Stanley Cup Finals Game 5

Discussion in 'Hockey Talk' started by Connecticut, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Connecticut

Connecticut
    Expand Collapse
    1st Round Pick

Just a short one for me for now... Apparently I can hold my breath for a VERY long time. Great game! By both teams. How was that for a big FU by Luongo to practically the entire world! History is made!

Just wanted to add, from twitter:

Bieksa on Tanev: he could've played with a cigarette in his mouth, he's so calm and cool out there
    This post was edited on 6/10 8:17 PM by Connecticut

2. rikster

rikster
    Expand Collapse
    2nd Team All-Star

When is a spear not a spear?

Regarding the Chara spear on Lapierre, tho outcry is yet another example of a Canuck player embellishing but in reality the rule book says that a spear does not even have to make contact for it to be a penalty and that a double minor shall be called when no contact is made...

Were in the city for a few days and with the game last night and the UFC fight tonight, the city is over the top crazy...

Over 100,000 on the streets to watch the game and as my wife and I ventured out into the streets after the game it seemed like none of those fans had gone home...

For a city that was for so long known as the no fun city, they sure have tuned it around in a big way!...

Take care...

This post was edited on 6/11 8:06 AM by rikster

3. Die-hard

Die-hard
    Expand Collapse
    MVP

I was at the game last night - the arena was electric! Great to see the fan support, and great to see the Nucks getting back to their game. They kept the Bruins to the outside almost the whole game, and Lu swallowed up the shots that did get through. Well played game, though it sure wasn't easy to watch with only one goal scored - they sure like making it tough on us fans!

The Nucks now have 2 chances to win the cup - let's hope they can pull it off.

4. m_peroni

m_peroni
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Fame

It was a slight spear and Chara should be fined for it at least. Floppiere made himself look like a fool, but who looked worse was Burrows. The guy has no class...no integrity...no sportsmanship. I'm disgusted with this guy.

5. rikster

rikster
    Expand Collapse
    2nd Team All-Star

Lapierre shouldn't have to embellish to draw a foul, the foul was made by Chara and should have been called...

Kerry Fraser pretty much explained it, regardless if it's a foul or not if you get in the refs bad books you will not get a call...

So the players embellish to try and force the calls and fans like you get all hot and bothered by the embellishment rather than the missed calls...

Get hot and bothered over the missed calls and there would be less of the other stuff...

Chara will not get fined, and if he does even more reason why your mad at the wrong culprits...

Take care...

6. Die-hard

Die-hard
    Expand Collapse
    MVP

Of course, if he was on the Rangers or Panthers he'd be fine. He'd also be fine if he slahed, went for knees, hit after the whistle, cross-checks in the back, etc - but embellishment is horrible!

Of course - Marchand flopping every game, Chara throwing his head back on a highstick like he's been shot (twice in one game), same with Ference, Seidenberg flopping to get a call in game 4 - but it's only Burrows and Lapierre doing any flopping! Those Canucks and trying to ruin the game's integrity - while the Bruins are a bunch of choir boys! Never mind the track records of both teams, and the many more times the Bruins have been disciplined over the years, never mind Paille and almost killing a kid earlier this year (who had to have his face and shoulder reconstructed and still isn't playing) - it's all the Canucks!

Me being a big soccer fan and you being Italian you really are the pot calling the kettle black -your national soccer team is right up there as the worst embellishers in the world, miles worse than anything Burrows or any hockey player does.

Burrows has got what was coming for him - he hasn't received a call from the refs in a few games now. They are wise to his games - the rest of the fans out there who keep calling him classless, etc., should just be quiet already.

You aren't the only one doing this Peroni but you've definitely been the most vocal on this board, so you get the rant directed at you. With all the crap in the media out there you'd think the Canucks are the biggest divers, whiners, dirtiest team ever in history - and I'd love to say that all these people need to wake the hell up.

