The Playoffs Thread

Discussion in 'Hockey Talk' started by m_peroni, Apr 11, 2012.

1. m_peroni

m_peroni Hall of Fame

Wow. Already an exciting Day 1 of playoff hockey. Just nothing like it!!!

Flyers @ Pens (Game 1): An embarrassment for the Pens. Up 3-0, at home, and the Flyers win 4-3 with a dramatic comeback. Letang was dreadful on the ice, but the Pens as a whole stopped playing after it was 3-0. Lesson learned! The Flyers are definitely not as good as the Pens, but the last thing you want to do is to make the Flyers a confident team.

Red Wings @ Predators (Game 1): Pretty much what i expected. Rinne was amazing and i think he won that game, no doubt, but the Preds really played a strong game against what is a hard Red Wings team. The games will be close in this series. Weber should get a 1-game suspension for making a Slap Shots play by drilling Z's head into the glass with his hand. Just dirty and unacceptable.

Kings @ Canucks (Game 1): Where do i begin? I think the Canucks played stupid hockey from start to finish. I am not sure why NBC had Bryan Hayward as color commentator as the guy could be ridiculously biased against the Kings, and he was. He "did not see anything" that Kesler did on that play with Quick. It was idiotic. Well after the whistle why would he come in like that on the goalie? Kassian didn't take the strides on that charging penalty, so he said, but probably lifting yourself off the ice plays a factor?

Just stupid penalties one after another, and in the first period i even counted three interference calls that should have been called on Vancouver that would have most likely been called in the reg-season. Kesler interfered with Quick, i thought. But, i don't think that should have been the reason to disallow the goal. I just think it should have been a penalty right away. Quick waste precious time by trying to poke Kesler, then get back into position and he was not ready for the shot. Tough luck, Jonny, you should have focused on the play, not on Kesler.

I hope Booth still gets revenge on Richards and puts him on a stretcher. Again this guy just has no respect for players. While i think it is even hard to have any respect for Burrows, that was just a cheap shot hit at the end of the game when he should have been more aware defensively. This guy is despicable.

Canucks should learn a lot from this game. The Kings are BIG players and they are tougher. The Canucks tried to be more physical, and they were, but it did not bother the Kings one bit and the difference was that the Canucks were overly physical and played stupid hockey, while the Kings played physical, as they are accustomed to, but maintained their game plan. Next game, the Canucks just need to show physicality, not overdo it, and play the high skilled Canucks hockey that we know. Do not try to be tougher than the Kings. It won't work and the penalties turn out to be idiotic.

Bitz, what the hell was that? One game suspension should be awarded.

2. Die-hard

Die-hard MVP

The Pens should have won - no reason to lose a game after being up 3-0. They decided to stop playing and it cost them, but they're a good team that should rebound.

The Preds played their typical boring, defensive style and the Wings couldn't find an answer. Weber should be suspended for his hit on Zetterberg but he won't be because discipline in the NHL is a joke. I love Weber as a player, but that can't happen.

The Canucks played a stupid game, but a couple of those penalty calls were absolute garbage. A snow shower that happens 10 times a game? Penalty. Take two steps before a hit? Charging. Knock a guy over at center ice? Penalty. The calls last night in every game were a massive joke, why do the refs feel they need to be the stars of the game? Once again the rules change in the playoffs, last year you could do anything and this year you touch a guy and it's a penalty. It's infuriating to watch.

That said, the Canucks were nowhere near good enough to win and fully deserved their loss. I'm not worried about the size of the Kings - the Canucks with Kassian, Bitz (when he comes back from his suspension that I think he'll get), Booth, Bieksa, Kesler, Pahlsson, etc are as big and strong as anybody - I'm more focused on the Canucks using their vastly superior speed and skill. If they try to slug it out in the trenches, as they did last night, they won't do very well.

I'm hoping that the reffing goes back to normal, I agree with Babcock that it made zero sense last night. All that said, it's just game 1 of each series, we won't really know who is in trouble until games 2 or 3.

3. m_peroni

m_peroni Hall of Fame

I would have given that penalty to Kesler. It was well after the whistle. There was no point in doing it. I've watched so many games this year and i actually have never seen that type of snow shower happen. Players no longer do it. I forget who it was, but the last time i saw a player do it this season he immediately apologized to the goaltender.

Kesler meant to do it. It was well after. It was stupid, senseless...had no point. Quick was already surrounded by his own players and a couple of Nucks players, like Booth, and Kesler came in afterwards to make a snow shower on Quick. I would have given him 2 minutes for being an a-hole and an idiot. It's the playoffs, we don't need to see immature idiocy like that.

Kassian lifted his skates off the ice with that hit. It's a charge.

I think most of the calls were correct by the refs. I think they even missed three obvious interference calls on the Nucks in the first period, and the interference on Quick was so obvious as well.

The Canucks and their fans shouldn't even complain about the officiating in last night's game. They got a goal that should not even have counted.

NHL should suspend Weber, but Shanahan has proven to be as lame as Campbell.

4. Die-hard

Die-hard MVP

Of course he meant to do it - just like Brad Marchand did earlier this season to Luongo. Well after the whistle as well. No penalty on that play - why is that? Again, if they don't call it in the regular season, don't call it in the playoffs. No idea why this is the only sport that changes the rules come playoff time, makes zero sense.

Kassian took 2 steps and hit the guy, yep his skates did come slightly off the ice just like in 90% of hits. That's a charge but Booth's hit earlier in the game on Doughty isn't? Again, where's the consistency?

Which goal shouldn't have counted? The one where Quick was out of the crease and Kesler brushed him? If he wasn't a flopping baby like most goalies (Luongo included) then he would have stopped that shot easily. He was out of the blue, he's fair game, within reason - i.e. you can't bodycheck him.

You know - it's funny you focus on the Canucks game only in your response when I went over all the others as well. When Mike Babcock, a guy who whines less than just about any coach in the game, thinks there's a problem - there's a problem.

5. m_peroni

m_peroni Hall of Fame

D-H....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i1e4KRD9Us

Clifford got a penalty for doing it on Luongo. I guess you forgot that one? :)

Kassian's skates were off the ice enough to have been considered charging. Booth's hit on Doughty? Not really. His right foot was still on the ice.

Quick was NOT out of the crease. Replay clearly shows he was still in the crease.

I agreed with your other comments, but not the ones on the Nucks game.

Here is the image

6. rikster

rikster 2nd Team All-Star

Kesler

Add me to the growing list of fans who are growing tired of his antics...

As a Canuck fan, I'm embarassed by it and I can understand why it creates inconsistancies ( did I spell that corrrectly? )amongst officials...

