Suddenly a market for overpaid players?

Discussion in 'Hockey Talk' started by Janus, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Janus

Janus
    Expand Collapse
    NHL

With the salary floor rising to just over $54M next year and the labour situation unclear, is there now a market for overpaid players with a year or two left on their deals? Two thirds of the teams in the league are currently below the floor and half is more than $5M below. Phoenix has 17 players under contract but is $16M under the floor! Heck, even the Rangers are under the floor. That might get people expecting crazy stuff on Sunday but outside of guys like Parise teams won't want to lock into long term deals without knowing what will happen with the new CBA.

For the Leafs, maybe that makes Connolly, Lombardi and Komisarek movable objects now. These are guys capable of taking a regular shift, just not worth what they are being paid. Each had slightly front loaded deals so they will cost less money than their cap hit. Maybe just wishful thinking for me, but who knows?

2. m_peroni

m_peroni
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Fame

Definitely possible. I mean, Campbell to the Panthers last year makes it possible because of this system and look at how much that helped the Panthers.

Phoenix, i am not sure what they are doing. Even Yandle may be a traded player. But, i think they will hit the free agent market on short term, but costly deals just to reach the floor.

As for the Leafs, why trade Connolly? With JVR, i think Connolly can be helpful. He is injury prone, and that probably turns off many teams for his services, but he is on the last year of his contract. It doesn't hurt the Canucks to keep him. Lombardi looks done unless he needs a change of scenery and a good recovery period to regain his form. Komisarek's trade value is terribly low.

I think Carlyle can work with these guys, though. If the Leafs trade these players as mostly salary dumps, then they need a plan to fill in those holes as well either via trade or via a very thin free agent market.