7. Original Beast

Original Beast
    Expand Collapse
    2nd Team All-Star

yeah, guys like Hamhuis, Salo, Edler, Erhoff, Maholtra, Henrik and Daniel are SUCH big whiners, divers, dirty evil players. =0)

This is all media garbage - interviewing losers like Roenick and Bolland for "fair comment"?? yeah.
    Bruins, Flyers, Blackhawks have been historically the dirtiest teams in the NHL. you can add Anaheim to the goon list as well. and i'd say who cares if they are ? but Vancouver doesnt quite qualify. =0)

anyhow, back to the game - a great game, almost destroyed by crap-ass refereeing again. 4 straight garbage calls?? until the blatant trip, i didn't think Van was really gonna get a single call! and this in Vancouver?? how can a fan have any faith but to expect the worst when monday night comes along??

This is what i say to my Canucks - EXPECT the ice to be bad, and you've got to skate twice as hard to get anywhere. EXPECT that the bounces to go against you, that you have to earn your breaks. EXPECT Thomas to stand on his head. KNOW that you'll have to fight thru all the crap, take that punch in the face, slash behind the calves. KNOW that the calls will go against you perhaps the entire game. BUT fight thru this, overcome this, bear with this for just ONE MORE GAME, and the Cup might be ours. There is nothing to hold back now.

8. m_peroni

m_peroni
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Fame

In other words, you are justifying dives and embellishments.

9. Trout Bum

Trout Bum
    Expand Collapse
    ECHL

In other words, you're justifying slashing and crosschecking?

10. m_peroni

m_peroni
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Fame

Excuse me? What's with the insults now?

I think you guys only read what you want to. I called Marchand dirty already. I stated many times that Avery is not a player i like. I blasted Chara with his hit on Pacioretty.

Boston fans shouldn't complain as much about Floppiere and Burrows because Recchi was the master of all divers. Now not as much though.

Look, you guys are knowledgeable hockey fans and i am upset at the bias on here you guys are showing. Jeff has always been picked on for his blind love with the Bruins.

What i've seen so far in the post-season is you guys complaining about the refs in every series. Burrows has been a despicable player, diving.... taking cheap shots as well, and so far no one has criticized him for real. I mean, putting his log over Lucic's stick on the face off and falling backwards is ridiculous. But none of you made any mentioning on that.

I've always called out dirty players, cheap players, divers and what not. Always. Yet i do that now and just because it's Vancouver in the Finals you guys are all over me about it. It's ridiculous. It's a joke.

And for you to talk about Italy and soccer? What the F is up with that!? Every country in soccer dives anyway. Unfortunately it's the soccer culture.

This is hockey, though. It's a great sport, a classy sport, a sportsmanship sport. And to see Burrows continue his classless antics in the Finals is bothersome. I had to deal with Avery pulling this kind of crap in his first stint with the Rangers.

But you guys defend him and attack the ones that criticize him rightfully. Well then....the hell with this then.... it gets to become a stupid one-sided place to discuss hockey.

11. m_peroni

m_peroni
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Fame

Only if someone does the same before, then yeah. If someone slashes my stick, i slash him back. If someone crosschecks me, i'll crosscheck him back.

That would be my only justification. Justifying diving, in other words cheating, is disgusting.

12. m_peroni

m_peroni
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Fame

Four straight garbage calls? LOL.... Torres did not trip then, right? And ALberts did not go high on his check. And Burrows did nothing wrong in putting his leg over Lucic's stick and falling backwards as if he stepped on a banana?

You guys just ruined this message board. What a joke. Have fun.

13. Die-hard

Die-hard
    Expand Collapse
    MVP

Sorry, Burrows is now throwing cheapshots? Where exactly? Let me guess - punching Thomas after getting a slash in the ankle? Having the balls to go after Chara after getting punching in the back of the head twice?

Hey, I'm all for calling Burrows a flopper - he is and we all know it. The refs know it too, that's why they don't even call legit calls against him. I'm fine with that. To compare him to Avery? That's a friggin joke, they aren't even in the same class of agitator.