They are under pressure just like players and coaches are and mistakes can cost them money and jobs, so why make their jobs tougher?

The yapping I don't mind as much, but the flailing to draw penalties bugs the heck out of me..

Take care...

7. m_peroni

m_peroni Hall of Fame

And the surprises continue!!!

Sens @ NYR (Game 1): Pretty much what was expected. Good offensive chances by both teams. The Rangers started to play lousy hockey and Torts calls a timeout. The aftermath was 4 goals and outplaying the Sens in all aspects of the game. Still, the Rangers went through some mental lapses for long stretches, which means that these are windows of opportunity for the Sens to convert their chances on. Lundqvist came up big when needed. Overall, a good game.

Caps @ Bruins (Game 1): Absolutely not what was expected. It was boring and both teams played terrible hockey. The Bruins obviously outplayed the Caps, especially in the 2nd period, but the lack of finish on scoring chances was dreadful. A rookie goalie, an average defense, and no regulation time goals? Caps got lucky, but they had the opportunity to take advantage of Boston's absent scoring touch. Caps have a lot to worry about, though. They looked really bad.

Sharks @ Blues (Game 1): Surprise! The Sharks beat the Blues in St. Louis! Never saw that one coming. I think the Blues were playing too cautiously and conservative (typical of Hitchcock) and the Sharks took more risks that resulted in high rewards. Good game by both teams, but i still think the Blues will win a few in a row now.

Hawks @ Yotes (Game 1): The only game i watched nothing of, but it is somewhat surprising to see that score. I think Phoenix lost Vrbata to an injury, so that will hurt them a lot. Hawks should know better with playoffs hockey in OT.

8. Shakes

Shakes MVP

sigh!

I must yet again pick a team to watch in the playoff's. Im finding it very difficult this year as my heart was ripped out by the Leaf collapse in feb. Honestly I feel like I was run over by a truck or was hit in the head by a flying elbow by Hulk Hogan. I have absolutely nothing to add in the playoff's comments thus far as im taking a pass for a while and waiting for things to heat up. To bad really as it sounded like there was some good games thus far.

I felt like I would drop by and give my lack of an opinion.......which is I do not have any yet LOL! Maybe later as when I recover from this.

9. rikster

Hi Shakes

Rivalries aside, no fans should have to bear being on the sidelines year after year...

Keep the faith...

Take care..

10. Die-hard

Die-hard MVP

Quick was out of the crease, Kesler's 'bump' (which Quick flopped on) pushed him back in. As I said, every goalie does it, even Luongo. Hell, Tim Thomas was 4 feet out of the crease last year and it was a penalty on Burrows, another terrible call.

That's not a penalty, sorry. Charging is iffy, I don't like that call because it takes any solid hits out of the game. There was no danger other than the fact that Matt Greene whined about it to the refs like he did every time he got hit - but of course nobody noticed that because he's not a Canuck.

11. Die-hard

Die-hard MVP

Unfortunately I wasn't able to watch much of the games last night - I saw a bit of the OT in the Washington/Boston series and it seemed Washington was lucky to be in the game. The best team won.

The Blues are overrated, they will lose this series.

The Hawks have zero defense and no depth, they'll have to hope Toews, Kane, Hossa and Sharp play great and that Crawford steals them a game or two. They have great high end talent but I can't see them going far. Still, I think they will win this series.

12. m_peroni

m_peroni Hall of Fame

Dude, watch the replay. He was NOT out of the crease. His right leg was out of the crease, but he was not completely far out of the crease.

13. m_peroni

m_peroni Hall of Fame

Devs @ Panthers (Game 1): The Panthers entered the1st period as if it was just a regular season game. They looked nervous as well. They got hammered in the first period. The penalty call on Matthias was inexcusable by the refs. There was not much to it but possibly a 2 minute penalty for elbowing or roughing, but a four minute penalty for.....i don't know what. Devils played 20 minutes of hockey beating a team that had no idea how to react. Then the second period started and the Panthers dictated the rest of the game, but came up short. The good news for the Panthers? They CAN beat the Devils.

I was at the game. My first ever playoffs game! I was ecstatic to see the fans go nuts tonight. These fans can definitely show a lot of passion and loudness in the building when this team wins. If this team keeps making the playoffs and if Tallon can continue his good management, then Florida hockey is just fine. I was thrilled. What an experience!

Flyers @ Pens (Game 2): Again, an embarrassment for the Pens. Leading multiple times and they still find a way to lose. Terrible defensive plays. The Flyers did not look any better either. Yes, Brzygalov made a few amazing saves, but he and his d-men still allowed five goals. They need to fix that because the Penguins can become a solid defensive team and shut you down. The Penguins looked as disinterested as ever. Where is the passion? Where is the veteran experience? The big boys played lazy. Inexcusable. The Pens have no choice but to win the next game. If they don't, then they are in big time trouble. They are capable of winning four games in a row, but it is the playoffs. They are beating themselves up, not getting beat up by the Flyers. They have to realize it.

Wings @ Preds (Game 2): Did not see it, but the Wings came out making a statement. Thumbs up for Bertuzzi to fight Weber. Bertuzzi is still a big man, but definitely not as monstrous as he once was. It took guts. Red Wings got that road win you want to get to start off the series.

Kings @ Canucks (Game 2): The Nucks just don't get it, do they? Once again they play stupid hockey. I actually think they outplayed the Kings and looked better than the Kings, but they made their life miserable by playing stupid hockey too many times. It is just inexcusable to give up two SH goals in a playoff game. Vancouver is not playing tough. They are playing to be over-tough. Too much of this nonsense physicality. This is a mental issue. These guys need to get their $h!t together and start playing hockey. The Kings don't really care about Vancouver trying to play more physical. They can take the hits. They are big. They can take the physical challenges, they are strong. They do it when they need do as they are playing their game plan. The Canucks are distracted and are looking foolish. Really Burrows? Picking on Quick? Moron.

AV has a lot of work to do, but not with video...not on a white board. Not with drills either. Just talk to these guys and tell them to get their act together. This is not a remake of Slap Shots. Follow the game plan. Play physically when you need to. Don't overdo it. Of course we also hope that AV is not the one who got it in these heads to play this way. I don't think so, but you never know. I say the Nucks realize how stupid they've been and will win two in a row in LA.

That being said, i will conclude by saying that every year i say the same thing. There is nothing like playoffs hockey. Nothing comes close to it. I love this game.

14. Sir Rodney

Hi Mick,

Glad you enjoyed the game so much. I am really pulling for the Panthers in that series. I can't comment on specifics as I haven't watched any of those games.

