Stanley Cup Finals Game 3

Discussion in 'Hockey Talk' started by m_peroni, Jun 6, 2011.

1. m_peroni

m_peroni Hall of Fame

Rome should never play an NHL game, period. Absolutely disgusting.

2. Sir Rodney

Oh for crying out loud Mick, that's ridiculous.

Here we go again with the cry for the length of the penalty to be determined by the result rather than the infraction.

Our sympathies and prayers are with Horton and we all hope for his speedy recovery. Unfortunately, he was going north/south and didn't keep his head up which left him vulnerable to an open ice hit which is what the defender's job is as a team enters the defensive zone. There was no more than a second's delay between his pass and the hit. That certainly was enough for an interference call. The emotions of the injury resulted in five and a game, again understandable. To go to the extent that you are advocating is uncalled for. PERIOD!!!

3. m_peroni

m_peroni Hall of Fame

Oh please. Horts went on for like 10 feet after that pass. Rome aimed at his head and even left his feet off the ice. The guy should be gone for at least 10 games for interference, charging, leaving his feet of the ice, and aiming at his head.

4. Connecticut

Connecticut 1st Round Pick

You're a drama queen Mick. The hit was late and should be a penalty and probably will be a suspension. How late? According to TSN 28/30ths of a second after he passed the puck. The cut off established by the league is 20/30ths of a second. So the margin of difference is 8/30ths of a second. Blink of an eye. Rome had no malicious intent, it was a fast and nasty game and he made a bad hit. He got the 5 and a game like he deserved. Bottom line is that I hope Nathan Horton is ok, best wishes to him. Scott Stevens got applauded for hits like that but the NHL has changed the rules and I think rightly so. But let's not be preadolescent schoolgirls about it, ok?

As for the game, good for Boston. They've now outscored the Canucks 10-5 but trail the series 2-1. They could've used some of those goals in Vancouver. I actually thought it was a pretty even game through almost 2 periods. Vancouver didn't play all that badly although they made some boneheaded plays at times. Thomas was huge keeping the Canucks off the board until it was way too late. Ehrhoff may have played the worst game of his career, although he's coming off an injury and has had a lot more good ones than bad ones so I'll give him a pass.

For all the talk of special teams, the Canucks' PP has been pitiful. The PK unit killed off 5 minutes and they had several glorious opportunities to take control of the game and failed. If anything they were giving Boston momentum (and 2 shorthanded goals). Then again, it's one game and they all count the same, so forget about it and move on to Game 4. They're still in perfectly good position to get a split on the road and take a 3-1 lead home to Vancouver. I'm finally starting to get a good hate on the Bruins - Lucic, Ference, Peverley -- looking forward to tasting all their delicious tears when we win the Stanley Cup on home ice in Game 5.

Best wishes to Nathan Horton, hope he feels better soon.

5. Original Beast

Original Beast 2nd Team All-Star

You're over-reacting Peroni...but that hit is SUPER late. called it when i saw it, and that there'd be a suspension. I'm no fan of Rome, but he's not a dirty player, and was likely riled up by Marchant earlier and over did it. I suspect a 2 game suspension, which actually i feel is fare, and believe it or not, i think would benefit Vancouver - so AV has to play Ballard and Tanev. =)

that said, what a stinker of a game by Vancouver. great 1st period. Rome hit definitely helped inspire the Bruins further, but they were ready for a great game, and they played a hard solid game, and obviously deserved this win.

things i hated in this game:
    - Rome hit
    - seeing Horton carried out in a stretcher (my best wishes for his recovery)
    - terrible play by Erhoff and Edler - YUK
    - 1st 2 lines on Van lost focus getting into scrums with Bruins players
    - terrible PP - why did AV have 2 R handers and 2 L handers on the sets of pp's??
    - mistake to leave Louie in there after the 4th. rest him, dont' wreck his confidence (or worse give the Bruins more confidence - which is the greater danger)
    - mistake to dress 2 slow defense-men in Alberts and Rome in a game this important. (i've proposed dressing 7 D for quite some time, given how often we end up down to 5 Defencemen and that our 4th line doenst play much anyways).
    - Luongo and the team giving up completely after 3-0
    - reffing sucked - bad calls on both sides, i couldnt tell what was called, and why others were not.

things liked:
    - great effort and 2nd efforts on the backcheck by Bruins
    - Salo somehow a plus+1 in this 8-1 debacle, guy still manages to stay solid when everyone else flails
    - smart move by Julien putting THornton in there , gave them good energy
    - fantastic game by Thomas - if he isnt' this good, especially early, there's no way it's an 8-1 win for Bruins, likely a bizzarre high scoring mess, given the numerous give aways and breakaways (Thomas stopped 3 alone)
    - LOVE that hit Thomas put on Henrik, hilarious even for a nucks fan.
    This post was edited on 6/6 9:03 PM by Original Beast

6. rikster

rikster 2nd Team All-Star

The hit was late and for that he got 5 and a game, he was doing what the Canucks have been very good at doing all season long...standing up at the blue line....

