Vancouver vs. Nashville

Discussion in 'Hockey Talk' started by Connecticut, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Connecticut

Connecticut 1st Round Pick

Game 1 is in the books, a closer-than-it-should have been 1-0 win. A pretty dominating victory for 1 goal game, but I sure would have liked a slightly bigger cushion.

You've got to believe Nashville will put together a better effort on Saturday, but that was some pretty weak sauce out there. As Trotz said post-game it was mostly their forwards, but they lost so many puck battles, so many scrambled draws, and I thought this series was going to be a slugfest, but they barely hit anyone. Having said that, seeing the final seconds tick off the clock was a relief -- you'd hate to let this one slip through your fingers and then bite you in the ass later on.

It was really nice to see Luongo post the shutout -- that's 2 GA in the last 9 periods (if you count the partial OT periods). He certainly wasn't called on to do much through 2, but he came up big when it counted and they didn't leave him much margin for error. I also thought he did a pretty good job handling the puck outside his crease, at least by his standards.

And full credit to Rinne, who was very solid, but man does it feel like we're snakebitten the last couple of games. I doubt there's a stretch all year where our conversion rate on golden opportunities, let alone lucky bounces has been so low. We obviously need to adjust a little to get more traffic in front of Rinne, but we did at least a semi-decent job tonight, just not much to show for it. Thank god for Higgins finishing that beautiful pass by Lapierre, set up by an even nice couple of plays at the blue line by Bieksa.

I'll take the 1-0 score line and the 1-0 series lead, especially in a game a lot of people were expecting us to lose. We played a really solid game, outhustling a team for whom hustling is their signature, we'll need to keep that level of compete up because I see them bringing more to the table in Game 2. Having said that, their PK looked completely discombobulated and we were very unlucky not to score. If they don't tighten up massively, and stay out of the box a whole lot better than they did tonight, the Canucks' PP is going to lay the hurt on them sooner or later, and if the games continue to be this close it could really swing the balance a lot. All I really want after this Game is for Vancouver to avoid the self-satisfaction they experienced after going up 3-0 on Chicago, but you've got to think they've learned their lesson, right?

2. Sir Rodney

It is going to be hard to keep out of the box if the refs don't get their act together. That slash on Weber could have broken his thumb and effected the balance of the season for Nashville. The Ballard hip check was a thing of beauty and to have that called clipping? Come on!!!

As the series goes on, I agree that you will see a better Nashville team but there's no reason to expect less from the Canucks. They had another gear left and so did the crowd who sat on their hands for the better part of the game.

There's no question that Nashville has an excellent back end in Rinne, Weber and Suter but that is still considerably less than what Chicago was able to throw at the Canucks. By comparison to the last series, this first game was like watching paint dry. Nashville had better be prepared to survive a lot of power plays with guys like Tootoo and O'Brien clutching and grabbing. Sooner or later, they are going to get called and then I don't care how good the back three are, eventually gaps will be found.

These two teams split the four game season series with all four games being similar to what we saw tonight. That all changes with the familiarity that a seven game playoff series brings. Talent finds a way to pull away and I fully expect to see that by about the third or fourth game. I can live with the 1-0 win in spite of an anticipated let down. I don't anticipate seeing any other games with less than three goals scored and when you compare the front end talent of the two teams, that augers well for a Canuck victory in a comparatively short series.

Keep the faith.

3. m_peroni

m_peroni Hall of Fame

Effort won't be too much of an issue. They're just not that good a team.

4. Die-hard1

Die-hard1 6th Round Pick

I had the same thought - is this what we are in for after a brilliant Chicago series? It was hockey played to not make mistakes, not to actually create anything. Barry Trotz gets way too many accolades for what he does - lots of teams do nothing but play defense and get decent results, see the Habs or the Bruins.

That said, good result and a well deserved win for the Canucks. For some reason I never felt that Nashville was going to score, unlike Chicago last series.

It's only one game though, the Nucks need to keep the pressure up because a split is exactly what the Preds want.