The ones I have watched with some amazement are the Flyers/Penguins and the Avs/Blackhawks. I'll get into the Nucks self-destruction in a moment but there is a parallel with the Penguins. It's as if they have no idea how to play Playoff hockey. They aren't going to beat the Flyers playing that style of game and as Game 2 went on, they completely lost their focus. They have as much chance of winning two straight in Philly as I do dating Sofia Vergara. One can fantasy but my wife vetoed the idea.

When I watched that Avs game, I really felt for those Colorado fans (they aren't playing the Nucks but they are up against one of their bitterest rivals). To get outplayed so badly in the third trying desperately to hold on to a one goal lead only to get a tying goal scored against them with 16 seconds left killed a lot of dreams in that instant. It was almost as if the bubble had burst for so many of them. In their wildest dreams, they didn't expect to win in over time. Just goes to show that dreams can come true. Sofia a possibility? Nah, get over it. My wife is a light sleeper.

Then, there are the Nucks. Throughout the season, you've had more faith than I in terms of what their chances were. I need a boost at the moment as I see very little reason for optimism. Until they actually lose the fourth game of a series, I won't give up on them but man oh man, it's getting hard (damn that Sofia) to keep the faith. I can live with the over aggressive play - they were criticized last year for being too passive so it seems they can't win according to their physicality. You expect some goals against on the penalty kill but NOT ON THE BLOODY POWERPLAY FOR CRYING OUT LOUD AND TWICE IN ONE GAME TO ADD INSULT TO INJURY. It's overly simplistic to blame this on Daniel being out of the lineup but it has to be a factor but not the major one. I hear a lot of criticism directed their way about their being over confident going in. I don't buy that for a minute. If anything, I think they went into this series afraid to lose. They are so bloody up tight that they can't make the most basic of plays without having a brain fart. It's not the rookies or newbies that are doing that either, it's the core and that scares the crap out of me going forward. Ballard gets a bit of a pass (just a small bit) but he was out of position on two goals and even helped take Luongo out of the play on the fourth goal. The main concern on the defense is with Edler. Where is the real guy. This alien replacement can't play D if his life depended on it. Blind drop passes in your own zone, are you kidding me? In a series this tight, you have to bring your "A" game which LA has definitely done. The Canucks are getting the same reviews as the new Three Stooges movie. C at best.

Time to rattle the troops. Even though Luongo was not the reason they lost, I would throw Schneider in for Game 3. For some reason, the Canucks play better in front of him. If they win Game 3 which they bloody well better do, leave him in their for Game 4 as well. Lose Game 3 and put Luongo back in. They've got nothing to lose by trying to inspire them to play their normal game. What they've brought to the rink doesn't qualify. Game three is pivotal to both their chances of winning the series as well as their confidence. Take a chance. It isn't the fringe players that need to be changed.

15. m_peroni

m_peroni Hall of Fame

Caps @ Bruins (Game 2): The Caps stuck in and matched up against the Bruins very well. A hard working game with Semin even showed some work ethic out there. Holtby was the key here and the Bruins need to figure out how to beat his size and skills.

Sens @ Rangers (Game 2): The Rangers have got to figure out their PP issues. It's just inexcusable to have such talent and put such a poor display with the man advantage. Enough. They can't even penetrate the zone well. This is a coaching issue, though. The players lack a top notch PP QB, and Del Zotto will grow into that d-man a few years from now, but the tactics are just not there. The Sens came up big in the end and continued their hard work. A well deserved win.

HOWEVER..... Brendan Shanahan will most likely be banned from MSG after ruling a 3 game suspension on Carl Hagelin for elbowing Alfredsson, and handing a ONE....ONE.... game suspension on Carkner for just being a thug and punching Boyle out of the blue. This is just ridiculous. So much for hating on Campbell, Brendan Shanahan is a further embarrassment to this league. I don't even think Hageling has ever gotten a suspension out of being dirty or too aggressive. Byron Bitz gets two games for a real cheap shot on Kyle Clifford, but Hagelin three games?

This is an outraged and the Rangers should have appealed it.

You know, i am sick and tired of teams, players, and coaches always having to keep mum about their true feelings. I spoke with someone in the Panthers organization and he said that Dineen can get too nasty with the refs. Well, you know what? GOOD. No one but the fans and media get to blast the refs, the moron that is Shanahan, and the league in general. What a disgrace. This is the playoffs and Hagelin gets a three game suspension for that? An utter joke. Shanahan just proved to be a useless bum. Stick to retirement, pencil DICK.

That being said, Rangers may decide to play Kreider and the Rangers have no option but to win Game 3.

Sharks @ Blues (Game 2): Sharks looked dreadful out there, but that was expected. The Blues had to stick to their near perfect gameplay and that was just a thick and tall wall for the Sharks to break through or climb. Sharks got their job done in winning one road game, though. Still, it doesn't look bright.

Hawks @ Yotes: (Game 2): Shaw also did a shameful play. Mike Smith has a concussion history. He knew what he was doing. Now if the guy gets less than Hagelin, Shanahan is just making himself look like a clown. That was an ill-intended play. As for the game, the Yotes looked a bit overwhelmed by how the Hawks came out swinging with their powerful offense. A lot of puck control in the Yotes D-zone and when you have the killers in Kane, Sharp, Toewes and Hossa...your defense is just running around and getting tired to the point where a goal is soon to come. They've got to tighten that D.

16. m_peroni

m_peroni Hall of Fame

Preds @ Wings (Game 3): Loved the intro at the Joe. Very cool. It was a hard fought game. These game results are expected in this series. Fairly low scoring, very close. But, i am still sticking with the youth, the depth, strength, speed, skill, and supreme goaltending that the Preds have, to win out this series. Wings will not handle it.

Pens @ Flyers (Game 3): This is just embarrassing for Pittsburgh. This is becoming a mental issue. These guys can't figure out the Flyers approach. They just can't do it. Pens are playing a run and gun game. It's not working. They are taking bad penalties. Fleury is the worst goaltender in the post-season so far. Crosby wanting to fight Giroux? Why am i not surprised? Pens are in deep trouble and there is no problem in scoring here, but the carelessness of defensive play is just brutal. The main one to blame, though, is Bylsma. This group is not mentally ready. The Flyers on the other hand should not be feeling too confident about this either. Bryzgalov is the second worst goaltender in the post-season. The defense is pathetic. The penalties are just as bad. I don't get the kind of hockey that these two teams are playing. It's fun, entertaining, but really?