Unfortunate that Horton got hurt...

You knew something was going to happen, what with Thornton running around beaking at the Nucks bench and the Bruins continuing to wage war with their sticks, I've taken a real dislike for Seidenberg who has a nasty habit of two handing players from behind...

So Julien sez his team is above the taunting? Sure they are...

So if a player body checks Thomas with the puck in front of him while he is outside the net that would be a penalty, but Thomas can throw a body check and that's ok?

As Jeff would say, its off to game 4.....

Take care..

7. Trout Bum

Trout Bum ECHL

Even as a Canuck fan, I think Rome should be suspended. A lifetime ban is a bit much of course, but the remainder of the playoffs might be appropriate.

It was a late hit, and initial contact was to the head. Rome didn't leave his feet (popped up as a result of the contact) and didn't use his elbow, but it was a late hit to the head.

I hate seeing a player laying on the ice like that.

8. maineblackbear

maineblackbear 1st Team All-Star

SERIOUSLY???

The video clearly shows him throw himself up at Hortons head...late (Horton was able to take 3 strides and just uner 2 seconds passed from when he passed the puck to Lucic)...it was to the head, and it was blind.

Deserves the rest of the series and 1st 10 to 20 games of next season.

Later

9. maineblackbear

I Take That Trade Off ANY Day If I Am Nucks

7th, 8th, 9th d man for Bruins overall leading goalscorer and best postseason clutch player?

If I am Vignault, I take that trade off any time.

The hit is one thing. But talk about arrogance...

As Julien said yesterday morning, the Bruins dropped the biting incident prior to game 2. "The NHL ruled on that incident. We dropped it. They decided to make a mockery of the league, the ruling, and of us as a team and individuals. They took it to a different level. Thats up to them. But they have to play us again tonight."

However, the Vancouver Canucks didnt. They MOCKED the NHL, the Bruins and Patrice Bergeron, with the garbage that LaPierre, Hansen and others did by sticking their fingers in the face of Bergeron over and over in game 2.

Just more proof that they KNOW that Burrows absolutely DID INTENTIONALLY bite Bergeron. As the video clearly shows, Bergeys glove NEVER went into Burrows mouth...it was ON his mouth and chin. The official turns his head to say something to Bergeron, and you clearly see Burrows look at the official, open his mouth, lower his head, clamp down on Bergeys finger and move his own glove (Burrows) over the fingers to hide what he was doing. When the official started turning his head back, Burrows then released Bergeys glove.

And talk about diving and embellishment.

As Keith Jones said, "Great hit by Ference on Sedin. Shoulder to shoulder and Sedin goes down...grabbing his head for some strange reason. Nothing was anywhere near his head."

And Burrows himself...slashes Tim Thomas on the glove a full 2 seconds after the whistle. Lucic gives him a baby tap slash to the skate...Burrows predictable reaction is to scream in anguish, as if he too has been shot by Seal Team 6.

If Vancouver wasnt the favorite and looking as if they were a shoo in to win this thing....Aaron Rome just clinched it.

Boston will fight. They will show up. They will bring everythingthey have.

But Aaron Rome just clinched the Cup with that cheapshot.

Later
    This post was edited on 6/7 3:21 AM by maineblackbear

10. maineblackbear

Bullcrap!

There was enough time for the pass to already be on Lucics stick...

There was enough time for Horton tohave already taken 3 full strides...

There was enough time for Rome to target the head of a player who should not have to have his head up because he got rid of the puck LONG BEFORE the hit.

Great job justifying...

Would have liked to see Sedin leave the ice the same way...wonder what you'd say then.

You'd be screaming for the Bruin to be suspended.

Later

11. maineblackbear

Yup, The Bruins HAVE Played Chippy, But I Notice...

But I notice that you NEVER mention both sides of it...

You call out Thornton for barking at the Nucks bench.