I've said many times, Burrows is an annoying little crap to play against - he yaps, dives and gets in your face. He absolutely, definitely, in no way is a dirty player though - he doesn't hit late, he doesn't throw elbows, he doesn't go after knees. Those are all things that Paille, Ott, Avery, Cooke and the rest of the dangerous guys in the NHL do, and do quite often. Burrows does not.

If you want to call him a flopped, a diver or whatever go ahead - when you call him a dirty player you quite simply don't know anything about him.

As for one-sided discussion - you come on here and every single post is about how dirty the Canucks are, how they are floppers, etc - quite simply if you keep posting like that you can expect Canucks fans to keep disagreeing. If you don't like it then feel free to either leave the board or expect the same reaction.
    This post was edited on 6/12 1:13 PM by Die-hard

14. Die-hard

Die-hard
    Expand Collapse
    MVP

Even the noted Bruin lover and Canuck hater, Don Cherry, had a piece on Coach's Corner about the refs not calling anything for the Canucks. He showed a replay where the Bruins had 6 skaters on the ice for almost 5 seconds, and the 6th guy touched the puck - no call.

The Alberts call was garbage as well, the Torres trip was a Boston player flopping like Burrows does - I should know, I was sitting about 10 feet away. But it's only the Canucks, right?

We are biased, and so are you. Your pro-Bruin bias is just as prevalent as Nuck fans and their pro-Nuck bias - you've done nothing but criticize the Canucks this whole series. Of course, like I said previously, you can't see it, so all of us must be biased while you're just telling it like it is.

As for your last comment - I think you just proved why I called you a whiny baby earlier during this series. If you can't take the heat..........

15. Connecticut

Connecticut
    Expand Collapse
    1st Round Pick

Mick, if anyone is ruining this message board it is you. Feel free to excuse yourself from the conversation anytime you like because all you're adding is whining BS. Like I said earlier, I expect that from fans of the teams, because emotions are high and everyone's going to be a homer. But you've got no excuse for responding like a hysterical New Jersey housewife to practically everything.

Please explain to me what rule you would use to assess Burrows a penalty? The "no jockeying for position on the faceoff rule"?

Most of the time I find it pretty easy to ignore your nonsense, but you keep inserting yourself into every conversation here to the point where it derails things on virtually every thread. I can't tell you what to do, but I'd certainly appreciate it if you just shut up.

Vancouver fans have their team in a position that most have been dreaming to see their team in for decades. It's hardly surprising that we're going to get a little worked up and see things in a biased manner. Even then, I think that for the most part, everyone here has been well within the bounds of reason, even if we skew heavily towards the Canucks. Why is that a problem for you -- ruining the message board? Then go find another one.

16. Original Beast

Original Beast
    Expand Collapse
    2nd Team All-Star

hey Peroni,

those calls were WEAK. and we've seen them time and time again ignored, and let go by officials. to call them on one side, 4 in a row is embarassing to the game. i'm not ruining the board. your oversensitivity is. first calling for Rome to be suspended for 25 games or whatever you said. yeah, ignore the Chara spear, ignore the too many men. ingore the Chara and seidenberg cross check. there's was no evidence for the Torres trip, even on replays (at least none that canadian television saw. the Alberts high stick?? we saw lots of stuff like that from Bruins players. i wouldn 't expect that call on either team. the Burrows/lucic thing, i'm fine with it, but it was 2 guys fighting for position - at least both got nailed - but you can't deny lucic slewfooting. the kesler interference penatly?? yeah, kesler is so powerful to knock the strongest biggest player over to wipe Thomas out. that is weak. and this is the finals, and lots of that stuff wasn't called on Bruins players. tha'ts why i'm upset, and i'm entitled to be upset. even throwing out our top centerman on the final faceoff in a 1-0 game was unnecessary- let the teams decide it, call it the SAME way on BOTH teams.

17. Die-hard

Die-hard
    Expand Collapse
    MVP

But Beast, Chara must have nailed Thomas after Kesler, being 350 pounds, pushed him - because the Bruins players never playact!

