Well Crap!!!!

Discussion in 'Hockey Talk' started by Sir Rodney, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Sir Rodney

Sir Rodney
    Expand Collapse
    NHL

Hi Gang,

Time to break out the black arm bands. It looks like the re-tooling of the Canucks is about to begin. I'm too drained right now to start the speculation but at least we can get in to the who stays, who goes debate to give us a topic or two involving the Canucks.

I came out of this series with absolutely no hate towards the Kings. Unlike the previous rounds with the Blackhawks and particularly the Bruins, I thought the Kings were full measure for their win. I can see supporting them as they move on as I really like Willie Mitchell and how much of an impact he made. That damn long stick of his!!!

This is becoming the changing of the guard year in so many series. The LA win was just the one that hurt the most. Personally, I don't like the Capitals but man do I want to see them knock off the Bruins. Now if Phoenix can close out the Blackhawks, there won't be a team left in the West that I wouldn't be unhappy to see go all the way.

Mick, I just wish your confidence had been enough. The odds were stacked against the Nucks down 0-3.

2. rikster

rikster
    Expand Collapse
    2nd Team All-Star

Underdogs...

Remember when the Nucks were considered underdogs?...

I kinda liked being an underdog that surprised people...

Take care...

Nobody expected that!

3. Die-hard

Die-hard
    Expand Collapse
    MVP

I feel the same Sir - except for Dustin Brown whose flopping is embarrassing (he makes Kesler look like an honest player) I don't hold any ill will towards the Kings.

The Canucks were beaten by a better team, plain and simple. They just didn't show up when they needed to. Edler was about as bad as I've seen a dman play in any playoff round, so now a decision needs to be made there - do you sign him long term for big dollars? Do you explore a trade? Kesler, Booth, Higgins, Hansen, Burrows, Bieksa were all invisible. You can't win when your gritty/heart and soul players don't show up.

So I guess we'll see some big changes this offseason, assuming there is a season next year that is. One of the goalies will be gone, the D will be somewhat retooled as well. It's blatantly obvious that another top level scorer is needed up front as well.

Some tough holes for Gillis to fill, but he's got some assets. We'll see what he does.

4. Clint27

Clint27
    Expand Collapse
    MVP

Flash forward another round...

...and the Kings are showing that the win over the Canucks wasn't a fluke.
    Even Penner looks like he should stay in the NHL.

5. m_peroni

m_peroni
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Fame

Re: Flash forward another round...

Kings were a solid team but coasted to the playoffs. Still, the Canucks did not put forth a good display of hockey. They beat themselves more than the Kings beat them. The Blues were a piece of cake because of their injuries and terrible goaltending from Elliot. And the Coyotes were a fluke riding on a hot goalie while the Preds choked and management screwed up by bringing in Radulov.

Kings have not really been challenged, but i think they will win the Cup anyway. Devils suck and if the Rangers get there they will be overly fatigued by long series in previous rounds, including this one as a possibility.

Congrats Holmgren, you just traded away two soon to be Cup winners! And people are saying he should be the GM of the year? What a joke.

6. Die-hard

Die-hard
    Expand Collapse
    MVP

Worst playoffs ever - there hasn't been one epic series yet save for maybe the Flyers/Pens, which was good because there were so many awful mistakes.

The Devs/Rangers have been entertaining off the ice at least - on the ice it's still awful to watch.

7. m_peroni

m_peroni
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Fame

Last night's game was extremely exciting.

How about the fact that the four teams remaining had/have the top goalies in the league? Brodeur, Lundqvist, Quick (one a definite HOF, the other two most likely in the future) and one of the best goalies this season in Mike Smith?

Probably that is why you don't see an "exciting" 8-2.

8. maineblackbear

maineblackbear
    Expand Collapse
    1st Team All-Star

Not a big thing.

Bruins absolutely will be back in the big dance VERY soon! LOTS of reasons to feel very good moving forward:

Another year of experience and growth for Tyler Seguin. He is ready to take the next step into the top 20 or 25 offensive forwards in the game.

Bruins have the best junior d man ready to step onto TD Bank Garden ice this coming season....Doug Hamilton.

The deep role of quality youth is getting ready to step in now...Jared Knight, Ryan Spooner, Hamilton will be the next group that steps up...possibly next season for all 3.

Last season was the start of a lot of good things for this team. Yup, they went out early this year. But....they still won the Cup the year before, and it'll be back to Boston sooner rather than later.

Later

9. maineblackbear

maineblackbear
    Expand Collapse
    1st Team All-Star

Its key.

You gotta have great tending. Look at last year....Luongo choked and choked away the series, whilke Thomas was otherworldly. But then again, it shouldnt have been unexpected. Thomas had been great for 3 years already.

10. Sir Rodney

Sir Rodney
    Expand Collapse
    NHL

Hi MBB,

I found it interesting that a lot of the criticism for the Bruins' failure to advance was laid on guys like Lukic, Krejci and Thornton who weren't as dominant as they were last Spring. If these kids that you are excited about are the smaller skilled type of player as opposed to the more physical types that seem to be the new standard for success, you may well be expressing the same frustration we have for the past two years. You only have a limited time left for both Thomas and Chara who were the corner stones for the Bruins Stanley Cup win. Chara will be the hardest of the two to replace. Guys that large who log that many minutes are extremely scarce. The Bruins aren't alone in looking forward to the new guard coming but that's not a guarantee that the recent success you've experienced will fall into place so readily. Skill is great but size wins unfortunately.

Take care.

11. maineblackbear

maineblackbear
    Expand Collapse
    1st Team All-Star

Guys like Spooner and Knight are smaller guys, yes. BUT they are also, especially in Knights case, physical as well.

As for the guys you mentioned...Krecji was the biggest disappointment. He just didnt show up at all.

Lucic? Honestly, he has been a non-factor in 2 straight postseasons. He did nothing during the Cup run.

When Thomas moves on...Rask will step in. Many Bs fans believe he is the better of the 2 already.

Chara? He'll be here for 5 more seasons of high quality play.

Later

12. Sir Rodney

Sir Rodney
    Expand Collapse
    NHL

Chara

Hi Jeff,

Chara is 35 and plays a very physical style which will make it pretty tough to play another five years. I agree that it's possible you could get another five but it's bound to take it's toll.

13. maineblackbear

maineblackbear
    Expand Collapse
    1st Team All-Star

Re: Chara

Hi Sir,

The main reason I say 5 years, is because he is a conditioning freak.

He is a bicycling and wrestling freak of nature. His off seasons are filled with cycling and working out with wrestlers.

He is in supreme condition....possibly thre single best conditioned hockey player I have ever seen.

Later