What don't you acknowledge? Oh, thats right...LaPierre and others MOCKING the NHL ruling on the bite by taunnting Bergeron over and over in game 2. Their actions screamed out, "Yup, he bit him and we know it, you know it too! Ha ha."

You love to talk about the Bruins stickwork...

What do you NOT mention...how about the Bieska crosscheck to the back of Peverleys head, which immediately precipitated his slash to the back of Bieskas foot...which, predictably, resulted in a Vancouver player falling as if shot.

How about the Hansen spear in Campbells groin? No mention of that, huh? I WILL mention Marchards spear to Keslers groin...because I'll call it as it happens.

And you mention the Thomas check on Sedin.

What didnt you mention? How about how everytime they drive the net, a Vancouver player throws himself on the ice, sliding into Thomas driving him into the post. Thats happened, what? Appraoching 10 times this series? Happened once or twice to Luongo?

How about Torres?

You didnt mention his hit on McQauid...launching himself at McQuaids head and shoulder area, as a Canuck player had his arms wrapped around his ankles, having no ability to move and avoid the hit.

You make the Canucks seem like little angels.

However, as everyone is saying, the Canucks dive incessently. They love to hit you and deliver a big shot....however, when a team wont back down from them, and returns fire with big hits....they act like Seal Team 6 just located them and is sniping at them.

I will absolutely acknowledge the Bruins chippiness and stickwork.

However, here is REALITY...Vancopuver has been easily as chippy and stickwielding as the Bruins.

Plus they give you the added bonus of repeated diving.

Vancouver has always been my favorite team outside of the Bruins. And I DO love some of these guys. But man, there are some serious cowaards on that team...starting with Alexandre Burrowes himself.

He is the master of the slash and cry move.....slash the goalies hand and then cry when someone bigger comes along aqnd treats you like a rag doll.

Later

12. maineblackbear

I Apologize

Sir Rodney,

I apologize for the tone of my post. May have been a bit harsh, however, I can't believe how the Bruins are being made out to be this group of stick artists, when the fact is that they are doing nothing that Vancouver is not doing.

Thats all I`'ll say right now.

Later

13. rikster

Re: Yup, The Bruins HAVE Played Chippy, But I Notice...

If the Nucks made a mockery of the NHL in game 2, then what did the Bruins do in game 3, especially after their coach stuck his chest out and said his team wouldn't stoop to something so low?...

Given the brutality of the games and if the Nucks are a team of divers, then what's with Bergeron whining about his finger?...He looked like a sissy skating to the box holding out his finger...The Nucks players were giving it to him for embellishing a minor incident..

The Bruins are looking to goon it up in hopes the Nucks respond in kind and get away from what they do best...They began in game 1 and it always seems to be from behind...

My question about Thomas was just that, a question...As far as Nucks running him over, if he stayed anywhere near his crease you'd have a point but he's causing chaos in front of him because he comes so far out and he never gets set before the contact...Its like a goalie who likes to get to the top of the blue paint to take away the deflection, only Thomas is getting half way between the top of his crease and the blue line...

Last night the breaks went Boston's way and their goals were quick...Even as the score kept climbing I never got the feeling that the Bruins had figured out a way to deal with the Nucks speed and skill, it was just one of those nights similar to others like it ...when the Nucks fall on their faces they take a big fall...

You say you like the Nucks, well Boston was my team growing up so I'm in a similar situation...

The only thing that worries me about Boston is Thomas..

Take care....

14. rikster

Bieksa...

I re read your post and need you to clarify one of your remarks...

Were you suggesting that Bieksa was embellishing the two hander Peverley gave him on the back of his leg?....

If you were, that would be the first time the words embellish and Bieksa were used in the same sentence...

Take care...

15. maineblackbear

Nope. Not Saying That

I dont think Bieska would ever embellish anything.

What I AM saying, is that Bieska crosschecked Peverley in the back of the head, seconds before Peverley gave that nasty slash to the back of his leg.

I think BOTH actions were flat out wrong.

Later

16. Die-hard1

Die-hard1 6th Round Pick

Re: Bieksa...

Mick and Jeff are a couple of babies - they act like their sh*t don't stink after a questionable hit. Remember Dan Paille, Jeff? Were you calling for 20 games after his absolutely disgusting, gutless hit on Sawada? I think not.

Regardless - Rome's hit was late, and it was interference. I don't like hits like that, period, so I agree there should be and likely will be a suspension. Rome isn't that kind of player typically, but he was here. He'll get his suspension.