Devils @ Panthers (Game 2): A fun game to watch from the get go. Not only did i get to see my firs playoffs game earlier, but now my first playoffs victory! It's not the Rangers....BUT.... it counts :) Panthers were ready, were extremely fast and just buzzed around the Devils. Passing was excellent for the Panthers and i think that has been their strength all season long. These guys can pass the puck from D to O and make it look easy. Finishing is still an issue, and Versteeg needs to start shooting more. Gudbranson played one of his best games, if not the best, in his young career. No one is talking about this teenager making an impact in the playoffs. The Devils mixed things up a bit in the third and caught a napping Panther team early on. Yet, they still managed and proved to themselves that they can beat this team in this round. Good luck Cats up in Joisy!

Nucks @ Kings (Game 3): Sigh..... you know.... i don't even know what to say anymore that can put the Nucks in a positive light here. I mean, overall? I think the Canucks totally outplayed the Kings. The Kings without Quick would be facing a 3-0 series deficit, not lead. The only way to feel optimistic about the Nucks now is to say that they looked very good out there. They put 40 shots on net, and this could translate into an actual victory in Game 4, which i predict will happen and it will be a decisive victory. Also, we all know the Canucks are well capable of winning four games in a row.

Yet, this is all just optimism. The reality is that the Nucks are a disaster. Like i originally thought before the series started, the Canucks were going to have a tough time against the Kings physicality and strength and size. That Brown hit on Sedin was a cheap shot. It was legal, it was a "clean" hit, but a cheap shot. Yet...it's clean and it adds effect to the Kings' style of play. I think playing Schneider was a poor choice. That was a terrible rebound to gift wrap for Brown. I would have stuck with Luongo, no doubt.

The Canucks get too nervous. They try to be overly physical and look where that gets them? In the penalty box and this kind of play has zero negative effect on the Kings. LA does not really care. They are big and can take the hits. They will still focus on their game. The Canucks? Not so. They are thinking about taking out Brown. The Canucks also need to find a way to solve Quick.

This is just a disastrous situation for the Canucks. I think they will make it a Game 7 series, still, as desperation will settle in and the focus to play Canucks hockey and stick to focus and playing smart will help them prevail. I also thought the Flyers had no chance against the Penguins, so....my thoughts can only be so helpful, right?

17. Shakes

Shakes MVP

The Leaf organization I think is for the first time actually feeling some heat. All the apologies and the GM coming out and saying that he must now go with a new/old plan is definately a team that is concerned about the fans actually being ticked off. Very very strange really. I think that they know that this collapse may have kicked to many fans in the teeth and there is only some many times you can do this.

BB and his big yap is actually what is causing some of this mess. I think if he had to do it again he would change some of the things he said as they in part are being repeated back to him years later.....

Leaf fans=hitting your head against a wall.

18. Die-hard

Die-hard MVP

So you admit the leg he hit, his right leg, was out of the crease? What are we talking about then?

19. Die-hard

Die-hard MVP

Hey Peroni,

I don't think the Canucks have a chance against the Kings - they look beaten already. I don't care if they get 40 shots from the point and the half boards every game, they are not going to the net and aren't going to score that way. Unfortunately Edler has probably been the worst player in the league these playoffs - been directly responsible for a goal against in each game. With your #1 or #2 D playing like that you aren't going to win anything.

Brown's hit to Henrik's head won't get anything, doesn't matter that the main point of contact was the head. I'm assuming they won't even look at it, simply because that's what the NHL does. It should have been a penalty for a hit to the head, plain and simple, and for Brown to get nothing, the Canucks to go short-handed and Brown to score the winner in the game is fitting.

I'm hoping to catch more of the other series this week, I was out of town this weekend so didn't see much. Looks like the Pens/Flyers has been a gong show.

20. rikster

The second guessers have lots of reason to complain about dealing Hodgson at the deadline rather than the off season, but that aside as somebody pointed out last season the Nucks won a series in 7 games and another in 6 games and lost the finals in 7 games with Daniel Sedin so what are the chances that they can win a series without him?...

The only way I see the Canucks having a chance is if the hockey gods grant them some breaks or if the league allows the Kings to make a trade to send Quick to either Pittsburg or Phily for their goalie....

The Kings remind me of the 2004 Flames, they are clogging up the middle of the ice in front of their net which prevents shots from getting to their goalie up high and Quick is so good on any shot down low ...

I wish AV wasn't making so many alterations in his lineup, he's been playing musical chairs since before the playoffs and the team looks disjointed....

Take care....

21. m_peroni

m_peroni Hall of Fame

We're talking about that Quick was mostly in his crease and big deal is his right leg was a bit out of the crease? I can understand if the goalie was actually out of the crease, but he was not. You know that.

22. m_peroni

m_peroni Hall of Fame

I want to be more faithful than you with the Nucks, but man it's tough. It's like, i am waiting to see the Canucks claim a dominant victory over the Kings and i'm waiting for it because i think i know it will happen. If the Canucks get that out of the way, you yourself would know that they are capable of winning the next three in a row.

These guys just need to get their darn head straight and stop worrying so much about being more physical than the opponent.

I am not sure if Brown's hit on Sedin was directly to the head. Looked a bit under the chin. I don't think it was a penalty and definitely don't think it will be a suspension or fine. I do think it was a cheap shot, though. If it was Burrows i would have loved it, probably, but Sedin? Come on Brown...a normal hit was more than adequate to knock him off.

Edler just proved to be not the #1 d-man we were discussing a couple of months ago. He's looked bad. The worst? Hmm....... have you seen the Flyers-Pens series? lol There are a lot of worst in the post season players in that series!

Anyway, ad Yogi Bera said....it's not over till it's over. Good luck in Game 4. Keep the faith, and when it's over you can get angry and cry and want to rip off their heads as i would do as well if it was my team. But right now, it's still game on.

I say 3-1 victory for the Nucks in game 4.

23. m_peroni

m_peroni Hall of Fame

Why are people even discussing that trade? Maybe Hodgson could have been a factor in terms of getting the odd goal, but really? Enough with that trade. It's done with. I didn't like it myself for the Canucks, but it has zero effect on this series.

Give the Canucks a chance.

24. m_peroni

m_peroni Hall of Fame

I would really love to see what James Neal gets for the hit on Couturier. If Hagelin got three, Neal should get....5? And he is a repeat offender.

Let's see what you got for us Shanny.