The coverage this series is an embarrassment - all I can say is the Nucks need 1 more win, and all of this can be put behind us. Hopefully they can pull it off!

18. Original Beast

Original Beast
    Expand Collapse
    2nd Team All-Star

hey DH,

i have a very good feeling about Monday. i can't explain it, but i just know the Van players WILL NOT let anything but their will and desire to win to decide this.

19. Trout Bum

Trout Bum
    Expand Collapse
    ECHL

Yeah, but "Flopierre" didn't spear Chara first. Burrows didn't crosscheck Seidenberg first, and he didn't haul down Lucic in the face-off circle first. I don't see your point here at all.

20. m_peroni

m_peroni
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Fame

Oh God. Me pro-Bruins? A Rangers fan pro-Bruins? When i'll be anti-WC team against the Devils in a Finals then you'd be correct.

I can take the heat. What i will not put up with is someone insulting my country, that's for sure. You're not even challenging me there, but insulting, and that's where i draw the line and not bother dealing with it. I'm disappointed. I don't play those silly games and this was the last place where i'd expect it from. Unfortunately i was wrong.

21. maineblackbear

maineblackbear
    Expand Collapse
    1st Team All-Star

It Was A Dive

Did Chara make contact? Possibly. And he should absolutely be fined IF he made contact with LaPierre.

But LaPierre is disgusting. How can you look yourself in the mirror after that display?

SERIOUSLY?

The "spear" if you could even call it that MAYBE touched him. And again a Canuck acted as if he were clubbed over the head a dozen times by Georges St. Pierre.

Disgusting.

Later

22. maineblackbear

maineblackbear
    Expand Collapse
    1st Team All-Star

Funny

Funny how you talk about too many men ignore...

I ASSUME that you are talking about the too many men, when Vancouver had SEVEN men on the ice...right? The one that was IGNORED??

If not, then you are being incredibally hyposcritical!

Later

23. maineblackbear

maineblackbear
    Expand Collapse
    1st Team All-Star

Ohhh...NOW, I Understand!

How did I not get it before...

1. Burrows throwing himself backwards after sticking his leg over Lucic was because he believed the Bruins get every call and he needed to embellish to get the call.

2. Henrik Sedin throwing himself to the ice after a weak slash to the ankle, was because he believed the Bruins get every call and he needed to embellish to get the call.

3. Daniel Sedin was shot by Seal Team 6, after a shoulder to shoulder hit by Ference. His shooting was because he believe dthat the Bruins get every call and that he needed to embellish to get the call.

4. Max LaPierre bent over as if he were a teenager in a Friday the 13th movie, after Chara MAY have touched him with his stick, but he did that because he believed that the Bruins get every call and he needed to embellish to get the call.

5. Alex Burrows slashed Thomas as he skated behind him, then curled around and slashed Thomas again, prior to Thomas assaulting him with a slash to the ankle, causing Burrows to acxt as if Seal Team 6 found another target, BECAUSE he believed that the Bruins get every call and that he needed to embellish to get the call.

You also mentioned that if we got hot and bothered over the truly missed calls that there would be less of the other stuff.

I agree wholeheartedly....Alex Burrows SHOULD have been suspended for waiting until the official turned his head to look at Bergeron, then lowering his head, opening his mouth and BITING Bergerons finger.

Had the league done the RIGHT thing....Burrows would have been gone and none of the rest of this stuff would have happened.

Heck, Boston may not have lost one of its 2 best players to a complete cheapshot.

So, yeah, I agree the series would be different.

Later

24. maineblackbear

maineblackbear
    Expand Collapse
    1st Team All-Star

Hey...Did He Also Show...

Did he also show the Vancouver too many men on when they had 6 position players on the ice?

I loved that one too...

Oh, wait....its only the Bruins who calls are missed/ignored.