As for the game - all I can say is the series is 2-1 Vancouver. The game was awful, they played horribly, and I feel bad for Lu because 7 of the 8 goals he had absolutely no chance - but they are still leading the series.

I like that I hate the Bruins - they are chippy, love to slash behind the play, and have a ton of gutless babies on their team. Julien's 'holier than though' routine before the game, where he assured everybody that his team would never 'mock' the NHL's rulings, was comical - Lucic and Recchi both 'mocked' the NHL in the game. Yet another Boston baby.

All this said - and yes I'm more fired up than usual given it's the finals - but I like the animosity in this series. As I said before the series, I hate Boston fans (not the city, their sports fans) more than just about any other fans - they are whiny babies who always seem to get their way. It's nice to see Bruins fans and media are no different.

17. maineblackbear

Nope...Not 20

Not 20 games, but I said a minimum 7 games.

Just as I called for 3 to 5 for Marchand when he threw his elbow from behind.

Later

18. maineblackbear

Whiney Babies?

Whiney babies?

Try these on for size:

Burrows: bites; slashes Thomas glove 3 seconds after the whistle, then acts like he was shot when Lucic slashed his boot.

Sedin: Gets hit shoulder to shoulder by Ference. He collapses to the ice grabbing his HEAD! Nothing touched his head...not Ference, not the ice....NOTHING.

Whiny babies? Maybe you should look closer at your own team. They dive incessently. It never stops.

Later

19. Connecticut

Re: Whiney Babies?

It's probably not worth even getting into this, but it's hard because you're so far out to lunch you won't be home until after dinner. Having said that, I absolutely will cut you some slack because I know I would be wildly overreacting too if the hit had gone the other way. But let's make no mistake, these are your emotions talking, you're not right about almost anything you say.

The hit was not 2 seconds late. It was less than one. It was less than one third of a second late. It was interference. It deserved a 5 minute major. It deserves the same suspension as Chara deserved for his hit on Pacioretty. The NHL decided zero, I would have given more then and I would give more now.

And not to wade into the slapfest, but the Ference hit on Sedin a) was not shoulder to shoulder, he clearly raises his elbow, and more importantly, b) the whistle had already gone on an icing call -- which Ference obviously knew because he had got the icing call -- if Sedin hits Ference there, shoulder to shoulder or not, that's a penalty, because the play is over. Why would it be different the other way around?

20. Sir Rodney

Re: SERIOUSLY???

Get off your high horse Jeff. You can delude yourself with the Bruins good, Canucks bad crap all you want but enough is enough with beating some of these dead horses. Bad Lapierre for taunting. No Bruins would do that - wait a minute, two of them did last night. Bruins don't hack and cross check - it's all Canucks diving and embellishing. This Bruins as victims stuff gets old very quickly.

As for the time between the puck leaving and the Rome hit it wasn't just under 2 seconds. They did a video analysis using the slow motion frame count. For one second there are 30 frames. The hit took place after 28/30 of a second. The NHL standard for a late hit is 20/30 so it was definitely late. That's why he got an interference penalty. The shoulder made contact with the head which is why he got the five and a game. All of which is not up for debate. The "throw himself up at Hortons head" stuff is your interpretation of events which may satisfy you but I don't buy that. Watch the video and freeze it at the 36 second mark. At this point Rome's shoulder is in contact with Horton's head but both of his feet are on the ice. Any upward motion came afterwards. If Horton had kept his head up going north/south into the attacking zone as he is supposed to do, the contact would have been with the shoulder area and it would likely have resulted in a 2 minute minor for interference for the 8/30 second late hit. All of the rest of this crap about long term suspensions are a product of your biases. Mick doesn't see shades of grey. For him it is all black and white. In your case, you add some yellow to the mix.

Our thoughts and prayers remain with Horton and we wish him a speedy recovery.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUYqTE3cnuQ

21. maineblackbear

Fine.

Give both of them the penalties they deserved...Ference for an elbow, and Sedin for his upteen millionth dive of the series.

Later

22. maineblackbear

3 strides Rodney.....3 strides.

Thats how many FULL strides Horton was able to take BEFORE Rome got to him.

2 strides....thats how many FULL Strides with the puck Lucic was able to make after receiving the pass, before Horton got hit.

The video also shows Horton looking at Lucic, looking for a return pass.