5. Original Beast

Original Beast 2nd Team All-Star

i HATE this kind of hockey.
    but what can Trotz do?? he's got limited talent/skill and no money to add.
    he's lucky , like all other "trap" teams, that own a superstar goalie. without Rinne, they are toast. (ie. bottom feeder).

curious what will happen with Weber. he's wasted there. just like Nash is wasted in Columbus.

Preds will be much more physical next game, but they dont really stand a chance against the nucks if Van puts some traffic infront of their goalie.

ps. coach V - stop taking Ballard out of the line up. let him make the odd mistake that you allow other players make. he has so much more to give, as evidenced by that great rush and solid passing/skating all game, and a superb hip check as noted earlier. i have Aaron Rome. i actually like Alberts more.

6. rikster

rikster 2nd Team All-Star

Officiating...

I was wondering during the Chicago series if the league should assign an officiating crew for each series and let them work the entire series...

Especially when you consider the Vancouver/Chicago series was played at a pace that was not matched in the other series...Might take the officials a game or two to catch up to the speed and tempo...Would this approach give more consistancy to how the games are called?...

Rinne was outstanding, but the game reminded me of the Flames 2004 run...They clogged the middle of the ice which didn't allow pucks to get to the top half of the net and Kipper stopped everything shot at the lower half of the net...

As good as Rinne was with his glove, I don't remember a glove save made in the top half of the net....

It's so much more relaxing watching the Preds play as compared to the Hawks...

As I've said before, I don't think there is a team in the NHL which has a more talented core group of 6 or 7 players, the Canucks included, as the Hawks have...

With so much talent you never get a sense that things are under control and you watch on pins and needles waiting for Toews or Kane or Hossa or Sharpe or Keith or Seabrook or Bolland to break your heart...

Much more relaxing last night...

Take care...

7. Lost Avenger

Lost Avenger Initiation

Agree with Sir Rod about the horrible officiating (both ways). But sadly, I'm getting used to it. Boring game, but no doubt things will heat up (thank you Bieksa, Ballard, Torres!). It'll be interesting to watch SOB's interactions with various Canucks (I heard he didn't get along with a few of the boys). And I'm pretty sure Tootoo will feel entitled to some revenge after the Ballard "clip" (LOL!). I mean c'mon, am I blind or did Tootoo jump up at the last second?

GO CANUCKS GO!!!

8. m_peroni

m_peroni Hall of Fame

I guess the Preds played harder, but what the heck did Luongo go down for on that play? He lost his positioning by doing that.

9. Lost Avenger

Lost Avenger Initiation

Wow, it’s pretty quiet here these days.

Looks like Fraser agrees on the Ballard hit:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=364141

Tootoo jumped, not a penalty....

Anyway, looks like we got us a classic goaltender battle goin on.

I say it's time to try Torres with the twins. Or perhaps bring Hodgson in?? We've gotta get these swedish meatballs rolling! OMG Sammy was horrible...

So Connecticut, Die-hard, Rikster... you guys ever check out CCentral at all these days?

10. m_peroni

m_peroni Hall of Fame

I still think Ballard was too low on that hip check and it cold have been dangerous even if Tootoo did not jump. Not like Tootoo was already a foot in the air at the time of contact either. Anything from knee and under = penalty. Above knee = great.

Nonetheless....i love Ballard's game and i wouldn't have called it a penalty :p

11. Connecticut

Good to hear Fraser finally disagrees with the refs on something -- that was one of the worst calls these playoffs and there have been a lot of them. I really can't stomach the rationalizing contortions someone has to make to call that a penalty. Not to mention the ridiculous number of things the refs let go across the two games.

It really exacerbates the problem with the automatic 2-minutes for the puck over the glass (like Bieksa got in OT) -- the refs are using their discretion up and down the ice to basically let slide anything short of premeditated murder and all of a sudden this gets you a penalty. Inexcusable. How can we reasonably let refs use their judgment on virtually everything else in the game, but here we don't trust them. Puck goes over the glass by half an inch, the offending player's stick contacted during his release? Doesn't matter, it's a penalty. Embarrassing.