25. Sir Rodney

Hi Gang,

I have to go with Mick's interpretation of the hit here. I suppose you are both right in that the chin is part of the head so technically, ... I also don't feel there will be any subsequent discipline to Brown. If it had been a suspendable type head hit, then the Canucks training staff were at fault by not following Protocol in having the 10 minute assessment in the quiet room. Add to the fact that Henrik was working his jaw for the balance of the period supports the idea of that being the point of contact. Full marks to Henrik for coming back and being the most effective Canuck in the third period. Sedin Sisters my ass. He may not be a fighter but no one should ever sell him short in terms of his own brand of physicality.

I had no problem with Schneider being in the net. Would Luongo have let out the same rebound? Who knows. Would he have made the same saves earlier? It was more a defensive breakdown once again that cost them. The CBC coverage said it was Kesler that failed to clear the puck out of the zone but they got the wrong guy. It was 27, Malhotra, not 17 Kesler that didn't make the clearing play at the blue line. The defenseman at the point wasn't the one who was going to hurt them though, it was the two forwards down deep in the corners. So why wasn't Brown covered? Bad rebound to an uncovered player. Heartbreak.

The Twitter Twits will not let the Hodgson trade go and I agree that it had nothing what-so-ever to do with the series standing to this point. The argument that Hodgson would fill the offensive gap left by Daniel's injury just doesn't wash. They have enough depth in the organization to fill that by committee and their first priority had to be defensive coverage, something that Hodgson wasn't going to provide. The fact that Kassian isn't ready to provide his piece of the picture is obvious but this is a long term benefit.

As a former goalie, I am amazed at how much of the lower two-thirds of the net Quick has covered whenever the puck is in the defensive zone. There has to be much more aggressive crease presence by the Canuck forwards if they are to have any chance of finding an opening. It isn't happening and that has killed them offensively. 40 shots is a meaningless statistic if what they provide in how many times they've bounced off a big goal tender who is basically taking up a ton of space with sound defense around him to take care of the rebounds. Fix that issue more than any other and they have a chance to extend the series.

Until the fourth game is lost whenever that may be, I plan on keeping the faith. Twitter Twits be damned.

As for Game 4, Schneider wasn't the problem any more than Luongo was in Games 1 and 2. I predict Luongo is back in for Game 4.

Take care.

26. Die-hard

Die-hard MVP

Agreed Sir, I don't think Brown gets anything and I'm not sure he deserves it - my point was just that if they want to stop contact to the head there's a perfect example. The main point of contact is a shoulder to the head, it's easy for all to see. If they want to stop hits to the head there you go, if not then they'll keep doing what they always do. Personally I don't really care either way as I like good, tough hockey.

The D, and especially Edler, have cost them these 3 games. I've never seen him play so badly and I'm including when he first came into the league. No idea what's wrong with him, but it doesn't look like anything physical so I'm assuming mental. He'll get over it, just not sure it will be quick enough to win this series.

On the goalies - I'm fine with whoever AV goes with for game 4. Long term is the bigger question, they really need to get something good in return for Schneider, hopefully somebody on the back end who can help them out in times like this.

27. Sir Rodney

What Happens If ...

Hi D-H,

There are some very tough decision ahead if the Canucks do get eliminated. When you look at who have been at fault (it is safe to assume that the Vancouver media and Twitter Twit fan base) it isn't the fringe players who will bear the brunt of the criticism. Using the argument that this core has taken us to two successive President's Cups won't cut much ice. The mantra over the past couple of years has been that a small change here or there would be sufficient. At the deadline, the Canucks were lauded for being the most active and for having made the most significant changes. Some analysts suggested they were poised to make successive Cup runs. That will be a hard sell at the Coast this Summer.

The Canucks under Gillis have been nothing if not loyal to their core. This has resulted in players taking discounts to stay. The critics will suggest that has resulted in a sense of complacency and entitlement. I don't buy that for a minute but you can expect to hear that sort of thing all Spring until the Draft. The series isn't over and the list of possible scapegoats has already emerged. At the top of the list is Vigneault. LA and Nashville changed coaches and look at what they've done. That chant is out there loud and clear. Hell, even the Toronto media has posited that AV is the next coach of the Montreal Canadiens. The dumbest ones include trading Luongo, the Sedins and Kesler to the Leafs. Might as well stock up the teams who aren't the most hated while we are into a full blown rebuild model (to heck with the Red Wings, that didn't work - let's follow the Calgary model).

I get disappointment. Hell, I was even swearing at the crappy ice in LA last night. I think the wise move is to turn off sports talk radio in Vancouver until July. It's probably the only way to stay sane.

28. rikster

Re: What Happens If ...

Hi guys...

The Canucks look dopey to me...They don't have the pedal to the metal mentality like they did last year and it looks like they are worn out or just don't have the heart to do what is necessary to get a win...

I think whoever starts game 4 is the goaltender they want to try to keep this off season, me I think Luongo's time is up in Vancouver ...

His high maintenace first few years in Vancouver seem to have come back to haunt him with the fans, especially with Schneider in town....

Regarding AV and the coaching staff, he has to be on thin ice if for no other reason than the way he has constantly juggled his line up which has led to so much confusion in the Nucks play....

I guess on the bright side, a first round loss will gain the Nucks a higher draft pick....

Take care...

29. Sir Rodney

Hi Rikster,

I don't know if it's dopey or frustrated. I really think the rest of the League went to school on the Canucks during last year's finals. They simply don't have the right make up to handle the Bruins or their clones. LA has outplayed them primarily because of their size up front. The Canucks don't have an anchor defenseman who can keep the front of the net clear. Edler was supposed to be that guy but he appears burnt out. Alberts was the closest we had but he lacks the talent to be in the top pairing. Win or lose, that has to be the number one issue that must be addressed this Summer. I see a major trade being made but not necessarily involving one of our goal tenders. The days of the Sedin Cycle are pretty much done as a playoff strategy. Any thought that the Bruin strategy was an aberration can be put to rest when you see how the playoffs are being "fought". Whether we like it or not, size and snarkiness wins. Ask the Penguins whether or not they still think Speed Kills. LA has S & S, we don't. It isn't speed, it isn't goal tending and it sure isn't coaching. The last two are easy targets that ignore the real issues. There is no quick fix in sight and more tweaks during the Summer won't fix the fundamental issue either. Gillis, you better start getting ready for a busy June and July.

30. rikster

Hi Sir Rodney....

In both the Boston series last year and the Kings series this year, the power play has gone stone cold, so as much as the knee jerk reaction is to complain that the team isn't built for the playoffs, the reality is that they they are being let down by one of their strengths and big and tough or small and skilled doesn't matter if your special teams play stinks...

It's not just that Daniel is hurt, its also that Kesler has had an off year and is unable to take his game to the level he got it to last years playoffs before he got hurt resulting in both of the top 2 lines being ineffective ...