Later

25. maineblackbear

maineblackbear
    Expand Collapse
    1st Team All-Star

Well

I guess its justifiable because the Bruins couldnt get a call when Bergeron was BITTEN by Burrows.

So, if we want to talk about Vancouver has to dive because Boston gets all the calls, then lets work backwards all the way up to the non-call that started all of this...

Burrows intentional bit of Bergeron.

Just curious, did Henrik Sedin get shot by Seal Team 6 in response to Burrows not getting league punishment for biting a player? Kelly tapped him on the hard shell skate....thats NOT goining to hurt a player.

I do have to say that I thought it was funny when Milbury was chastized by Roenick for calling the Sedins Thelma and Louise. He told Milbury that was an insult....to Thelma and Louise, because they are tougher than the Sedins.

Later

26. maineblackbear

maineblackbear
    Expand Collapse
    1st Team All-Star

Spear?

He poked him....give him a penalty, sure.

But bend over as if you were going through an emergency appendectomy on the ice?

Lucic raised his stick 12-18 inches....are you telling me thats enough to THROW a grown man backwards? Incidentally the grown man who REPEATEDLY tried to poke Lucic with his stick and put his leg over Lucics stick and leg? Raising his stick absolutely did NOT cause Burrows to throw himself backwards.

But I notice just as many calls missed on Vancouver.

Yet somehow the Bruins are the only one slashing, crosschecking, diving, biting, cheapshotting opponents coming through the neutral zone by leaving their skates to deliver blindside hits.

Oh wait....Vancouver did all of those things?

NO WAY!

Later

27. maineblackbear

maineblackbear
    Expand Collapse
    1st Team All-Star

Great Anticipation

Great anticipation by LaPierre....and great job of firing puck off the boards by Bieska. Granted, the right bounce had to happen for it to get right onto LaPierres stick...but it worked!

Great game by both teams.

Boston has absolutely shown that are easily at least Vancouvers equals.

Later

28. Trout Bum

Trout Bum
    Expand Collapse
    ECHL

Re: Well

But the Bruins DID get a call when Burrows bit Bergeron. He got an extra 2 minutes for roughing, just like the rule book says. Which, I might add, is two minutes more than Savard got for biting Carcillo in the playoffs last year. Your own player set the precedent there.

29. Connecticut

Connecticut
    Expand Collapse
    1st Round Pick

Re: Ohhh...NOW, I Understand!

This would be more convincing if you weren't totally wrong about virtually every call. Whatever you think about Burrows's hacks on Thomas, if you don't think you would have gone down on that slash you're delusional.

Burrows "throwing" himself backwards? False.
    "Shoulder" hit by Ference? False.
    Chara "MAY" have touched Lapierre? False.

Blaming the series on Burrows biting Bergeron? You're better than that. Weren't you the guy that was whining that some trashy Vancouver writer was setting up excuses prior to the series.c[​IMG]

30. maineblackbear

maineblackbear
    Expand Collapse
    1st Team All-Star

Accuracy

I am not blaming the series on the bite.

I am blaming how the chippiness has evolved on the lack of response to the bite.

Later

31. rikster

rikster
    Expand Collapse
    2nd Team All-Star

Re: Ohhh...NOW, I Understand!

What is unique about a spear is that you don't have to make contact and you get 4 minutes...

And it is one of the dirtiest plays in hockey, I'd go as far as to say it's a far dirtier play than nibbling someone's pinky...

You are calling for a suspension for the nibble but see no wrong in a spear...

Goes back to what stood out for me after game 1, the Bruins are a dirty team and are so big and tough that they need their sticks to do the dirty work for them...

Take care...

32. Connecticut

Connecticut
    Expand Collapse
    1st Round Pick

Re: Accuracy

Still some pretty weak tea.

The series wouldn't have been chippy without the bite? If it had been suspended? And just for the record, it's pretty clear in the rule book that there is no suspension attached to a bite -- it's a 2-minute penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct which can be made more severe in case of injury. Unless you think the rulebook is wrong I would say you have no case.