As for CCentral, I haven't gone there in years, sort of fell off my radar -- I remember there being some decent posters there, but outweighed by the really annoying ones. HF is becoming the same way, sadly. This is the only place to come for decent hockey talk, only problem is our traffic has slowed to a drip. At least people are still checking in from time to time.

As far as Game 2 goes, I guess we have nobody to blame but ourselves for not scoring a second goal, either to put them away or in OT, but it wasn't for lack of glorious chances. I think fatigue started to catch up to them, which is why 2 days' rest will be nice. Also, less Samuelsson would be nice -- seems like he's skating on the 4th line now and off PP1. It certainly wouldn't hurt to get some bounces like the one the Preds got on the triple-deflection Suter goal. Those happen, but I wish they didn't happen to us :)

Personally I think the floodgates are about to open for us offensively. Against Nashville that may still only be 3-4 goals, but that would be enough. The Sedins haven't been quite as bad as their critics contend -- they get so many of their points on the PP that it partly explains why they've been off the scoresheet since we're averaging just over zero PPs per game. And Kesler is so overdue it's not even funny.

12. rikster

Pretty tough to call penalties based on the letter of the law during the regular season and then once the playoffs begin manage penalties, especially with the younger officials...

Why can't they call the games the way they did for 82 games?...

Canucks Central, eh...

Remember posting there a long, long time ago...Is Thinker still running the show?..

Take care...

13. Die-hard1

Die-hard1 6th Round Pick

Wow.....Thinker.....now that's a blast from the past. I haven't been to CC in years either, we've all been posting since the mid/late 1990's and those places have changed big time. Back then the Canucks weren't much of a team and the fanbase was nowhere near what it is now - I find your posts just get lost in those places.

I'm not worried about the reffing so much, I'm worried about the hockey games. I'm as big a Nucks fan as there is and even I'm bored watching this crap. Trotz is the new Lemaire - effective but just terrible for the game.

That said, the Nucks do need to find a way to beat the Preds and it's probably not going to be outscoring them in a big way. Patience is the key - can't get frustrated.

14. rikster

I wasn't able to watch the last game, have it on pvr, but decided not to bother watching it when I heard the team didn't show up to play a full 60...

I thought they learned that lesson after games 4 and 5 in the Chicago series..

We are down to the final 8 teams, doesn't matter what style of play got them to this point, they are all very good teams and for the Nucks to take games off really bugs me...

Take care...

15. Connecticut

Watch the two OT periods, that was more fun, at least until the end ;)

16. m_peroni

m_peroni Hall of Fame

Good God........what the hell was that call on Weber? Kesler holding his stick was ridiculously obvious.

17. Sir Rodney

Let's face it Mick, it was a make up call for the Smithson hit on Bieksa. One probably should have been called, the other just as probably shouldn't. It all balances out.

As for Kesler's actions, once Weber stuck his stick up under his arm pit, (during the season, that would have been one of those ticky tacky calls the refs seem to be able to make quite frequently), he was under no obligation to make it easy for Weber to pull his stick out, particularly when he was being punched in the back of the head. Smart move on his part. Dumb move on Weber's for getting his stick up there in the first place.

18. Die-hard1

Die-hard1 6th Round Pick

It wasn't a penalty - but hallelujah, it's the first time all playoffs the Nucks have had more pp's than their opposition (4 to 3) so something had to finally give!

I'm sure the Nucks will take it, it's about time they got a break. Again, another boring game to watch - even Bettman is probably cheering for the Preds to get knocked out as the casual fan definitely doesn't want to watch that crap.

19. Connecticut

The whining on the Weber penalty is just such malarkey -- in the current NHL that is a penalty every day of the week and twice on Sundays. And if you watch it, in no way is Kesler holding his stick, he's just not making any effort to release it. And as Sir said, it was in large part just compensating for the missed call on the Bieksa hit -- lucky for him he had enough separation between him and the boards, but if he's a couple inches farther that's 5 and a game and a possible suspension, brutal that they let it go. Just shows you how outcome dependent reffing is, even though there's nothing in the rule book about the outcomes. I was also baffled by the missed call where O'Brien took a flying elbow at Hodgson's head -- you can let things go in the playoffs, but that was just egregious. So complain about chicken wings all you want Trotzy, Preds still only have four goals after 15 periods, 2 of which (both late tying ones)were extremely lucky bounces.