Take care...

31. m_peroni

m_peroni Hall of Fame

Let's not talk Canucks hockey as if they are already eliminated. Come on guys! Give this team a chance. It's not over yet.

I want to set up two other threads so we don't clutter discussions. One thread will be on non-playoff teams. The other thread on eliminated playoff teams. How's that?

Anyway, on to playoff hockey!!!

NYR @ Sens (Game 3): I think the refs actually got this one right. At first i was fuming with the stupid call on Spezza...i think? It was a slight shove on Gaborik in a cross-check motion, but come on...not a penalty. Then Staal does the usual minor interference that most d-men do when an oncoming player sends the puck deep and tries to skate around. I've seen it happen in pretty much every game i saw in these playoffs, and none were called unless it was too much interference.

BUT...that kinda cooled things down between the two teams. I think the players realized that playing the game was priority.

That being said, what a kick ass game! I definitely did not like the Rangers giving the Sens too many shots and chances, but Lundvist was godlike and the Sens could not beat him. He won that game. The Sens took a lot of easy shots as well, but the key saves were magnificent. Michalek has been too quiet for the Sens. He has to step it up. Karlsson plays way too nervous. He is young and i admire his effort to try and lead the team with rushes and what not. Yet, he lost the puck too many times. Rangers kept their cool and drew a bunch of penalties. Typical Rangers win on the road. Still, this is a tough series.

Bruins @ Caps (Game 3): The Bruins figured out Holtby. The youngster was simply beat. The Caps still looked strong offensively, but the Bruins will now expose Holtby a lot.

Blues @ Sharks (Game 3): I did not see it, but it just does not look pretty for the Sharks.

32. rikster

I wonder if the punishments handed out by the league would be different if a former skilled player were in charge of discipline?

As for the officiating, you can't really blame the refs who are told to call the games one way for the pre season and then another way for the regular season and then another for the playoffs....

Take care...

33. rikster

Karlsson as your top blue liner will never win in the playoffs ... He's another Mike Green who once upon a time was in the Norris discussion too...

The problem is that they put up points by ignoring their end of the ice and even when they try to play defence they are too soft to be effective...

On the other hand, watching the way some coach's like AV in Vancouver give such a short leash to a player like Kassian for making a mistake makes me wonder if McLean's method is better in the long run...

Take care...

34. m_peroni

m_peroni Hall of Fame

Actually Karlsson saved some scoring chances last night. He's good in his own end and will get better, i think. He's a smart kid. Green doesn't seem to be mentally focused enough.

35. Sir Rodney

Hi Rikster,

I think we are both arguing from opposite sides of the same coin. It's true that the Power Play has gone stone cold but the question becomes, why? I don't buy that Newell Brown has suddenly become a poor coach or that the Sedins and Kesler have forgotten their roles somehow or that the defense has forgotten how to shoot. I think it's more that the defense throughout the league has been allowed to play their style of game more effectively than the offense has been allowed to play theirs. A team like Detroit has done well over the years because of players like Holmstrom being able to go to the net and draw so much attention to himself that the more skilled players can get lanes in which to make their plays. This is the role that Kassian was brought in to play and when he matures, I fully anticipate his being able to do just that. Kesler used to be effective that way but whether he's gun shy from his injury or whatever, he just isn't able to do that consistently. As a result, the shots that do get through are stopped far more often that they were previously. Speaking of shots, especially from the point, watch how little space the defense like Edler or Salo have to make a quality point shot. There is virtually the same odds of a shot being blocked giving a short handed chance as there is of the shot actually getting through providing a quality scoring chance. Case in point, Game 2 - two short handed goals against. Shot blocking by the forwards has become a given and a virtual specialty. Malhotra's injury has really hurt the Canucks in this regard as he used to be our best forward for providing that line of defense on our penalty kills. I haven't checked the stats but I would presume that our short handed numbers are down.

The Canucks have relied heavily on their speed. They are built for that and it has proven very successful two years in a row. Our trophy case bears testament to that. As the League ramps up towards playoffs, there now seems to be a subtle change whereby the rules get modified to allow a lot of the obstruction back into the game. I think this year's playoffs far more resemble last year's finals than the previous first round. Frustration is setting in for teams like the Canucks, the Penguins, the Rangers and the Wings. Have the Kings, Flyers, Senators and Predators suddenly become that much better or are they better suited for the newer NHL?

Teams that are winning have goalies who basically fill the bottom 2/3 of the net and defense that don't give you time to get a quality shot up high. Pretty simple and not the most reliant on skill. The task for the skill teams like the Canucks is to find a way to break through that barrier. That's what I've been looking towards in the modification of this team this Summer.

36. Sir Rodney

Hi Rikster,

In a game as critical as Game 3, there is no room for error. One goal, as we eventually saw, was critical. Kassian just isn't ready. I know why he was in the lineup in terms of what they hoped he would bring but he had to play within his limits and he didn't on one play. Experiment over. I doubt he will be in Game 4. I can't fault AV for shortening his bench. Weise collected splinters as well.

37. Sir Rodney

I think the hypocrisy is so thick in the League you could cut it with a knife. The Refs are in a no win situation. If this is really the standard they want, and that's fine, then call it that way all season. By the playoffs, everyone would have a clear understanding of what is or isn't accepted. Now the players are constantly pushing the limits and all too frequently are going well beyond. For the League to be surprised at the number of League Rulings being required shows they had no idea what their varying standard would produce. My main concern is the number of injuries that have resulted and this is only the first few games of Round 1. There's a ton of violent hockey yet to be played. It has turned into a war of attrition.

38. m_peroni

m_peroni Hall of Fame

39. m_peroni

m_peroni Hall of Fame

So, James Neal only gets a one game suspension. Asham gets four. Adams, i believe gets one game as well.

I am sure you all know what Torres did to Hossa in Game 3. I don't see that as being any different than what Neal did to Couturier. In fact, Hossa got hit not too long after passing the puck away. Couturier did not even have the puck. So, according to Brendan Shanahan, Torres should get one game as well, right? Right.

Panthers @ Devs (Game 3): WOW! What a game. The Panthers basically replicated their performance in Game 1 in the first ten minutes of the first period. It was outright terrible. I would not even blame Theodore for those goals. The giveaways, the poor defensive zone coverage, and lack of puck controlled handed the Devils the early 3-0 lead. Dineen did the right thing in pulling Jose and putting Clemmensen in instead of wasting a TO and trying to regroup his players. The players already went through this. They knew better and they needed to figure it out by themselves.