Seriously, if the pass receiver has the time to collect a pass and take 2 strides....the hit is unacceptably late.

Later

23. Connecticut

Rome gets 4 games. That's fine with me. But I have yet to hear a coherent explanation why Rome gets 4 and Chara gets 0?

Late hit? Check.
    Serious injury? Check.
    Norris trophy candidate? Hmm...

24. maineblackbear

Cant answer that.

Should have been suspended...just as the NHL could have avoided this entirely had they done the right thing and suspended Burrows for his bite. Heck, LaPierres mocking of the ruling and the Bruins shows that the Canucks know that Burrows bit intentionally. They thought it was a joke.

On the flipside, Marchand and Paille were suspended for their infractions. And the Bruins have seen Bergeron, Savard, Krejci and now Horton carted off on stretchers over the past 3 seasons.

They have been on both sides of the equation.

Later

25. Die-hard1

Die-hard1 6th Round Pick

Excuse me? Watch the replay on the Daniel hit - elbow to the face. It was plain as day on the HNIC replay - easy to see.

Lucic punched Burr in the face - not saying he didn't have it coming after the Thomas slash, but keep in mind that Lucic slashed Edler twice in the legs on his way up the ice before slashing Burr and then punching him in the face.

The only difference is the Nucks don't pull a Bergeron and whine to the media after the game - that's why Boston are whiny babies.

26. Die-hard1

Die-hard1 6th Round Pick

You're joking again right? You bring up the Lapierre mocking incident yet nothing about Recchi and Lucic last game who mocked even more? I guess that's not a joke, it only is when the Canucks do it? How about after your whiny coach whines about it after game 2, saying his team would never do that, then two separate players do it the next game?

I admit I am not objective about my team, but Jeff you always have been and always will be the biggest homer on this board.

27. m_peroni

m_peroni Hall of Fame

lol whiney baby... look who is whining about the hit not being dirty. As if no Nucks fan whined about McGuin's hit on Rome in the Sharls series.

I find it laughable.

I'm consistent enough in saying that all of these hits deserve more punishment. I've been saying it since the Scott Stevens days. I've stressed even more when it happened to Booth and nothing was done, but when it happened to Savard then it was a big deal and something HAD to be done. Of course who cares about the lower end teams, but definitely care about a top player on a big team.

Whiny baby my ass. I've seen too many players have their careers hindered for careless bums like Rome. I think they should be out the same amount of time that the player is out. That'll get them thinking even before initiating such a hit.

28. Die-hard1

Die-hard1 6th Round Pick

Where do you get some of this stuff - you don't even read my posts then you respond to them. I didn't say once that the hit wasn't dirty - once again you put words in my mouth, which you do in basically every response you ever make - I said it was a suspendable offense and he got what he deserved.

You sure didn't stress much when Chara almost ended Pacioretty's career now did you?

Rome is out for the same time Horton is out - he's missing the rest of the playoffs, just like Horton. It's game over for both of them.

29. m_peroni

m_peroni Hall of Fame

Oh, i absolutely blasted Chara for it and took it to Jeff too. Apparently you don't read my posts either.

30. Sir Rodney

31. Die-hard1

Die-hard1 6th Round Pick

Re: Nope. Not Saying That

Hey Jeff - the video is attached below - where exactly did Bieksa cross-check Peverley in the head? Looks to me like a love tap to the rump - and I think it would be almost impossible to disagree.

Gutless play by a gutless little weasel. Call the antics by Burrows and Lapierre wrong - and I agree they are - at least the Canucks don't have anybody who does garbage like this.
    This post was edited on 6/8 6:07 AM by Die-hard1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FGVDr1Nd8o

32. Die-hard1

Die-hard1 6th Round Pick

Again, no mention of an apology for putting words in my mouth - not surprised.

Sorry if I don't remember you getting on your high-horse 8 months ago during the Chara hit.

33. maineblackbear

Really???

How about Hansens 2 hander to a defenseless Krejci?

Later

34. Connecticut

Upon further review, you completely fabricated Bieksa's cross check to Peverley's head. Your credibility is down to zero for me at this point -- I had been taking your word even if I thought you were exaggerating, but if you're just going to make things up then what's the point?

35. Die-hard1

Die-hard1 6th Round Pick

Do you have video for that? I didn't see it and I've watched every minute of the series - I've even provided video that showed you were dead wrong but you didn't reply.

Please provide a link, video, something - I'd actually like to see this act because I honestly don't remember it.