - though the Bruins sure like taking liberties with the stick. Let's call a spade a spade - Ference cross-checked Sedin twice, both after the whistle, and Sedin dove after the second one. I don't like the diving at all, but two cross-checks after the whistle? Come on - that's a bit much. Of course, the 9 cross-checks (Healy counted them) on Daniel by Seidenberg were a bit much as well, but don't touch anybody's stick because that's a penalty. And the Krejci cross-check was a penalty, plain and simple - it was retaliation for the hit on Lucic. YOu have to call that, even it it is a love tap like that one was.

I thought it was a pretty terrible game over all, no flow to it which is to be expected given the long layoff and so many penalties called. I'd much rather see the refs let things go and let them play rather than make it a special teams battle, and I'm a fan of the team with better special teams.

Lastly - on the Burrows incident - it looked to me like he did bite, but it was very minor and Bergeron is making a big deal out of it. That said - you don't bite, but if somebody put his stinky, sweaty glove in my mouth, not only would I probably bite his hand, I would punch him in the face as hard as I could. Both classless moves by two players who should know better - Burrows is the only one getting any flak for it because he's not whining like Bergeron did. I have no idea if Burr gets a suspension, nobody really does given the NHL has no consistency - wouldn't be surprised if he goes, wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't.

11. Connecticut

All I'm saying is that there's a world of difference between facewashing and jamming your finger inside someone's mouth. Let's not pretend otherwise. It doesn't condone what Burrows did, but casting Bergeron as the victim is a little much here -- you stick your finger in someone's mouth you're going to get bitten, if you're going to whine about it then don't do it.

12. Connecticut

Sedin going down looked like a dive to me too, but if you look at the replay, the second before he gets cross-checked, he take a really hard slash to the ankle -- it surprises him, that's why he goes down. Not saying there was zero embellishment, but there was more there than initially meets the eye.

As for the game, I thought both teams played a fairly solid but conservative game. I thought the Canucks did a decent job limiting the Bruins scoring chances, especially second chances were not existent. I also disagree that Z and Seidenberg shut down the Sedins, they generated several very good scoring chances, including one 20 seconds into the game -- if they don't do a better in Game 2 they will be fishing it out of the back of the net. Kesler had a pretty solid game, especially breaking through the Boston D on the delayed call. Third line was very effective, I thought like vs. San Jose they won their match-up against their counterpart. And man was that crossbar from Edler late close! Great goaltending at both ends. A nail biter, but the flow in the game was inconsistent, I expect this series to improve in Game 2.

13. maineblackbear

I dont disagree with you one bit that everyone of those calls NEEDED to be made.

However, the dive by Sedin was a freaking joke. Cross checking occurs like crazy in every game...and guys are called for it. Any time an offensive player goes to the slot, they get cross checked in the neck a dozen times.

So, YES, I agree 100% that those hits WERE cross checks...without question.

All I am saying is that to call it "stickwork" with the implication that it was nasty in intent, is not at all accurate.

Later

14. maineblackbear

Bergeron was ASKED about the biting incident.

He did NOT bring it up. He responded to the question posed to him.

And again, Jones, Milbury and every commentator I have read or listened to, said that that should absolutely result in a suspension.

As I mentioned previously...Marc Savard earned a suspension in game 3 of the Bruins-Flyers series last spring, for an all but identical situation. Carcillo stuck his glove in Savvys mouth and Savvy bit him.

Weak, classless, scumbag move by Savard...absolutely. I believe Savvy was a punk-a** b***h for what he did.

Later

15. Connecticut

Here's a link to the Henrik incident, if you watch, you can see that Kelly clearly slashes him right before the forecheck.