They did.

Four unanswered goals through hard work drawing penalties and converting on the PP. Clemmensen stood tall. The whole team was skating like it had to, and it may have been too much for the Devils D to handle. Brodeur was giving out terrible rebounds, and had to be pulled out. The d-men come up big for the Panthers. Weaver gets the odd-goal. Garrison and Campbell were stars in their goal scoring. Panthers deserved this victory. They battled and proved that they can really tear the Devils apart.

Preds @ Wings (Game 3): While the shots on goal, and Rinne's stellar play, tell a story of a Wings team dominating the game, i think the real story is just as i had predicted. The Wings will not be able to handle Nashville's depth, youth, and goaltending. This game came down to one deciding factor. The Wings. They beat themselves with the dumbest of errors that are completely uncharacteristic. Wings have no option but to win the next game.

Yotes @ Hawks (Game 3): Is this series on pace for a Game 7? Looks like it! An excellent game that will unfortunately have one major hi-lite. Raffi's hit on Hossa. It was ill-intended and just sick. Torres wanted to injure Hossa. It was a bit of a late hit, but the full charge to torpedo into Hossa was unacceptable. None of the officials called it? That is even worse.

I will blame the refs, the NHL, Shanahan, and believe it or not........the Pens and Flyers for displaying such thuggery that really went undisciplined by Shanahan. The other teams got nasty with it as well, and now all of the sudden we have a record of suspensions in the playoffs. Players are being jerks about it, but the ones who oversee this part of hockey are mainly to blame; precisely....Shanahan.

Back to the game. It seems as if the Hawks cannot find rhythm in their game. Crawford definitely allowed a soft goal in OT, but i don't even think this game should have gone to OT. Chicago needs to find fluidity and consistency. The Yotes? They had a bunch of players out, yet they skated hard and sniped the Hawks went exposed. They will win these games if the Hawks continue to play like this.

For Torres's own health, Shanahan should suspend him for four games and keep him out of the line-up. If Byfuglien was still a Hawk, i don't think Torres would be conscious.

40. rikster

Everybody is blaming the lack of action on the Weber play as the culprit behind this gong show, but I think it goes back to the Duncan Keith cheap shot on Sedin and the 2 1/2 games he got for it...

It opened the door to taking out the stars of the other team and the karma in all of this is while I agree with Toews and Quenville outrage, they are coming across a bit like Mario in Pittsburg when he said that he was so upset by the lack of respect amongst players he was thinking of getting out of the game...

Where was the speaking out when Keith took out Sedin from the Black Hawks?...

To think Rome got 4 games in the Cup finals and none of these cheap shots other than the one where the goon beats up a player are as bad?...

Oh well...

Saw the first period of the Panthers/Devils game and much of the third, it's hard to judge what happened when you look at some of the goals Brodeur let in....

Kovalchuk is not the type of player I would want on my team...He is so super soft and at times in the third didn't seem to even want to retrieve the puck...

Speaking of Broudeur, I wondered if this could be another destination for Luongo if the Nucks decide to deal him....

As a Canuck fan, the Devils are another team I'd like the league to allow the Kings to deal J Quick to in exchange for goalies...

I was thinking while watching the Red Wings vs the Preditors that the Preditors are not a very good team and rely solely on their goalie ( who I think is the best in the game ) and their top 3 blue liners...

They play rope a dope and take advantage of the relaxing of the clutch and grabbing that is allowed to go on in the playoffs to frustrate teams into overly forcing the play which is what happened last night...

They got a very big hockey god gift when the league decided to allow Weber to go unpunished and had he got what he deserved this series is likely 3 donut in favour of the Wings....Is Colin Campbell's nephew playing on the Preditors by chance?

The thing that scares me about the Hawks is that while they have so so goaltending and no depth, they have as good a core group as any team in the league which makes them dangerous to play against...

That core group allows them to stick around and always be in a game and many nights come out on top but it won't allow them to advance very far as nicks and bangs and players lost to injury begin to take their toll in any playoffs....

Take care...

41. Die-hard

Die-hard MVP

I don't get the hate for Crosby - the guy plays hard and yes, he plays a little bit dirty. He's also easily the best player in the world.

A guy like Forsberg was lauded for being not as good as Sid while being even dirtier. A guy like Giroux does the same things but nothing is said.

If I were Crosby I'd tell everyone to shut up. He's doing exactly what he should be doing, and the media sheep are taking him to task for it. If I didn't know better I'd swear this was another typical hatchet job by the Toronto media (they have nothing else to talk about) on a player who isn't from Ontario.

42. Die-hard

Die-hard MVP

My first idea on the Torres hit was, where's the penalty? And now that the refs have screwed up that call (should have been a 5 minute charging major for attempt to injure) where's the discipline for the refs? That was an absolutely awful missed call and nothing happens to the ref.

Good for the Panthers - they are showing me some heart and I'm liking it. If the Canucks don't make it past this round I know whose bandwagon I'm jumping on.

The Wings/Preds series is very similar to the Nucks/Kings series - the hockey is exactly like it was pre-lockout, there's tons of hooking and holding that isn't called and because of that the less skilled but ultra-defensive Preds are able to beat the Wings. I'm not blaming the Preds or Trotz at all because it's very effective, but it's about as exciting as watching grass grow.

The Hawks just aren't that deep so I can't see them winning this series without Hossa. Their top players will have to really step up, so we'll see if they can do it. Toews doesn't look back to 100% yet which is understandable given how much time he missed, so we'll see what happens.

43. m_peroni

m_peroni Hall of Fame

Here is why i hate Crosby.

He is a scumbag and a coward. Forsberg was a dirty sob, but he did that stuff to anyone on the ice. I lost respect for Crosby during that one game against the Panthers where a scrum happened in a previous shift. The next shift it was Brett McLean taking the face off against Crosby. The moment the linesman drops the puck, Crosby drops his stick and starts punching Brett McLean.

BRETT MCLEAN.

Forsberg was always dirty. Everyone knew that. But was he such a crybaby? Did he always whine to the refs? Did he just started punching a guy who does not even fight right off the face off?

No.

Crosby is a f'ing crybaby and that is why people hate him. And it is a shame because such a talented player should actually be a class act. Not a f'ing prick. He pulls Hartnell's hair from behind? That's idiotic. Classless, idiotic and cowardly.

Crosby McLean

44. m_peroni

m_peroni Hall of Fame

NYR @ Sens (Game 4): A surprisingly good PP display from the Rangers turned out to be wasted and useless. A 2-0 lead from this top notch defensive team should not be lost. Inexcusable play last night. They looked dopey...dull...not enough hustle. They asked for a loss and Ottawa answered. Smart game by the Senators despite some stupid penalties. They should be thankful that the Rangers PP is not a huge threat.