I'm pleased that I'm really starting to dislike the Preds -- not hating, like Chicago, but still, it makes the games more fun. Watching O'Brien has been fun too, if he'd been wearing a Canucks uniform he would have at least 6 penalties by now, somehow the Nashville uniform must be a cloaking device since he's got zero. Anyway, as long as the Canucks minimize their mental lapses I can't see Nashville winning 3 out of 4.

20. rikster

Agree, pretty obvious penalty post lockout that will always be called during the regular season...

The playoffs are a different matter, who knows when and if it gets called...

Take care

21. m_peroni

m_peroni Hall of Fame

Not it doesn't. Who is #24 on the Preds? He was interfered with in Nucks zone moments before and was even slow to get up and he did not even have the puck. Then the too many men on the ice that the Nucks got away with, and i don't know how because everyone saw it because it was such a slow, confusing line change with the puck between their skates.

Two missed calls on the Nucks, and there is no make up call for those, but for the Preds yes? Come on....that's ridiculous.

And in other words you are approving Kesler cheating, holding Weber's stick, which is a penalty in itself?

Guys.... you complained about the Hawks series with bad reffing, but to show bias knowing that the Nucks got away with obvious calls is ridiculous.

22. m_peroni

m_peroni Hall of Fame

Not sure how it was a boring game. At least, definitely not in the third period.

23. Sir Rodney

Hi again Mick,

I think you are putting words in my mouth. With all that had been let go, I didn't think a penalty should have been called on the play either. My comment about it being a make up call was simply a rationale for why they might have called it. It falls in to the category of the overall crap shoot of when or if the refs will call a penalty which has been driving the players and fans nuts. I am happy the Canucks won but I can sympathize with Nashville on how they did it.

What I do take issue with is your assertion that Kesler was the one who should have received the penalty. Weber stuck his stick (or should it be stick his stuck?) with his left hand under Kesler's right arm from the left side while holding him with his right hand. That pretty much constitutes a full 360 degree wrap around. As the play continued, Kesler had both hands on his stick and tried to work the puck up the boards. Weber's stick was still hooked under Kesler's right arm pit and couldn't pull it out. For Kesler to be the one to get the penalty for holding makes no sense. He is under no obligation to pivot counter clockwise so that Weber's stick could be untangled. Kesler sold the hook, no question but was he the one doing the holding? No way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sb-uNmVchkk

24. Connecticut

You are waaaay out in left field here Peroni. I'm not going to say I would have been happy with the call on Weber if he was on my team, or that the refs didn't let anything go. But you haven't been watching if this is your take-away from the game. The Preds have been getting away with murder all series long. Shane O'Brien by himself could have been called for a half dozen calls, including a flying elbow to Hodgson's head. And that's Vancouver's first overtime PP in the series(actually first since the St. Louis series in 2009, since then we've had 6 against). We buried our PP chance, Nashville failed to scored on the two they got in Game 2.

And to call holding on Kesler on the Weber penalty? You're going to have to work to get some of your credibility back with me on that one.

25. Die-hard1

Die-hard1 6th Round Pick

Seriously? Interference? Have you watched any of the playoffs? There's interference on just about every play, if the refs were calling that there would be 30 pp's a game.

I agree the Nucks FINALLY got a break from the refs last night - it took 10 games but it finally happened. I disagree with most of the Nuck fans here, I don't think the Weber penalty was a good call in the context of what they were letting go all game, but at some point you have to get a break.

As I said, it's the first time in 10 playoff games that the Nucks have received more pp's than their opposition - and this from a team that wasn't heavily penalized during the regular season. Something had to give, and I'm not going to whine about it or listen to an idiot like Trotz whine about it - the next time his team plays a game that is even slightly exciting, one where they are actually trying to score, will be the first.