And let's be clear -- Bergeron was absolutely whining about his finger to the referees. To me that's the same as dropping your gloves and then whining about getting punched. Don't want to get bit, don't stick your fingers in someone else's mouth. And for the record, if you look back at articles and threads about the Savard-Carcillo bite, Boston fans had a very different perspective on that one -- not saying you did, but certainly Bruins fans were calling Carcillo a maniac and excusing Savard's behavior.

http://i55.tinypic.com/n2hbo6.gif

16. Original Beast

Original Beast 2nd Team All-Star

too much talk about garbage! haha
    list goes:
    - burrows bites
    - henrik dives like a "sister"
    - kesler stops cuz he "knows' it's offside.

how bout
    - thomas embellishes (on the Burrows bump outside of the blue)
    - Bruins heavy stick work, including 7 consecutive cross checks to D. sedin (no call)

Bergeron looks like a baby whining about his little finger (did he check his nails too?) LOL

game 1, teams finally got to "know one another".

next game will be better. expect Van to adjust their Powerplay and score. Chara will wear done if we make him skate/turn more with very quick transition plays (seen in the 3rd by the Nucks/twins).

gonna be a great series.
    This post was edited on 6/2 9:21 AM by Original Beast

17. m_peroni

m_peroni Hall of Fame

What a bunch of BS. He intentionally put his fingers in Burrows's mouth? What a joke. He was face washing the guy and he opened his mouth to bite his finger. Don't give me this biased garbage. Come on. That's ridiculous.

18. m_peroni

m_peroni Hall of Fame

Bruins are nasty using their sticks? Chara got clipped twice and to do a high stick on a 6'9 guy your really need to lift that stick.

Again, biased.

19. Connecticut

You're making yourself look foolish. I'm done talking about the Burrows thing, looks like the league won't be suspending and it's time to move on to actual hockey. Having said that, you've clearly never seen a facewash in your life.

20. m_peroni

m_peroni Hall of Fame

I've only watched Avery and Ulf Samuelson doing it for years.

But yeah, it's better to move on or else it gets idiotic.

21. Sir Rodney

Burrows Issue Closed

Hi Gang,

I agree that this issue was beaten to death on this board. Apparently the NHL agrees to the point of not imposing any additional discipline. Hopefully by posting this we don't get in to another round of finger pointing (ouch, that slipped out).

Still going with Canucks in 5. Haven't seen anything to cast any doubts on that.

22. rikster

rikster 2nd Team All-Star

Your sorta being objective...

Thomas was guilty of diving when he flopped to the ice after the Burrows contact which you seem to be ok with...It worked only because the official standing beside the play kept the whistle in his pocket while the back official who is outside of the zone takes the bite and makes the call...The good news for the Bruins is that it took the Nucks off a 5 on 3 situation....

I think Hamhuis has a high ankle sprain which was likely from contact with Milan and had nothing to do with the cross check...

The Bruins were using their sticks as weapons all night long...The CBC feed isolated one of their dmen and he got in 7 consecutive cross checks on the same play without a penalty...

On to game 2...

Take care...

23. Trout Bum

Trout Bum ECHL

Actually, Savard DIDN'T receive a suspension for biting Carcillo. He did, however, receive a suspension for biting Darcy Tucker when he was with Atlanta.

Savard got no suspension for biting during the playoffs, even though he was a repeat offender. So there's your precedent - no suspension for biting during playoffs. I recall at the time too, alot of Boston fans defending Savard and saying Carcillo deserved it for sticking his fingers in Savards mouth, much like Canucks fans are doing now.

I'm not defending or condoning what Burrows did, by the way. It was stupid and immature. In the grand scheme of things though, I think it's a pretty minor transgression and is being blown out of proportion. A boo boo on ones finger really doesn't compare with the many potentially career ending concussions we see from dirty hits these days.

24. Die-hard1

Die-hard1 6th Round Pick

Sometimes I have no idea what planet you are on Peroni - who said anything about the Chara high-sticks? Yes they were high-sticks, and both got called. Where's the controversy here?

Oh ya - you may remember that none of the Boston players were called for it.

25. maineblackbear

Sorry....it was an Ottawa-Buffalo game.

Andrew Peters maybe? He was bitten by Ruutu and a 2 game suspension was the result.

Savard was suspended for biting as well.

My only question is, if they have suspended for biting in the past, why decide now, to not suspend another biter?

I think anyone who bites is a weak, gutless coward....YES, Marc Savard is a gutless coward for biting. Said it then, said it now.

Same hold true for the rat...Burrows. Gutless coward. Anyone who bites should be out for more than 2 games as well.

Later

26. Trout Bum

Trout Bum ECHL

Lol, they didn't decide now. They decided last year - when Savard bit Carcillo. Savard bit Carcillo during the playoffs and didn't get suspended. That set the precedent you're speaking of.