Pens @ Flyers (Game 4): What a circus. That's all i have to say. Two of the toughest teams to play against in the league are playing as the worst teams in the playoffs. Just.....a circus. Are they actually playing like this on purpose? It's unreal to see these games in this series. Just terrible. Fun to watch and entertaining? Yes, but i can't imagine their fans, the coaches, GMs, owners, and players feeling anything good about this.

Nucks @ Kings (Game 4): I TOLLLLLLD YOU SSOOOOO!!!!!! I know, it's just one game. But, the Canucks are VERY capable of winning three games in a row especially if the Kings will have a hard time figuring out Schneider. The Kings looked a bit too overconfident when leading and did not play as determined as the previous three games. They should expect a much tougher Canuck side in game 5. It's not going to be easy winning one more game for the Kings. I actually think it will be easier for the Canucks to win three games in a row than it is for the Kings to just win one.

45. Sir Rodney

Whether his leg was in or out of the crease, at least he wasn't in Edmonton.

Oh, sorry, wrong thread.

46. rikster

This is turning into the 180 playoffs...

The goaltending has been either outstanding or woeful...Doesn't seem to be a middle ground...

The overtime goal in Chicago was another example of woeful goaltending..

And then there is the goaltending in Philly...How do you accurately describe it?

Take care...

47. m_peroni

m_peroni Hall of Fame

Oh man...i was so sure that the Canucks had this series, especially with the way they started this game. They seemed to lose a lot of energy later on while the Kings kept building more energy.

Very disappointed in that Hamhuis mistake in OT. The team was going through a line change. Either you retreat behind your net, or you clear the puck out of the zone and off the boards. Hamhuis skated out of his zone and Lewis (was it?) caught up on him easily to cause that turnover.

Schneider and Quick put up the best goaltending match up in a playoff game so far this year. These two will be awesome goalies for the future of USA hockey.

Sorry Nucks fans : \ it must hurt. If it makes you feel any better, i'm about to get hurt tomorrow too as the #1 team out East will most likely be bounced.

------------

Penguins deserved to lose this series with the way they played that game. Just terrible hockey in all aspects of the game. No heroes. No one stepped up. Flyers pull off a huge upset, i think.

Boston lives another day. The Caps better watch out. I think the Bruins are starting to understand better how to penetrate the zone quickly and Holtby looked slow in lateral movements. Get him to move and the puck will hit the back of the net.

48. m_peroni

m_peroni Hall of Fame

Panthers @ Devils (Game 6): Absolutely BS reffing in this game. Three, 3, slashes on Panthers' sticks, near the ref, in which two sticks resulted in breaking. Isolated plays as well. I even heard the damn stick snap from the slash on TV. The ref was five yards away or so. I heard it. He didn't it? And "did not see it"?

Total BS. Unacceptable.

Also unacceptable was Florida's offense. Failed to get more offense flowing. Need to get at least 25 shots on net to win. The Devils mostly took practice-like shots on Clemmensen. But here is why you want to take as many of those as well. Clemmensen allowed a terribly soft-goal (the first one) from a bad angle. An innocent looking play turned into a goal. Got to take those shots. The Panthers get into this wonderland of making fancy passes. Doesn't work.

Garrison really missed. Theodore not playing Game 7? It would be a guaranteed loss for the Panthers. No offense to Clemmer....but yeah...

NYR @ Sens (Game 6): Goalie interference by Neil pushing Lundqvist away with his stick, plus an unknown conclusion if Neil managed to bring momentum to the puck with a clear kicking motion (the intention to kick it was there). Neil crying like a baby to the ref about Del Zotto hitting him with a clean shoulder right into his chest. His elbows were as low as they could ever be. Neil was screaming to the ref that Del Zotto got him with a high elbow. Michalek kicking Girardi did not get any penalization.

The Sens may have woken a really pissed off Rangers team, which could backfire.

Seeing as i had the worse of luck these past two weeks, i say both Panthers and Rangers lose Game 7.

49. Sir Rodney

Round Two Predictions

Washington over the Rangers in six. I expected a lot more from the Rangers in the Ottawa series. Washington played a sound defensive game against the Bruins who I think are a tougher playoff team than the Rangers. Unless the Rangers play far more consistently, they aren't going to advance.

Flyers over the Devils in five. The Flyers are flying and right now they would be my pick for the Stanley Cup. Brodeur may steal one but this isn't going to be a long series and could be over in four.

LA over St. Louis in seven. This one could go either way. The Kopitar, Richards, Carter and Penner factors give LA much more offense than they provided during the season and the contribution of the LA fourth line was a huge factor in the Canuck series. Add the long stick of Willie Mitchell and the snarky Doughty to that mix and you have the makings of an under rated team. Quick was sensational and there's no reason to feel he won't be again. The Blues are big but not as deep. I'd take Quick over Halak in key games.

Nashville over Phoenix in six. When you have horses like Weber and Suter and a bit of Hal Gill thrown in, there's not much room to move in the attacking zone. Rinne is solid when the shots do get through. Neither team has a lot of offense so this should be a boring series to watch. Whichever one claws through and gets a goal or two should win. I just think Nashville is starting to get a few more points than expected out of Fisher and Legwand who seems to find a way to hurt you. Senitmentally, I am pulling for Phoenix after the job they did on Chicago but can they do it a second time with smoke and mirrors? Smith will have to be incredible once more to even keep this one close. ZZZZZZZZZ!

50. m_peroni

m_peroni Hall of Fame

Re: Round Two Predictions

I think it could be Caps in 6, but i am pushing Caps in 7. I have no idea why Rangers fans wanted the Caps badly rather than the Flyers. We'll see!

Flyers over Devils in five. Devils have the advantage with Bryzgalov, but they looked so average throughout the whole series. I thought the post-game coverage was an utter joke by the NHL Network as if the Devils were awesome. They played like crap. Brodeur was good at best. Kovalchuk, Elias, and Parise were ghosts. They got a lucky turnover that caught Theodore by surprise. The Panthers had the edge in the OTs. I think the Flyers will eat them up physically and obviously have much more offensive power than the Panthers.

I am thinking about Kings over Blues in 7 as well, but i'll stick with my original thought that it will be the Blues to win it in 7.

I say Nashville sweeps the Coyotes. Phoenix was lucky to have faced Crawford, who was average. They got outplayed by the Hawks in every game. Good luck beating Rinne.